Frolicking around Thailand with a group of Italian Supermodels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 17, 2020.

1. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    So nice to hear from you again! I'm glad you're still out there living your life your way. Can't wait to see and read more of what you've been up to all these months!!
  2. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You make two great points.
    The Sled is an awesome all around bike.
    And I have used everything from scooters to 1300 cc muscle bikes to ride around Thailand. But there is something special about riding a Ducati - no matter where in the world you are.
    It's the sound, the feel and the eye candy appeal of the bikes that makes them so special.
    G B, Foiler, Smidty and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mcahron

Mcahron Feeling Fluffy, don't ruin it!

Oddometer:
    Ducati vs. Magic String? Lecherous minds want to know.
    Bgunn, Foiler and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Just stopping long enough to stretch our legs, soak up the scenery and take a photo. And then back on the bike for more incredible riding

20200607_002548.jpg

Some of our group pose for a photo

IMG-20200607-WA0007.jpg

Coming down the mountain, I was trying to keep up with David and Pepper. My bike was not holding its line. I thought it was just me at first getting scared that I would wreck this beautiful bike. When we got down the mountain a ways, I pulled over to check air pressure in my tires by pushing on them with my thumb. The rear tire was obviously low. Upon further observation, I noticed a nail in the tire. The pressure was not seriously low, so we just rode on to find a tire repair shop. And this is what we found. It was probably the mechanic's first time working on a Ducati.....and probably his last

20200607_014620.jpg

David points out my nail in the rear tire. A small plug was all we needed and we were back on our way.

20200607_013534.jpg

This brings up a good point. There are a few tour companies in Thailand. This is the only one that uses Ducati motorcycles. And you can of course rent many different types of bikes as well. But you have to be careful because some companies have piles of shit to rent or run on their tours. I rented bikes from other companies with blown shocks, bad brakes and shot steering head bearings. Of course these things make the motorcycle very dangerous to ride. And each time, I have pointed out the shortcomings, they just wash the bike and send it out as is to the next sucker.
    This company has impeccably maintained Ducati motorcycles. For example, most companies use the cheapest, longest wearing tires on their bikes.....some no name generic brand. And this means lack of grip at best. I had Pirelli Super Corsas on my Ducati. This tires are not cheap and they don't last long because they are sticky. And in Thailand, because they are imported, they cost double of what you and I would normally pay because of the high importation taxes in Thailand. Another example, the luggage on the bikes were made by Kriega, which I think makes some of the best luggage around, but again, not inexpensive. In fact, I think it is what I am going to use on my next big trip. DART makes their own quality luggage racks. And that reminds me of a funny story......
    On another bike I rented in Thailand, they also had a custom made luggage rack, but the material they used was soft iron. Years (or perhaps months) of vibration, the metal had fatigued to the point, you could simply bend the metal with your hands and the rear rack had sagged down hitting the rear of the bike. I pointed this out to the rental company and all they did was tighten the mounting bolts.....like that somehow was going to solve the issue. Well, just a week later, I came back to return the bike and had the rack bungied to the back of the bike. It had completely broken off. They of course looked at me like it was my fault. So lesson learned. Be careful whose bike you are riding over there. I had no issues with my Hypermotard as it was in like new condition.

20200608_015525.jpg

The down side to riding such a nice bike, if I were to put just one scratch in the bike, it would show
    BillUA, Rich Rider, Foiler and 6 others like this.
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Normally the roads are dry and clear in Thailand. But this was the start of the rainy season. So there was some mud sides across the road. Thanks to our riders ahead to point out the dangers.

BTW, the best time of year to ride in Thailand in November thru February. March and April can be hot, but still nice once in the mountains. May can be nice too as it starts to cool down but there is a chance of rain. June and July have more rain but absolutely beautiful. And August, September are the rainiest months but usually not more than an hour of rain each afternoon. October is the shoulder season, usually with nice weather with a chance of some rain. So there you go....
    BillUA, roadcapDen, Foiler and 8 others like this.
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Bikes get washed daily so your Ducati is always shinny

20200608_023310.jpg

After week of fun, we logged in well over 2000 kms on some of the best roads in Thailand and even in the world.
    I was skeptical about doing a tour because my expectations were set high and I can say, that the guys at DART exceeded my expectations.
    While, not exactly cheap, it is a great value for your money as it would cost 3 times as much to do a trip like this any where else in the world.

IMG-20200607-WA0009.jpg

Thanks to the crew for making this trip a memorable and fun experience.

20200608_023817.jpg

BTW, I have been dreaming of owning a Hypermotard ever since
    BillUA, RJ44, Rich Rider and 10 others like this.
  7. Mcahron

Mcahron Feeling Fluffy, don't ruin it!

Oddometer:
    Nice little RR Ed! Thank you
  8. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR! Doing a trip like this is on my radar!

Tahoe
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I still have a few more photos and videos to post, but I need to find them in my files.
    Also, I need to finish this one up because I will be starting a new RR and a new Ed-venture tomorrow. And like the last one, it will be Rad-icle but this time with a couple of heavy-weights.
    It will be like DeJa vu all over again.......Hasta la vista Winter
    BillUA, Foiler, Smidty and 6 others like this.
  10. BoxerPilot

BoxerPilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ed still lovin the show... have fun and thanks for the getaway
  11. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Put the link in here Ed!

Heading to pick up Rad in TX and then aim south?
  12. DanVFR

DanVFR Traveller

Oddometer:
    So great to hear from you Ed,
    the last time I was on ADV I was in Australia 6 years ago and I think you were in Europe.

Interesting that I'm now in Canada and your in Asia, glad you are doing well!
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
  14. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A fun read. Those look like great go quick roads. I’ll move to your next RR. Petepilot
  15. RJ44

RJ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed the ride report. Glad to hear that the trip was so enjoyable on the Ducati.

Rob