From 1190 to a DL-1000 ? Buffeting & comfort

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Paul2020, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Paul2020

Paul2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Slap some sense in to me -- after getting an excellent, low km KTM 1190 S and changing ALL the fluids, putting a DNA filter and UNI gasket, and getting it all perfect -- now I took a ride on my 2015 DL-1000, and I thought it was more comfortable. I was planning to sell it after getting the 1190, but now I'm entertaining the idea of selling the 1190 instead.

By more comfortable I mean less buffeting (both bikes have Givi Airflow adjustable screens), and the seating position -- like sitting more IN the bike than ON the bike, and I'm more upright and relaxed on the DL-1000. (I do have up-and-back bar risers on the DL-1000).

The biggest issue for me is the buffeting and wind-noise. I need to be comfortable when riding. Yes, the 1190 looks better, has more power and all that -- but comfort is really #1.

Not saying it's really bad -- but when I ride them back to back -- the DL-1000 is just smooth air sailing in comparison ... seems the Givi Airflows don't act the same -- the angle looks a bit more upright on the 1190 version. It's not my head getting knocked around as the air is going over, it's more from -- don't know, the sides -- perhaps the gap above the dash -- not sure.

I'm sure if I tried every windscreen in the universe I might find one I like that changes the comfort level -- but I've always thought the Airflow (being adjustable and all) was the ultimate -- and it's just not cutting it.

Knock some sense in to me ... but don't talk about power and looks -- I already know that ... the DL-1000 has good power where it counts ... losing my license speeds are probably something I shouldn't do anyway. Comfort just might trump looks and top-end power...

Tall riders -- what windscreen solution are you using on the 1190?

I'm 6'3" and 34 inseam by the way.
  2. danballa

danballa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm using the tallest Madstad (22" from memory) on my 1190, and am pretty happy with it. Took a while to find the ideal spot, but it's pretty smooth air for me now
  3. Paul2020

Paul2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How tall are you danballa?
  4. danballa

danballa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6'3. 34in inseam
  5. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
  6. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
  7. nigelj

nigelj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want zero buffeting/wind/noise, use the car!

What do I know, I'm only 5'9"
    Lewilewi, whipit1k, Doktor and 3 others like this.
  8. Knapper-UK

Knapper-UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my 1190 I use the screen and headlight mask from a 1290 SA-T. I'm only 6' but it works for me. No buffeting and when a dealer gave me a 1290 S for the day as a loan bike when mine was being serviced, the 1290 felt draughtier and more exposed in comparison.
  9. crossbones

crossbones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth,
    I'm a similar model to you;
    6'4
    34" inseam.

Three years ago, I went with the tallest Madstad screen and had an immediate improvement.
    (There were annoyances, like the Madstad tended to reflect the headlight back and light up....Had to spray-paint flat grey in the affected area, which made it 92% better.....They may have addressed that)
    It took some fiddling, but it totally eliminated all of the buffeting and most of the noise.
    2 years ago, I also ended up getting foldable mirrors (Can't remember brand) and they really helped with noise.
  10. 3rdgeargrndrr

3rdgeargrndrr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take them offroad and readjust your paradigm. Thats where the adventures really shine.
    If I was slabbing I would have just gotten the h2 sx tourer.
  11. Matt fe2o3

Matt fe2o3 I think.

Oddometer:
    I plan on picking up an SAS next week and am also tall 6.3 and 34" (seems like a trend). I was over at Reno KTM last weekend and a guy with a 1290 came in and he had the Madstad (recognized it immediately). On the Capo the Madstad was the cure, not sure I'm loving the thought of changing out a windscreen - but all the info is very good.
  12. Paul2020

Paul2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah -- not sure I want to do the expensive testing of a Madstad after buying this Airflow (not sure it'd make that much difference since the Airflow is adjustable) ... Gonna try and work with Givi... Anyway, after multiple back to back test runs, decided the Dl1000 will be leaving my stable. Nice and comfortable, but darn, when I twist the wrist the 1190 just goes.... Priorities I guess :). The 1190 seems to be the one machine that perhaps replaces the sport bike, off-road machine, and cruiser (after I get on my Rox pivot risers) :)
  13. -clinton-

-clinton- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a clip on extension from amazon on my KTM. Looks like crap. Works like a champ.
    Barekat likes this.
  14. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    I found that changing mirrors got rid of most of the buffeting issues.
    nigelj likes this.
  15. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's your problem, the Airflow was the worst screen I ever tried on my 1090 / 1190 / 1290 (and had about 6 so far)

This has been discussed in another topic in depth, have a look through that, for me the best was the Puig Touring.....

...But perhaps you just prefer the more relaxed pace of life on the Suzuki?

Nothing wrong with that, I came from a Super Tenere to the 1190 and the change was similar, the KTM you are sat "on" rather than "in", it feels more lively and "wants to go" where the S10 wanted to plod, the S10 would cruise happily at 60mph in top, the 1190 did not fully smooth out until about 70 (but as it is 20 mph faster not surprising, and what the gearbox is for)

I think much of the time I would be equally happy on either bike, on the Motorway or in awful weather I would rather be on the Yamaha, but the 1190 engine was intoxicating and made me smile every time I opened the taps, even in the mid-range - even the 1290 I now have does not quite give me that feeling, it is technically a better power plant with more grunt everywhere, but I really miss my 1190.

The 1290 is a bit smoother and with the Cruise makes for a better touring bike, but it feels bigger and in some ways a bit more like the Yamaha (or GS) except for typically awful KTM seats, for me the Puig Screen and Ergo seats was all the 1190 needed to make it comfy enough over distance.
  16. zipcoolie

zipcoolie Bon Vivant

Oddometer:
    Same here. Tried a variety of windscreens, swapped out the mirrors and was able to go back to the stock windscreen.
  17. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Made no difference to buffeting for me changing to different mirror.
  18. Roadhawg011

Roadhawg011 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should buy a car? :D WAY more comfortable.
  19. sherloc

sherloc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run the OEM 1290 SA screen and mask, works great. Screen by itself helps, the SA mask widens the the air pocket, which gets the air around the body. The SA screen uses spacers, and you can stack these to get more air gap between the screen and mask. The spacers also allow you more adjustment up and down with the screen. Pic how’s 2 spacers, have added a third, and screen is still rock solid.

SA Mask without the s teen works great as a summer screen, clear air at the helmet. I’m also 6’3”, 34” inseam. 9B91710E-56D4-4855-B4EC-7DDCDCD6FE34.jpeg

YMMV
  20. Paul2020

Paul2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks -- does that get the air up and over your helmet as well at your height?