1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

From Agde (FR) to Delft (NL) in October (and back)

Discussion in 'Europe' started by tagesk, Sep 24, 2010.

1. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    In the week-end around 24. October my wife is going to Agde (in France) to visit some friends.
    I'll take here there on the bike on Thursdag. It is only 750 km from here.
    Then, as I have nothing to do in Agde, I'll spend Friday riding to visit a friend in Delft (The Netherlands).
    Slightly further at 1.200 km.
    Then, on Monday, I ride back to Agde, and on Tuesday we ride home.

Both Google Maps and Mapsource (Garmin) offers two suggestions.
    One is via Paris, the other via Luxenbourg.
    I have drawn them both on this map.

The question is: Which one should I choose?
    In particular: This is end of October; is it likely that I will encounter snow on any of them?

[TaSK]
  2. Blackbert

Blackbert Factory Rambler

Oddometer:
    Why not take 1 up and the other down?

Biggest chance for cold weather on the route to Paris I think, it goes trough the Massif Central. Then again, that route will be more scenic, for the same reason.
  3. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    I used Google Maps' "traffic" to look at the flow of traffic around Paris on Friday afternoons.
    Traffic seems to be crawling in the area at about 18:00 in the evening.

So up on Friday through Luxembourg and down on Monday through Paris?

[TaSK]
  4. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
    My advice would be to always avoid Paris unless that's where you're going.:D
    Seriously, the traffic around Paris is always heavy and turns to nightmare if there is an accident, rain, etc. Besides, the ride from Orleans all the way to southern Belgium is boring as hell. So I'd opt for the Luxembourg route. That said, I'd also stay east across Belgium, via Liege, and The Netherlands, Eindhoven, as much as possible because of the truck traffic between Rotterdam, Antwerp, and Brussels. More scenic, too.

1200 kms a day will be a challenge. Weather could be just about anything that time of year but I'd prepare for cool and rain.
  5. Blackbert

Oddometer:
    Correct. From just South of Brussels all the way past Antwerp can be a PITA in evening rush hour. Same thing the other way in the morning.
  6. Richard-NL

Richard-NL Sidecar Fan

Oddometer:
    I would advice to take the route from Luxembourg to Liëge, Maastricht, Eindhoven etc. v.v. Get some cheap gas in Luxembourg too. You probably arrive after rush hours in NL. Take the route in NL from Maastricht to Delft as given in Google maps. At Eindhoven turn off your GPS, when it doesn’t have the latest update and follow the signs. Checked for road works and it seems to be a quiet weekend. Snow at that time of the year is very rear in the Ardennes.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Richard-NL :bmwrider <o:p></o:p>
  7. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    I live in Mamer, Luxembourg - just outside LUX city and you are riding right by my house. If you need a place to stop and rest, please feel free to PM me.

As others have mentioned, try to time your approach to Brussels carefully as that ring road is a real hassle. Every time I do it and am sitting in traffic with the wife and kids, I always wish I were on a bike so I could split through the traffic :D
  8. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    At what time should I not be there?

[TaSK]
  9. Blackbert

Oddometer:
    On a Friday pm: it may slowly start to congest at 15.30, stretching till 19.00 or even later if the weather is bad/accidents happen.
    Monday morning: The R1 (Antwerp) - E19 to Brussels and the R0 (Brussels) have slow traffic from 7.15 - 7.30, for 2 to 3 hours.
    But think possitive, 85% of the cardrivers does Antwerp-Brussels on a daily basis and is used to motorcyclists splitting lanes. It's legal if you keep a reasonable speed, go right of the most lefthand lane.

Oh, and keep your eyes open for speed cameras. signposted with a black dot, rays to the right, white background. cameras are in the soft shoulder on the left, a mile ahead.
  10. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd avoid Paris absolutely - why don't you take the "middle" road up ,
    Dijon-> Troyes ->Reims -> St Quentin -> Douai -> Gent etc...
    Champagne is nicer to see respect Paris banlieu and Arras plain...
  11. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Sir,
    I've plotted it, too, on the map.
    The map is here.

Any reason NOT to take this one?

Basically I'll check the weather and decide based on that. But the Paris route seems to
    be dangerous (traffic vise).
    On Friday (going up) the forecast is good. On Monday, riding down, not so good.

Thank you for all your suggestions!

[TaSK]
  12. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Sir,
    Is this info valid in Belgium?

[TaSK]
  13. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Sir,
    I've modified the eastern route according to your suggestion.

I do, indeed, have confidence in Dutch planning (of roads and traffic).
    I lived there 20 years ago and the impression of detailed planning prevails.

Doi!

[TaSK]
  14. Blackbert

Oddometer:
    Sir? ok, :shog

Sir,

This is valid for Belgian motorways. Off the motorway, camera's are not signposted and can be anywhere.
    Those at trafficlights will catch you when running through red and when speeding.

Bert
  15. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Today is Wednesday 20th, and the plan is/was to ride to Agde tomorrow.
    Then to Delft on Fridag.

But will I find petrol in France?

I can't risk being stranded somewhere for an undetermined time frame.

What say you, my French friends?

[TaSK]
  16. RTLover

RTLover Long timer

Oddometer:
    According to the newspapers this morning, about 25 percent of stations report low or nil petrol but also that there are 5000 tankers in the process of re-supplying. That said, you'd expect the smaller, rural stations to be at the bottom of the re-fueling list, while the autoroutes will surely be the first. Push comes to shove, you could hop on the autoroute and find a station. The strike actions and blockades are fading. The Transport Minister said this morning that police will move to unblock the refineries and that he anticipates it will take 4-5 days for things to return to normal.

I'm planning a trip to Germany starting Friday and don't anticipate any problems.
  17. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    I have 1200 km to do on Friday so I will (have to) run autoroute all the way.

As I will be heading north from Agde towards Delft on Friday, please send me your phone number so that I can call
    you and have your bike if I end up stranded somewhere :lol3

[TaSK]