1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

From Alberta to the East Coast

Discussion in 'Canada' started by thedopplereffect, Mar 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. thedopplereffect

thedopplereffect Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello All,

I am in the beginning stages of planning a ride from Central Alberta to the East Coast and back for this summer. I'll be riding solo on my Versys 650 with my camping gear.

I realize I am including most of the country in this question, but are there any spots in Eastern Canada that are truly "Can't Miss It" locations? I have never really been past Saskatchewan so I'm hoping for a wide variety of sights and experieces from the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Coast.

Any specific roads, sights to take in, events to try attend, or great camping spots along the way would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone :)
    cal08, Railrocker and gpfan like this.
  2. gpfan

gpfan a mari usque ad mare

Oddometer:
    North Shore of Superior. Cabot Trail. Stan Rogers Festival. Avoid the Trawna area at all costs, unless you wish to meet me. Camping/roads north and west of Ottawa are magic. Very south end of New Brunswick.
    B10Dave likes this.
  3. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bear in mind with COVID restrictions, you will be required to self isolate for 14 days on your arrival..
    gpfan likes this.
  4. mrpworld

mrpworld n00b

Oddometer:
    The ride from Manitoba/Ontario border around Lake Superior is long with some nice turns and scenery and a lot of trees. Cabot Trail is excellent. Avoid the main highways in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. You won't see much unless you travel the smaller highways. Gaspé Peninsula is also worth a look. If you have tonnes of time travel the Trans Labrador Hwy. When I did it 10 years ago is was mostly gravel. By now it would be at least half paved. Avoid Toronto unless you love traffic. I live in Toronto and I try to avoid it.
  5. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stop in Moose Jaw and see the Al Capone tunnels.
  6. CCitis

CCitis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no advice for you, as I have never gone that far east... but you should do a ride report.... would be fun to follow along.
  7. thedopplereffect

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the suggestions! Two votes for the Cabot trail so I'll have to hit that for sure.

I'm from Canada so I don't think that should be an issue.
  8. thedopplereffect

Oddometer:
    I'll look into that for sure!
  9. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    You should very much be aware that a trip to the east coast will require 2 weeks isolaton in NS, NB, PEI and NL. You asked for advice and when receiving it you should not ignore it.

You have given us no info as to time or travel experience. That info will change the trip parameters. Camping wild? 2 weeks or 2 months?
    AngusMcL, Candubrain and pelvis_98 like this.
  10. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    The term Atlantic Canada usually includes Nfld. You're gonna require a lot of time if that's part of the plan.
    I'm in the Halifax area and rode a good portion of paved roads in this province. So if you're planning on spending time in NS, I can help with that.
    Start with how much time you have and we can base recommendations on that.

Not to jump on the covid thing, and this may come across harsh. But out here we have this thing called the Atlantic Canada travel bubble. We can move around within it, outsiders need to isolate.
    It's taken very seriously here, and I wouldn't attempt to ignore it.
  11. thedopplereffect

Oddometer:
    COVID certainly puts a damper on things doesn't it? I had looked into the federal restrictions for interprovincial travel but hadn't looked at the individual provinces. That was my mistake. It looks like as of right now both Manitoba and the Atlantic Travel Bubble require a 14 day isolation, even when arriving from other provinces. Bummer... not sure how that's going to play out and might depend on how things change between now and then.

As for additional info, I was planning for approximately 2 months but was planning to leave the trip open ended and let weather be a dictator as to how long I can go. I am hoping to begin at the beginning of July. Camping wild was my main plan, mostly to keep costs down a bit. As I'll be starting in Alberta, the plan was to go through Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI, and Labrador. Probably wouldn't end up making it to Newfoundland because of navigating the ferry stuff to get the bike out there.
  12. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quebec has whale watching east of Quebec city. We used to do it from Tadoussac, but Riviere du Loup is on the way to Nova Scotia. You can see the Hopewell Rocks on the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick, about a 35 min from Moncton. Aside from the Cabot trail my Cape Breton highlights are Baddeck's Alexander Graham Bell museum with Bell's aviation experiments (manned kites & early planes) & hydrofoils and the Fortress of Louisbourg, a partially restored 18th-century French fortress with period food & Newcastle Brown ale..
    thedopplereffect likes this.
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    If the opportunity to get to Labrador presents itself, may as well make your way south thru the west coast of Nfld, then into NS. Could pick up the Cabot Trial from there.
    Run around the NS coast for a while then into NB.
    thedopplereffect likes this.
  14. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If nothing change this summer, they won't even let you cross the border in New-Brunswick to self-isolate. They think everyone outside NB have covid....They control every single vehicules entering NB. But they don't care about the 900-1000 trucks and their drivers who cross the border each days lol!
    Maggot12, gpfan and Cal like this.
  15. ColumbusTheExplorer

ColumbusTheExplorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in Alberta also and always looking for ideas on places to ride whenever the opportunity arises.

The trans Labrador Highway recently was added to my list of planning canadiates for an East coast adventure.

https://adventuremotorcycletravel.com/listing/trans-labrador-highway/

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-rides/trans-labrador-highway/
    Cal and thedopplereffect like this.
  16. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Cole Harbour Kid

Oddometer:
    It's been a long time since we've puttered around NS. Even though there are folks here who have a lot more experience and time on the road than I do, I would like to make a small contribution to this topic.
    Here are a few random thoughts....
    - We like to stay at Hooking By The Sea B&B when we visit Brier Island to watch whales
    - Balancing Rock is a bit of a hike but an interesting site
    - Years ago there was an article in the newspaper about a fundraiser to keep Eglise Sainte-Marie in Church Point up and running, not sure if it is still standing, maybe someone can confirm it hasn't been torn down
    Sorry, I have to stop now as we're heading out for brunch, I'll continue on a little later.
    Take care,
    2d1c
  17. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite places in Nova Scotia is Digby neck. Take any side road and it will go to some place scenic. Gulliver's cove is nice. You can go whale watching at Briar Island. When you are at Digby you are only an hour from Yarmouth. What's in Yarmouth. Well almost nothing to see really, except for one of the nicest light houses in Nova Scotia if not the world.

The church mentioned in the previous post is still standing.

This is the Yarmouth light. It's at Cape Forchu a short scenic ride from Yarmouth.

thumbnail_DSC_0635.jpg
  18. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Cole Harbour Kid

Oddometer:
    - We pop into historic sites to have a look at days gone by, Port-Royale National Historic Site may have guided tours; Fort Anne may have Graveyard Tours in the late evenings (the British buried their dead at night because during the day French forces were tracking the number of British troops manning the fort)
    - The best place I've found so far for a mighty club sandwich would be Farmer's Family Diner over in Aylesford, I have to skip the fries because I can't eat the whole dish
    - Up at Woodvale, we've stayed at Lavender Sky B&B a couple of times in the last 10 yrs, yes, it's pretty expensive, but there's a reason why we go back - customer service, clean, opulent and breakfast is a really good feed
    - It's been too long since we've eaten in Yarmouth..I can't recommend any spots for a bite to eat; we avoid Marco's Grill and Pasta House
    - Farmer's Markets...love them, typically held on Saturdays, ask the locals where's the nearest farmer's market, great way to supplement your food cache with some goodies
    - Sometimes you'll stumble upon farms selling product next to the road, or a small hut or shed in which jam, canned vegetables and pies are for sale with payment by the honour system
    AD25325C-B100-4EA8-8314-230F390AABE4.jpeg
    - Hall's Harbour is a bit of a tourist trap but you can feed on some lobster and see how far down the ocean drops at low tide
    - The Lookoff is a common spot for riders to take a break and view the Valley, you can also buy an ice cream cone across the street for a treat
    - If you have a hankering for some cheese there's quite a few cheese manufacturers in NS, there's one close to Port Williams - Fox Hill
    - At the junction of Hwy 101 and 12, there's Doyle's Farm Market, it's one of several places we stop for an ice cream cone because they have lactose free ice cream too
    - The stained glass window at Grand-Pre is pretty impressive
    - If you and/or the Missus enjoys knitting, Gaspereau Valley Fibres is a quaint little shop
    - The Avon River Heritage Society Museum is off the beaten path, there's a little, tiny cafe at the back of the museum, homemade food that's pretty good, serving sizes won't feed the jolly green giant but we eat there when we can to support them; pretty amazing shipbuilding history, and usually there's an art gallery set up upstairs
    - We enjoy living here, there's so many hidden gems throughout this province, we're still discovering them
    - I'm going to point out one route that I enjoyed riding many moons ago, it's a bit twisty but short, Port Greville to Spencer's Island, and, it leads you to the Lighthouse at Cape D'Or; not only is the food great but you might get to see the Dory Riptides
    Time for a break.
    Catch you later :^)
    2d1c
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on lake superior north shore. And I would drop south visit Watertown/Glacier NP and then take US-2 to Duluth. Much better ride and cheaper gas too.
  20. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    I seriously doubt the borders will be open to tourist traffic this year.
    2dogs1cat, Maggot12 and gpfan like this.