From Alberta to the East Coast

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by thedopplereffect, Jul 8, 2021.

1. thedopplereffect

thedopplereffect Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did my best to track all my expenses on a spreadsheet as I went. It's possible some things slipped through the cracks though.

I came out with a grand total of $6164.45 CAD spent during the course of the trip. That doesn't include any of the costs for things leading up to the trip like the camping gear, oil change, fresh tire, and windscreen that I bought specifically for the trip.

I spent $1833.74 on gas, which I expected to be the biggest expense, but I spent $1912.43 on food. Food is definitely where I could have saved the most money, but I was considering food as part of the whole experience. I only stepped foot in one grocery store which was to buy a new bag of trail mix in Shediac, NB. Lodging was $1137.93 and was kept low in large part due to Bunk a Biker. If I hadn't used that group I probably would have stealth camped more but as it stands I didn't do that at all. Bike stuff was $984.95, which included chain lube, new chain and tool, tires, and a few other odds and ends. I only spent $295.95 on entertainment like museums and things. Mainly my entertainment was talking to people and riding.

This wasn't a crazy budget trip but it was interesting to contrast it to the trips of the people that I met. Motorcycle touring seems to be marketed as a rich man's game.

Most of the people I met out that were actually out on the road were on BMWs or Harley Davidsons that were worth multiple times as much as my little Versys. That's part of the reason why it was so cool to meet Kelsey on his first gen Versys. He was probably the only person I met on a multi day trip that had a bike worth less than mine.

With that said, my Versys was such a stud for this whole trip. Whether it was gravel roads, carving through twisties, or burning up highway miles, it handled everything I threw at it really well. There were moments where I found myself lusting after bikes that were better offroad or more comfortable for the highway stretches, but all those bikes had compromises in other places. The only way to have a bike that does everything my bike does, but better at it all, would be to go for something like a Tenere 700 or a KTM 790 or 890 Adventure. And both of those options are in a totally different price range.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your bike can take you on adventures that you would never expect of it. Obviously it's still important to know your own limitations and what you're willing to endure. But I even think about my dad and his friend who took their 400 cc Hondas over the mountains and out to Vancouver Island back in the 70's. I think you'd get quite the reactions if you told someone you were travelling that far on a 400 now, but you could do it! I met a lady on the ferry in Newfoundland who couldn't believe I could make it across the country on "such a little bike", and yet the Versys excelled for most of the ride!

Whatever you've got, just get out and ride. You won't regret it. After all, the adventure really begins when the plan falls apart, so you could argue that the best adventure bikes are the ones that are pushed just a little beyond their comfort zones.

And since I've got a little soapbox to ramble on now, I also want to say that this trip wouldn't have been half of what it was without the people that I met along the way. A beautiful view or a good meal is always better shared with someone. I saw a quote from Anthony Bourdain that said, "So many of the good times traveling this world relate directly to finding a human face to associate with your destination, the food you eat, and the memories you'll keep with you forever." I couldn't agree more.
  2. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great RR! Thanks. I'm envious that I could ever get time off to do something like this and it's something I really would like to do.
    thedopplereffect likes this.
  3. thedopplereffect

Oddometer:
    I actually ended up quitting my job before this trip in order to get enough time off. Sometimes you just gotta jump in with both feet!
    sirvelo, cal08, staticPort and 3 others like this.
  4. Trainee_adv

Trainee_adv Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic RR! (except the Banjo bowl...stupid Bombers)
    Thank you for taking the time to share a part of the country I hope to experience myself one day.
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time and effort to report your adventure in real time. It made this report stand out from the crowd. Nice to see you made it home with no major problems or disappointments. Thanks also for the budget report. Ride on and keep having fun.......Dave
    Railrocker and thedopplereffect like this.
  6. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for documenting the journey so eloquently!
  7. gasgas17

gasgas17 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the experience! It was most appreciated. And you are right. There is so much more to see. Just watching you tour my province of Nova Scotia, there was so much more to see. But you certainly took in a good sampling.
  8. grumpybear

grumpybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the ride report and the appreciate the effort you put in so we could enjoy. Thanks
  9. Dennis Grzybowski

Dennis Grzybowski n00b

Oddometer:

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I have been to some of the places you travelled through which I enjoyed very much. I very much enjoyed your pictures and your writing. If you travelled through all the Canadian Provinces and Territories , and wroth a book about it I would definitely buy it. Travel safe and thanks again!
    thedopplereffect and staticPort like this.
  10. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heck, I'd buy his book even if he were to travel south of the border in the US or even further South!
  11. thedopplereffect

Oddometer:
    I really appreciate all the kind words! Hopefully a trip south of the border will be next!
    MotoRojo, B10Dave and staticPort like this.
  12. MotoRojo

MotoRojo Still in the asylum

Oddometer:
    Excellent trip report. Really appreciate you taking time after those long days on the saddle, to share your adventure and answer questions. Loved it! Look me up if your next trip takes you west
  13. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    an excellent report! thx.
  14. MSE935

MSE935 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greatly enjoyed your ride report. Been to some some of the same destinations as yourself down East.
    Many more to discover across this great land.
  15. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was a great read (and ride)!! :thumb:thumb
  16. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you rode by my house but I wasn't home then anyway.
  17. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this neat report. You really piqued my curiosity about Pier 21 in Halifax . Next time I get to Nova Scotia I intend to give it a visit.
    I actually came through there in June of 1951 as a four year old , with my family of course .They say there are registers of the passengers lists for all the ships that docked there loaded with immigrants . See if I can find my name.
    I remember only , after a bunch of days on the big ship and cups of beef bouillon , a big high shed with pigeons flying about , a long steam-train ride over several days and nights and warm weather and a house on a hill with swamps below and tree frogs doing their songs at night and people trying to convince me that there were gnomes living inside a hollow tree. The liars.:lol3
    thedopplereffect and AngusMcL like this.