From Belgium to Albania - Albanian road insurance?

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by Jef__vb, Jun 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jef__vb

Jef__vb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I'll be riding my Transalp to Albania in August. My insurance's green card covers all the countries I'll be crossing, except for Albania.

I've read about green cards you can purchase at the Albanian border for about € 50. These green cards cover a variety of countries.

Seeing as I only need insurance for the 7 days I'll be spending in Albania (my regular insurance covers all the other countries), I'm looking for a cheaper option.

Can anyone share some info on this matter?

Are there any specific border crossings from Montenegro into Albania that I should avoid?

Thanks!
  2. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Talk to your insurer (and Green Card issuer) first for possible inclusion of Albania on your Green Card cover.
    We didn't see any of the typical Insurance-"huts" at the 3 crossings we used into/ out of Montenegro.
  3. Jef__vb

Jef__vb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply. My insurer will not include coverage for Albania. So I'd better go through a border crossing on a main road, hoping it will have an insurance hut.
  4. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the huts are on the Albanian side only which needs parking the bike, crossing the border as pedestrian, buy insurance, walk across the border again to pick up the bike etc...
    No entry/ crossing without having the insurance in your hands. And make sure of having registration papers for the vehicle, the insurance alone is not enough.
    Also maybe check with the http://www.racb.com/
    or Touring Club de Belgique (TCB)
  5. Bashkim

Bashkim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Weird, my insurance in Germany (HUK24) covers Albania and all the Balkans. Maybe just give them a call. It's pretty safe there, can't see a reason why the would do this. Of course, keep an eye no our bike like you would anywhere else, and be a friend to the locals, they are super friendly, everyone tries to help. Totally worth it, the scenic views are priceless!

Try approaching some insurance companies in Albania, online. There should be a cheap option that suits you.
  6. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    Is this your last motorcycle trip? Beware, Albania is addicting. I tipped my toe into lake Ohrid a few years back, and have been back 4 or 5 times since then. It may be cheaper to find a Belgian insurance covering all greencard countries and be done with it. I did just that, and now I only have to buy insurance in Kosovo.
    glitch_oz and Bashkim like this.
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some rental/touring companies don't allow non EU passage while others certainly do and some guided tours do all the Balkans non EU countries and we know they are insured. Maybe a few days while un-insured is for you?:lol2 It's a dangerous hobby anywhere. My USA medicare doesn't "follow me" anywhere for starters but I lived the first 65 years of my life without it, so what?
  8. bout2ride

bout2ride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I arrive in Albania tomorrow and understood you could buy insurance at the entry border? a week later I get to Lake Ohrid but 1st a few days at Tara River, maybe even the zip line! :wings
    dooby likes this.
  9. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending on which border crossing, you might not hold the best cards.
    Might have to re-route for a more major crossing...
  10. bout2ride

bout2ride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the tip...oh boy.