From Deadhorse Down - A journey through North, Central and South America...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DirtyBones, Nov 14, 2010.

1. MotoLara

MotoLara ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer:
    Lenny, simplemente fantastico RR mi amigo. RTW trip next eh? ... we might join you :evil

Alberto.
  2. jthomas82

jthomas82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many miles?
  3. DirtyBones

DirtyBones Donde esta...?

Oddometer:
    Sweet! I could use the company...let's go! :freaky
  4. DirtyBones

Oddometer:
    By the time I get home to NJ...should be around 41-42K miles or so... :ricky
  5. DirtyBones

Oddometer:
    Day 300-301 – Bogota, Colombia 06/17-18/11 Mileage: 0

The last two days I spent getting caught up with blog and walking around downtown Bogotá.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made it a point to stop by the street stand I got the hotdog from the other day to try out her burger….and it did not disappoint. It probably tripled my cholesterol, but whatever…it was freakin good!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow it’s back to the good ‘ol USA after 8 months out of the country…
  6. DirtyBones

Oddometer:
    Day 302-306 – Bogota, Colombia to Miami, Florida 06/19-23/11 Mileage: Local miles

I had an early flight out of Bogotá to Panama City where I caught my flight to Miami. It’s been 8 months since I left the US and it was great to be back…though they speak still speak mostly Spanish here…so that wasn’t much of a change. lol I stayed the next 5 days visiting with family in the area and with my parents who flew down from NJ.

[​IMG]

From L to R: My Aunt Helen, Cousin Barbara, my mother, father and me...​

My cousins Barbara and Murray were great hosts and staying at their place was like a vacation within a vacation!

[​IMG]

The great view from my cousins house....​

Barbara also helped me get the bike out of customs which was a big help, and gladly went really smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unwrap it and ride away...it doesn't get any easier.....thanks Barabara for your help!​

I also took some time to work on the bike and get her ready for the final leg of my journey home to NJ…
  7. jthomas82

jthomas82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been a subscriber to your thread since it started. The journey has been amazing and I have also been impressed by the kawasaki reliability. You really had very few mechanical issues other that bolt on items. Great testimony to the bike and limited number of get offs for covering that many miles. Be careful on the rest of you journey and we will all be bored without your daily post.
  8. Cresta

Cresta Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Inspiring ride DB [as is CMs & MGs]. Thanks so much for taking the time & trouble to take us along.

I was wondering, do you think SA is doable on a normal road bike? I'm watching the kids on the ninja 250 atm but what about a litre machine? I'm sure much of the dirt stuff would be out of bounds, but would it be possible to do much of it on compacted stuff or what tarmac exists? Many thanks in advance.

C
  9. DirtyBones

Oddometer:
    Thanks bro....I have to agree....the KLR has been very good to me...even when I'm put it in front of a speeding semi-truck! :lol3

I was never once stranded, which is pretty incredible considering the pounding and abuse it took. Even when some dirt from a bad tank of Bolivian gas made it stall, I was able to get it started and limp along to the next town to troubleshoot...ended up simply draining the floatbowl on the carb...back in business. She never had to get a ride in a truck... :D ....though I still am 1500 miles from home....so there is always still a chance! :lol3

Thanks for checking out the RR...glad you're liking the read...:D
  10. DirtyBones

Oddometer:
    Short answer...aboslutly! The truth is you can ride nearly the entire length of SA on pavement. Except for a bit of dirt in TDF on the way to Ushuaia, I can't think of any other sections of dirt that were not avoidable by some other route(construction excepted of course). Maybe the paved route would be boring, or not where the interesting sights are, but they would be paved nonetheless. If you include consolidated all-weather dirt roads...I can't think of too much that would be off limits. :clap

Looking forward to reading your RR! :deal :D
  11. DirtyBones

Oddometer:
    Day 307 – Miami to Key West, Florida 06/24/11 Mileage: 166

It was only 160 or so miles from Miami down to Key West and the southernmost point in the continental US, so that seemed like something too good to pass up. Or, maybe it was Duval St that beckoned, but either way I packed the bike and hit the road south for one last time. The riding was hot but the scenery was more than making up for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a great lunch overlooking the water...​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I arrived in Key West I made my way down to the southernmost point in the US for the requisite photo.

[​IMG]

Got the requisite picture at the southernmost point in the continental USA...​

[​IMG]

....and in front of Capt. Tony's Saloon!​

Even though it was supposedly the off season, there was quite a crowd in town and I had a hell of a time finding a room in Key West, but did eventually track one down for $180…making it the most expensive hotel room on this trip so far…ouch. But, there was no time to dwell on that fact when Duval St. and it’s many famous bars beckon. So after quickly unpacking, I made my way downtown to commence a Duval Crawl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first stop was Capt. Tony’s made famous in part by Jimmy Buffett.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I stopped into Sloppy Joe’s which had 2 hilarious guys on stage singing songs you knew by heart, but with dirty lyrics…it was hysterical!

[​IMG]

Instead of "I Have Friends in Low PLaces" by Garth Brooks...they sang "I Lick Girls in Low PLaces"...and that's all I can say on the "G" rated blog!​

[​IMG]

I stayed to the end of their act and then made my way over to the Hogs Breath Saloon for a beer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Straight to the point. And they did have good pizza...​

Next I headed down Duval St. to Fogarty’s and then on the Jimmy Buffett’s Margaretville.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was Willie T’s followed by The Bull and Whistle Bar, but ended up spending most of the rest of the night in Durty Harry’s.

[​IMG]

Inside Durty Harry's....​

[​IMG]

For me and my buddy Erik...me an ex-Coastie...and Erik an ex-Naval aviator...​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They had a great cover band, ice cold Jagger and PBR’s….nuff said….
  12. Ranger Red

Ranger Red Team Green

Oddometer:
  13. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    Sense my...ability...to live vicariously through this thread.... dwindling.... the horror, the horror...
  14. DirtyBones

Oddometer:
    I love your signature, or as I like to say...."Moderation, in moderation" :lol3
  15. DirtyBones

Oddometer:
    Thanks Patrol...:D I bummed it's coming to end for sure....but at least the end of this one makes way for starting the next one! :freaky
  16. mesputnik

mesputnik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ahh, culture shock. tramp stamps and PBR...:D welcome home hombre..Key West is on my bucket list. must be a tourist trap for sure. was hopeing to poach a campsite somewhere. but then i heard theirs coral snakes:eek1 a buddy said down there they call em one steps. they bite ya and you keel over after one step. probably a bunch of b/s. he's a better liar than me..
  17. DirtyBones

Oddometer:
    Key West is a little touristy...but it is a fun place to party for sure! :freaky

I'd say it's worth a look, but their are lot's of other great spots in the Keys as well... I camped the last two knights...no snake sightings thankfully! :eek1
  18. DirtyBones

Oddometer:
    Day 308 – Key West to Knight Key, Florida 06/25/11 Mileage: 53

I was a little slow out of the chute this morning no thanks to the beer and Jagger last night I’m sure. I lingered in the comfort of my air-conditioned and immaculately clean room that came complete with a flush toilet, hot and cold running water and a TV with English channels….luxury. But soon it was time to pack the bike and hit the road north. I made my way up to Knight Key where I found a nice RV/campground right on the water.

[​IMG]

But what sold it was a cool little tiki bar walking distance away. So, after I setup camp I wandered over to the Sunset Grill for dinner and some drinks.

[​IMG]

It is a cool place right on the water, the food is great and it’s a good spot to watch the sunset over the water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is not going to make my transition back into the “real” world any easier…that’s fro sure…
  19. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    My parents used to have a place in Key West and the whole family would spend the month of February there. Man I miss it
  20. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "moderation in moderation" that's very good.. Looks like DB will have some withdraw symtoms trying to fit into normal "pleb" life like the rest of us..:1drink question on the next monster trip, round the world what does DB ride, another KLR???