From Estonia with love (Round the World)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by tsiklonaut, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap
    tsiklonaut likes this.
  2. makad

makad P/T Shed Dwelling Hermit

Oddometer:
    Gday Margus, Whats the story with the lake and healing powers?

[​IMG]
    A lake with healing powers in Kyrgyztan. Tian Shan looming in the background.
    OU812, TwilightZone and Seba1 like this.
  3. tsiklonaut

tsiklonaut the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer:
    It's a salty small lake near the huge Issyk Kul (which is also salty), mineral springs and magic healing muds - according to number of Russian pensioners we talked to who've come there almost every year to heal up their health problems. :)
    ricochetrider, Seba1, OU812 and 2 others like this.
  4. tsiklonaut

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Kyrgyztan, Tian Shan mountain range slowly unfolding.

[​IMG]
    The views got better as we climbed higher up.

[​IMG]
    Tomb.
  5. tsiklonaut

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Terrain.

[​IMG]
    The eroded valleys are vast.

[​IMG]
    The photo doesn't do justice to the real scales and distances involved.
  6. tsiklonaut

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Interesting patterns the erosion creates through millions of years of hard work...

[​IMG]
    Bird's-eye view. The diagonal lines on the mountains sides is not an illusion, those are volcanic layers put to this angle when two tectonic plates
    ram each other creating the Tian Shan range of mountains eons ago.
  7. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So Beutiful!
    I'd love to take my XCW there for some off road riding.
    Critic and tsiklonaut like this.
  8. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Ah yes, the three of us!
    OU812 and tsiklonaut like this.
  9. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    Your images always remind me of A. A. and the Zone system. Thus wondering, if digital and it's software has expanded the zones or maybe digital color can reach that of B & W film.
  10. tsiklonaut

Oddometer:
    Cheers guys!

I am using my own Zone System version on B&W film negatives since I am shooting the roll film when travelling, hence I opt all the 10 frames I get on 120 film roll to equal-out to lower contrast that (almost) always works better for post processing than stock exposure/development scheme marked and recommended on the film box-speed. I've learned to to know how each of the film emulsions "burn out" their highlights and adjust exposure and developing time accordingly to keep them at bay (which is actually just a contrast control on B&W development as is the Zone System itself fundamentally). On B&W negatives it's mostly expose-for-the-shadows/develop-for-the-highlights law that I work with, usually it means 20% more exposure and 20% less development time to have all the 7 Zones represented on a roll film (good shadow representation yet lots of info on highlights when needed) - then you have a bigger playground in post-processing. It varies depending on film though, can be a lot more or yet sometimes I work with film's box-speed.

I do shoot 5x7" (13x18 cm) when I can lug the gear around with a car back in Estonia, there I use Zone System to it's fullest since I develop each negative independently (N-2, N-1, 0, N+1, the usual Zone System coverage). I then adjust the contrast in post-processing (or under enlarger when wet-printing).

Color slides which are VERY contrasty out-of-development (compared to B&W method described above) I bring exposure differences under control by using the old-fashioned optical GND (Graduated Neutral Density) filters in front of the camera lens. It's a hard work but yet with color slides when you nail it you nail it for good - no processing required later on. In digital you can just shoot multiple exposures and stich them together for "HDR" as they call it, but I've found it's more work and cheating (i.e. clouds have already moved when you take 2nd and 3rd shot) so needs lots of cheaty "Photoshop" tricks and the photo looks very "sterile" in the end. On film you need to set the stage right with GND filters for a single shot only, it looks way more "organic" and more "real" to my personal taste. In fact it's one of the main reasons I've kept on shooting film despite the digital cameras are way better these days.

Margus
  11. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    Thanks my friend, I love the detail you go to!
  12. HiJincs

HiJincs Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    M&K, I can't recall how I found your RR, but it's been a great read over the last few months. There's nothing I can add to all the accolades, which I enjoy reading as much as your report. The pictures are amazing and your words and particularly the sound recordings have really been the best ever. When I started reading the report, and looked to see how many pages there were in total, I thought, OMG?? 164 ?? and now, I've finally caught up. I PM'ed you a question regarding your book, which I will purchase. All the best to all 3 of you!
    Critic, OU812 and tsiklonaut like this.
  13. tsiklonaut

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    That magic healing lake again, I didn't dare to swim since there were too many people swimming there.

[​IMG]
    I much preferred to swim the Issyk-Kul lake. A salty lake that doesn't freeze up in the winter, for swimming it's a great place
    and have a beer in the tent later. Pure bliss.
  14. Hometoroost

Hometoroost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant as always. Keep it up both of you. Its a blessing to see the world through your eyes.
    ricochetrider and tsiklonaut like this.
  15. lasagna

lasagna Student Eternal

Oddometer:
    Dear Kariina and Margus !
    Thank you for bringing your views of vastness and beauty to us. Your respect to Earth, fondness for exploring the harder paths, great outdoors, your Insh'Allah attitude and labor of love that transcends to your images are so uplifting and positive to many of us. I am grateful for these years of sharing your unique experience. Wish you all the best and will stand by for your future adventures.
    Critic, OU812, ricochetrider and 2 others like this.
  16. Asianrider

Asianrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Margus, glad to see you're back on the road. Too bad you haven't found the way up to the observatory, but the road is actually on the Swiss map, did you carry it ?

Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Laurent
  17. Tsin

Tsin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi tsiklonaut.
    I've just finished the book! Wow! What a great read! Congratulations!
    Now I still have this whole RR to read, really looking foward.
    OU812, X11-MAN and tsiklonaut like this.
  18. Spodge

Spodge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Exceptional story.
    tsiklonaut likes this.
  19. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. tsiklonaut

Oddometer:
    Hi Laurent,

So good to hear from you!

We did not had the observatory marked, nor the actual trail road heading there (there is one we later discovered). So it was a guessing game, but that's what makes the ride there more interesting.

PS: your Pakistan tour looked very nice, makes me kind of miss the place despite it's a very hectic place.

Cheers, so glad you liked it! Makes all the hard work worth it.

Thank you so much for the kind feedback!

Looks like a very decent place indeed! Might put it into a plan if the path ever takes us there!
    Critic and OU812 like this.