From here it's North by Northwest

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ShiftHead, Jun 10, 2019 at 8:11 PM.

1. ShiftHead

ShiftHead the f is silent.

Oddometer:
    UPDATE: Here's a link of our track
    https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1e7255cff0ca622f79

I'm sure this moniker has been used many times for trips like the one we are about to embark upon. A trio of riders, two hailing from the Carolinas and the third from the Lone Star state. I'm hoping for a thrill ride of Hitchcockian (?) proportions, sans the murder.

We leave the wee hours this Friday morning and will be meeting the Texican in Wichita, he's riding up from Dallas. Since we have 21 days total to cover the better part of 11,000 miles, the first and last two days of the trip are all super slab and trailering for two of us. In Wichita we'll load up his bike and shag ass the wee hours of Saturday to Butte MT. There we'll unload everything and head NxNW from there the next morning (Sunday). That's the plan anyway...

We have a rather optimistic goal of riding to Tuktoyaktuk, but there are a lot of things that have to go very right for that to be possible. Namely Mother Nature has to want us to make it. If there is any kind of bad weather then it's pretty much impossible and we will have to play it by ear. Once we get to Dawson City we can figure out where we'll go from there. I think maybe we need to make those decisions before the sour toes come out...

As for what we're riding, the two Carolina boys are on early Vstrom 650's and the Texan is on a Triumph Tiger 800. The pic below is me and the two Stromboli's on the gravel road heading into Polebridge MT a couple years ago.

Anyway, not a lot to say or show yet, just wanted to get the RR going. More to come... 20170713_184651.jpg
    Rollin', USMC_Engineer and greg.279 like this.
  2. Advie

Advie n00b

Oddometer:
    I am on a Tiger 1200. rawr. And I am ready to go!
    ShiftHead likes this.
  3. ShiftHead

Oddometer:
    1200? It's a good thing I'm twice the man, else I'd be feeling rather inadequate right now...
    download.jpg
  4. ShiftHead

Oddometer:
    Day 1 started at 2:30am, rolling at 3am. It was a long and dull day of planning it to Wichita. Arrived just past 9pm CST, so a 19 hr day. Good times. Here's the overview shot of the day:

Attached Files:

5. ShiftHead

Oddometer:
    Day 2, the theme today is More Slab. Butte was just too far from Wichita for us to make it in a day. So we pulled into Billings for the night. It was a 0630 CST departure from Wichita and a 2200 MST arrival in Billings. So 16.5 hrs on the road today. Tomorrow we will head over to Butte and leave on the bikes from there. I'm so tired of the slab, but glad we've got all the flat mostly behind us.

The goal is to ride from Butte to Polebridge MT tomorrow. Hopefully the torrential rains we drove through today will be gone tomorrow.

Drinks in the Northern Lights Saloon tomorrow!

Attached Files:

6. ShiftHead

Oddometer:
    Well we made it to Butte, but the free parking at the airport isn't as free as it appears online. Does anyone have an idea on where we can park, even for a fee, for 2.5 weeks? I can't even pay to park at the airport.