From Switzerland to Kirghyzstan, a dream came true.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GuillaumeADV, Dec 14, 2019.

1. GuillaumeADV

GuillaumeADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enterring Russia AKA "the motherland"

upload_2020-3-13_21-7-29.png

(I suggest you some local punk music for a better reading experience ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIsP_-Vg3Fk

So after an almost good sleep :twitch, in an almost good motel close to the border, i was ready to jump on the bike and discover Russia!

To be honest i was abit impressed; i am an optimistic person but sometimes we hear so many things about people and places... and it's always the complete opposite when you finally arrived at destination. That's why travelling is so good no ?

So i arrived at the border; confident but still ready to everything. The place was almost empty on the Ukrainian side when i arrived. A few trucks fully loaded, some locals and a few " i will never smile "guys with automatic rifles and camo uniforms. I stopped 100 meters before the checkpoint and smoked a cigarette... maybe it's the last one for the next hours.....

I don't wont to make politics here or offense anybody. The situation between Ukraine and Russia is really hot so border guards on both side where talking bad about the other side. So you have to explain to one side that you are so sad to leave, and on the other side that you are so happy to enter:lol3. crazy world:dunno .

It took's me 45 min to exit Ukraine and entering Russia. Quiet fast and whitout paying any backchich even if they tried. Then the endless wait started. One hour of waiting, standing in front of a checkpoint. After that i was authorized to advance.....30 meters:lol2. ...... and wait one hour more. 5 guys came to me, looking like officier and started to ask me a lot of questions. They where quiet friendly and curious about my trip, some of them where younger than me and almost speak english. Suddenly somebody call them by radio from the tower in front of us and they start to be less friendly, i know it was because of protocol and they looked a bit frustrated.

We entered the building and they let me seat in a small office. Two older officier came so we where finally 8 in the room. 7 guys in army boots and one in adventure boots:rofl. 30 minutes later they let me leave. I was impressed by the precision of the questions and the informations they already had about me :patch.

Next part was checking bike and luggage, some paperwork ,in russian, so i don't know what kind of documents i have signed this day:dunno:D. Was a reeeeeeaaaallly long processs.

So 4 hours after my last cigarette i enterred Russia on my steel horse yeahhhhhhh !:rilla

056.JPG 065.JPG

sarcus, Smidty and Saso like this.
  2. GuillaumeADV

GuillaumeADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Crossing Russia

Russia is really flat in this area. Coming from the Alps it's really strange. Those huuuuuuge fields and infinite horizon. Smell of liberty ! Landscape are pretty but a bit boring. But the wind and the V-twin are so good together :wings

Locals wher really friendly and i can't count how many times people offered me something. In fact it was like that till the end of the trip. 99% of the people are good on this planet. That was an old interrogation for me, now i know.

Sometimes i received fruit, drink, biscuit, cigarette....:dukegirl and i did my best to give in return. Before the trip i collected some little tings to offer along the road; that was a good way to explain my gratitude to locals along the road.

Some pics:

049.JPG 087.JPG 096.JPG 100.JPG

upload_2020-3-13_21-53-57.png

After 4 days i was at the border of Kazakhstan for the next chapter. I just fast crossed Russia but really enjoyed the country. I really didn't had enough time during this trip but eh, it's still the best trip of my life and i am so happy to had this opportuniy in my life.:nod

Attached Files:

• 051.JPG
      051.JPG
      File size:
      535 KB
      Views:
    • 101.JPG
      101.JPG
      File size:
      577.9 KB
      Views:
    sarcus, stokerel, malloy and 6 others like this.
  3. horsti

horsti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very cool report and nice pics,
    I am in :wave
    Waiting for next installment.

Regars !
    horsti
    TOTim likes this.
  4. Saso

Saso Happily sporting the DRD4 gene Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love that photo of the bike tucked into the bus stop shelter - makes me think of the many places I've sought shelter from storms during rides throughout the years. Great RR BTW - thanks for taking us along.
  5. James59

James59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great trip, I would have liked to know what information the Russian Border Guards had about you apart from the information requested on the visa application forms.
  6. GuillaumeADV

GuillaumeADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're right, not much more than in the visa, maybe it's more a "feeling".... i am not used to border, police and kind of stuff.
    But, when i left the country they showed me they can and they did check my location, certainly because i didn't respected at all the initial route that i was supposed to follow in the vias application . :augie
    James59 likes this.
  7. GuillaumeADV

GuillaumeADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kazakhstan:

I was really exited to enter this land.
    I just knew it's big and flat. Full of camel, spaceship lauch site, crazy driver and old monuments.
    The border was the easiest on the whole trip. Only one hour to exite Russian and enter Kazakhstan. Bonus, Kazazkh border guards where friendly and we basically spoke about the european football league more than paperwork. And to be honnest i don't like football but this was really funny, how the the hell they knew the names of all the my local football stars ?! The world is really connected nowadays.:lol3

upload_2020-7-18_21-27-59.png

So after a short ride i found a place to sleep in the fisrt big city . Oural.

Well, for the first time of trip it started to be really exotic for me :clap. Landscape was changing.

105.JPG 118.JPG 133.JPG 140.JPG 145.JPG
    sarcus, TheBritAbroad and akaDigger like this.
  8. GuillaumeADV

GuillaumeADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At the hotel the next morning i met a couple of Croatian. Hyrvoje and Ivanna. They were in honeymoon and following the silk road. We decided to ride togheter a few days. I was happy to have some company.

The road is straight, desperatly straight... for days and days.... once again like in Russia you have to find something to do with your brain while riding across those deserts. Trust me, after a few days you start to discover how many yourself are living in your head, and you can talk with them ! :loco:jump
    129.JPG 135.JPG 138.JPG 152.JPG 166.JPG 167.JPG 174.JPG 180.JPG

Attached Files:

9. GuillaumeADV

GuillaumeADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We reached the famous town of Baïkonour. It's a city in the Kazakh spaceship lauch site area. I knew there are a lot of relics to see but unfortunatly we didn't found a lot of things and the most interresting lauch site are secured by military, no way to sneek inside or even come close where we tried. Still you can see some old structure there and there. The main ans still operational lauch site is open but you have to book with a tour operator and you can't really see anything, not my cup of tea. So we decided to have a break in town and strated to search for a place to eat. Well, i never seen any spaceship in this town but what destiny or wathever gave me a better present. As we where walking a guy came to us ask if we would like to enter is home and eat something. For sure !
    What a surprise when he opended the garden gate, it was a wedding ! People dancing and singing and so on. They welcomed us like princes:clap.
    :dukegirl:queenie:dutch We received food, drinks, more food, moooorrrre foood and fooood . It's hard to explain but that was something special to live and i was so lucky to be there. Big warm emotions, true smiles and peace betwenn people.......:raabia.. enough words let's see :
    200.JPG 198.JPG 194.JPG 185.JPG 186.JPG 194.JPG 197.JPG
    Thank you old man and all your familiy for your warm hospitality:beer
    sarcus, stokerel, James59 and 2 others like this.
  10. GuillaumeADV

GuillaumeADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All good things have an end . Full of memory and happy to be alive we started ou bikes and left Baïkonour. Back on the road, sun is shining, camels are smiling, life is good.

upload_2020-7-18_22-53-48.png

20190816_193725.jpg 20190819_155121.jpg
  11. GuillaumeADV

GuillaumeADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NEXT STOP KIRGHYZTAN :

After a few days together we decided to split. They decided to ride faster and i felt a need to travel alone again. We shared our last meal and sayed good bye. Thank you Hyrvoje and Ivanna, you're my friends.:gdog

Mountains ! I started to see them far away in the horizon one day before the border. I was closer than ever of my goal, the Stan's Mountains. This perspective gave me a big shot of energy. After all this days of riding i was really tired. I missed my girl and familly, bike was not running good and my body was hurting from old accident.

i spoke to myself: Come on man ! Keep going ! It's one's in a lifetime. You're so close. Go !

So i did.

Border between Kazakhstan and Kirghyztan was a bit,..... Well it's was a fucking mess but i managed to cross it. It looks like nobody know's who's not doing what. :lol3

Anyway after a few misunderstanding with border guards, beacause somebody forgot a stamp on my passeport, i was stock between the two country for one hour.

Impossible to get back to Kazazkhstan because i virtually never exit the country and impossbile to enter Kyrghyztan because i was virtually still in Kazakhstan. :jack:fpalm so... where am i ? :scratch

After this funny crossing the landscape started to change almost immediatly. After a week in the desert i was suddenly surrended by huge mountains! :eek2Whaaaoooooowwww

upload_2020-7-18_23-21-0.png

236.JPG 237.JPG 269.JPG 271.JPG 273.JPG
    sarcus, stokerel, James59 and 8 others like this.
  12. James59

James59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very beautiful. A great trip. Very kind of people to invite you to wedding.
  13. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant and inspiring
    I'm envious, if this Corona shit ends someday, like right now, I can see a trip to that neck of the woods, er deserts in the near futurw