From Uk, buying bike in N/S America

Discussion in 'Americas' started by IsleOf, Nov 6, 2007.

1. IsleOf

IsleOf Fat Bar Steward

Oddometer:
    Hi folks.
    Im just sort of messing around with ideas for bit of an adventure.

What are my options in buying a bike somewhere in N or S America and then selling it in 6 months after the trip. If i buy a bike in the states do i have to sell it again in the states. Id quite like to finish the trip in Canada.

The reason for not shipping the bike across is I plan to go to Australia after the trip and therefore would be selling my own bike when i got back anyway.

Cheers for any words of wisdom o wise ones:1drink
  2. Cheap Ryder

Cheap Ryder Ride for enlightenment

Oddometer:
    Just had two aussies leave today on a trip to south america and back. They both flew in and bought bikes in the states. No problem getting the bikes licensed and insured.One bought a bike in California and the other in Oregon state. They plan on riding the bikes around and then comeing back to the states to sell them. Much simpler and worth more when selling them in another country. I am in Montana USA where the license plate is permanant as long as you own the bike and insurance is not required. The dollar is getting worth less and less and the canadian dollar is going up so the bargins are in the states.
  3. IsleOf

IsleOf Fat Bar Steward

Oddometer:
    Cheers

I think it seems the best of 2 options at the minute. Second option is to buy and sell here in the UK and ship there and back. If i do it your way id be cutting out the shipping part :)
  4. H2oskier

H2oskier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently sold our BMW M Roaster to a gentleman in Quebec and he had
    to jump through some hoops to import the car. Y ou might want to buy
    the bike in Canada, ride across the US and into S America and then
    re-sell the bike in Canada, if thats the way you want to go. Selling
    out of country vehicles can get touchy, with the title situation.
    Good luck and let us ADVer's know when you are coming. We will
    buy you a beer and give you a place to rest.:D
  5. IsleOf

IsleOf Fat Bar Steward

Oddometer:
    I guess as long as i sell the bike where i buy it there should not be a problem.

Dont know when id be coming but ill let yous know. My original plan was to sell-up here and ride to Australia to work and live there for 2 years. However under a Carnet or temporary importing the bike i would only be allowed to keep it there for 12 months max. So ive decided i will go to Australia without the bike. Not without some sort of bike adventure first though and i really fancy doing North and South America:D

Ive got stuff to sort out here first but hopefully i can go next year.
  6. andy750

andy750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im originally from Stewarton, Ayrshire but now living in Boston, MA. I had a couple of friends come from Scotland, England and Germany to do a USA cross country ride in 2004. They all bought bikes in LA and registerd and insured them with no problem (bought off Ebay). One was a ringer and blew up on Rt66 in the middle of nowhere (crossing the Mojave desert did it for him) and the other 2 survived the trip and made it to Boston - one still here and the other is back in Munich, Germany (he bought a chopper).

In 2001 I rode my 1974 Honda CB750 from Boston to San Francisco via Wyoming etc and then down Baja and around the perimeter of Mexico (Aculpulco, Oaxaca etc etc) and back to Boston - 2 months, 16,000 miles. Still have the bike and actually took it to Scotland (including Ayrshire in 2002). Bike has also been to the Alps, Strasbourg, Prague, Amsterdam etc...shipping a bike from Southampton to NY is about $700.

If you come to Boston let me know!
    cheers
    Andy
  7. IsleOf

IsleOf Fat Bar Steward

Oddometer:
    Yep. Sounds like thats the way i want to do it :)

Im just down the road from Stewarton in Irvine btw. Small world eh? :)