Front brake noise - 1981 Gl1100 with EML

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by flexfoot, May 29, 2020.

1. flexfoot

flexfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    07E9F731-16D3-4DE6-AB0E-7CEE41D7DA74.jpeg I’ve rebuilt the calipers and master cylinder. Installed EBC brake pads. Greased the caliper pins and used anti squeak silicon on the pads.

I have a terrible squeal/ vibration noise when I use the brakes.......and then the noise will not go away unless I really brake hard. Almost seems the pads are not retracting after application.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and stay safe& healthy!
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I suppose you've checked the obvious things like the calipers centered on the rotors. Didn't forget some washers when mounting the calipers? Cleaned off the rotors really well? You bled the brakes of course and they feel good with the bike standing still? When you squeeze the handle it feels right, then when you release the handle it springs back with no delay?

Not familiar with the your Honda front master cylinder but if it's like my BMW, your symptoms sound like sludge or dirt in the brake line blocking the pressure release return. On a BMW, if you remove the MC cover and look inside there you can see a definite squirting of brake fluid back into the MC from the brake line when you release the lever. The fluid comes in from a small hole in the bottom of the reservoir. If this hole gets plugged, the whole brake system gets jammed up.

But in the pic it looks like a steel braided brake line. How old since the brake lines were replaced? Not unusual to have a brake line failure occur same time you are messing around with the other bits.
  3. flexfoot

flexfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have checked all the normal things. They are only single piston calipers.

Does anyone know if I can up grade those calipers without major modification of the brake bracket ?

Thanks!
  4. GotDammitDave

GotDammitDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my old shovel has PM single piston calipers that did that when I bought the bike, I road with it for a while before it finally drive me crazy enough take it apart an have a look, one pad was worn a bit more than the other, still had plenty pad tho, so I just swapped em around - I dont know if honda pads are side specific but it worked out fine for me. Sometimes it can be the simplest things... Hope it works out for ya
    brstar likes this.
  5. Flyin' Monkeys

Flyin' Monkeys Wicked Witch Airlines Supporter

Oddometer:
    First, I am greatly disappointed, and let down, that @DRONE didn't say, "Flyin' Monkeys to the white courtesy telephone" :fpalm

Okay, to answer your 2nd question, "Does anyone know if I can up grade those calipers without major modification of the brake bracket ?"

The answer is YES. You can use the two piston calipers from a 1983 GL-1100, on the front end of a 1981 or 1982, and they will fit. The 1983 Goldwing 1100 had a better front wheel, and better brakes. As you have the Leading Link front end on your rig, you also have a different front wheel, much better than the OEM front wheel that came on a 1981 GL-1100.

Look into it.....1983 GL-1100 front wheel/brakes/size compared to a 1981.

BUT......given that you do not have a stock OEM front end on that rig...you have a Leading Link front end on that rig, it would be difficult for me to say for certain if the 1983 Calipers will mount up the same, as the caliper mounting on the Leading Link is difference/modified.

Your original issue, the lack of release of the front brakes......................when you rebuilt the front brake calipers, and the front brake Master Cylinder, did you install all NEW rubbers, or reuse the OLD rubber seals in the calipers, and piston seal in the Master Cylinder ?

I need to know the answer to that, before I type out a dissertation on the mechanics of 1981 - 1983 GL-1100 front brakes. :-)
    brstar and Bobmws like this.
  6. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you sure it's not your passenger squealling as you now have decent brakes :lol3

Not helping am I :D:D:D
    Flyin' Monkeys, brstar and Bobmws like this.
  7. Kruzof

Kruzof independently poor

Oddometer:
    My Ural occasionally makes a hard to locate squeak from the front end.
    Turned out to be the fender attachment bolts.

Not much help either ?
  8. Sidecarjohn

Sidecarjohn SidecarJohn

Oddometer:
    Perhaps detail, relative to the actual brake noise, but the leading link forks are not Unit forks.
    Also, when Wasp forks were fitted to our GL1100, the Wasp guys switched the right and left brake callers over. Never asked why, simply accepted their experience and knowledge of leading link design and performance. This may be irrelevant for your problem, but may be a consideration.
    Flyin' Monkeys and Bobmws like this.
  9. Twistgrip

Twistgrip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you fit the shims? They go between the back of the pad and the caliper piston,one shim per caliper. The purpose of the shims is to stop the squealing.

https://www.saber-cycle.com/blog/2018/10/saber-cycle-now-stocking-oem-gl1000-gl1100-brake-pad-shims
  10. 81twins

81twins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the noise is caused by the new pads and orientation of how the caliper sits in relation to the disc. A couple of weeks ago I experienced some new noise from my front brakes after replacing the front tire on my EZS rig which has the calipers mounted the same way as on your EML rig. After reassembly I noted a difference in both brake performance and noise. As the caliper mount will move side to side on bearings when the bottom clamping bolt is released I just slid them on and tightened them up not paying attention to whether the calipers were centered on the discs. After a test ride I returned to the shop readjusted the mounts to center the calipers on the discs and this corrected my problem.