Front caliper leaking

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by ernestonadal, Nov 25, 2019.

1. ernestonadal

ernestonadal advriderMX

Oddometer:
    Hi!! I’m gonna need help with this.

Found some brake fluid over the floor, it comes from the left front Brembo caliper, exactly from a little hole in the face of one of the pistons. What is this hole for? And how do I fix this leakage?

990 adv 2007 abs

The first pic shows the piston hole without leaking and the second one leaking

Attached Files:

2. zimtim

zimtim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is no way for that to be brake fluid. Unless there is some big major issue.
    Suggest you strip and clean the calipers. You can get the piston to come out , but getting it back can be a real bitch.
  3. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have not had any of the KTM calipers apart but think the piston is hollow.

The hole would be to allow any fluid (water getting into the hollow part to escape).

If it does come out of the piston itself there must be a crack in the piston itself, never heard of it but guess it can happen.

Seals on the other hand are not that uncommon and has been covered on here how to replace and most who do replace the pistons also I think.

60013083000 BRAKE PISTONS 30/32MM (that partnumber should contain 2 pistons)
    60013019000 REP.KIT SEALING RINGS 30/32MM (all seals needed to overhaul 1 front caliper)

/Johan
  4. zimtim

zimtim Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have seen holes in pistons if the brake fluid is never changed and the piston rusts from the inside out. You will need a new piston or a new/used caliper assembly.
  6. ernestonadal

ernestonadal advriderMX

Oddometer:
    Is a fact that the brake fluid has never changed.

Is a fact that it is brake fluid. I see the lost from the master cylinder window, I even add some brake fluid to get the minimum level and lost it in 24hrs aprox. thru the same piston hole

thanks a lot for all the advises
    DirtyADV likes this.
  7. tomdubz

tomdubz getting there Supporter

Oddometer:
    I preventatively did the pyndon caliper rebuild highlighted above a few years ago at 50k miles.
    I'm glad I did. The old pistons were a little brittle - probably from calcium chloride.