Front Disc Warping

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by lukeinlondon, Feb 5, 2018.

?

Has you front disc warped and were KTM willing to repair under warranty?

1. Yes

31.3%
  2. No

68.8%
  1. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon LC GSA/Helix

Oddometer:
    Hi all, less than 12 months of owning the bike my front disc started pulsating when I would use it, stopping around town became..wavy and not precise.

KTM shop said the Disc had warped but KTM would not fix under warranty. cost to me of about £400.

I spoke to KTM who said they don't have to fix it as it is 'within tolerance' e.g it is not dangerous I guess.

I have heard some people share that KTM did repair it for them. I thought it would be helpful to consolidate people's experience which hopefully can be reflected back to KTM to make sure this is being addressed.
  2. Lettikka

Lettikka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you consider taking the disc to a machine shop and having it planed? They can use a cross cut machine like they would on a flywheel or pressure plate to make it perfectly flat again. Pretty cheap too. About $40
    DOGSROOT likes this.
  3. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've worked on many KTM's where the owner complained about a 'warped disk'. In every case it was the surface texture of the disk causing the problem. Most looked like the bike was parked while the disk was wet and the pads etched their profile into the disk. Bikes with the new radial calipers were worse.
    The fix every time is to sand the disks with a coarse abrasive, like 80 grit. Clean with brake clean chemicals and break them in. My break in is to ride it easy for a while, touch the brake every 5 minutes or so, then after the braking action starts to come up (maybe 20 miles), do several high speed stops. Keep riding after these to let it cool down.
  4. whipit1k

whipit1k Long timer

Oddometer:
    My front rotors are warped. No, there is no rust/debris/crap on the disks. they are warped, period. 17 SAR 1290
    F650Dakar_Norway and Lewilewi like this.
  5. Mac Ka

Mac Ka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had this happen on my KTM950SM, 2004 Gen 1 Tuono, 2007 Gen 2 Tuono and my 2009 XT660Z. All were fixed by cleaning the bobbins on the rotors. Dirty bobbins stop the 'floating' disc, seizing it in the area of one or two bobbins. Plenty of vids on youtube.
    Joe and Jay... like this.
  6. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    In extreme cases, the etched surface still creates a pulse. There is an etched surface on both disks and it lines up so the pads pass over both these at the same time. To help fix this, I pull one disk and rotate it 180 degrees, so now it will only grab the spot on one disk at a time.
    Tomdog likes this.
  7. motomuppet

motomuppet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First track day I did on my 1190r (2014 model) at Sepang caused my discs to warp...The dealer replaced the discs under warranty...the mechanic said it was not uncommon. Have done several track days since and the discs have been fine since. About 50,000km on the bike so far.
  8. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had two sets warp
    The first oem set that warped I replaced with oem again they warped as well.
    I replaced those with
    Galfer wave discs which have been perfect for over 30000km

Each time they were refunded by KTM NL discs only not pads

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
    F650Dakar_Norway and 4bikes like this.
  9. Jojje62

Jojje62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First post :-)

KTM 1290SA -16
    I had strong vibration at about 5000 km, it was so bad that it even became difficult to stop with the presicion.
    I sandblasted my discs and mounted EBC FA244HH pads.
    And have now driven 10,000 km without any problems.
  10. Roadtripy

Roadtripy Asjemenou

Oddometer:
    Same, same for me, only the second time I replaced them for Moto-Master disc. KTM NL paid for discs.
  11. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    How are the Moto master disc working out?

I have a moto master on the rear

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
  12. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine were changed under warranty at 16000kms, all done by dealer I bought the bike from in Germany. No questions asked, they test rode the bike, had a close r look,and said yep, no problem. Got new pads included also.
  13. Roadtripy

Roadtripy Asjemenou

Oddometer:
    I have the Moto-masters front discs on my 1190R for 32K without any issues. Stopping power is great.
  14. Roadtripy

Roadtripy Asjemenou

Oddometer:
    3A7782D2-F27E-4BC1-B345-6084E811E4C2.jpeg
    lukeinlondon likes this.
  15. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice for you, a happy rider & customer as it was "changed under warranty".
    But in the end you are not aware if KTM approved it as warranty or your dealer took the cost to keep you happy and satisfied? Do you happen to know this?
  16. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    dealer told me it was a warranty issue. If he said that just to keep me happy, I don't really care, same effect, discs and pads changed all for free. He did inspect the pads to see if there was any 'abuse' of the brakes (maybe track day abuse) but clearly didn't find any
  17. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine has a very slight "grab" at low speeds, dealer reckons no sign of warp, I had cleaned bobbins (which seemed OK as the disc was easy to move around by hand pre-clean) so will now try and rub them down a bit, and if that fails spin one around 180 degrees.

TBH it is only noticeable at low speeds when braking gently, no pulsing of lever or hammering action when hard on brakes so if it is a warp it is (currently) very small.
  18. Capo Rick

Capo Rick Please understand... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to subscribe to the “ clean them and they will be fine” school, for years, when my brakes started to pulse, but my 1190 R kicked my ass and I never got the OEM rotors to feel smooth after about 8k miles. I replaced them ( $$) with Braking Wave rotors about 10k miles ago, and consider it money well spent.
    [​IMG]
  19. KTMatt

KTMatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    First set replaced at around 13000km second set around 21000km then again at a bit over 30000km but this time with a new wheel aswell and not at 43000km they're starting to do it again. All replaced under warranty.
  20. whipit1k

whipit1k Long timer

Oddometer:
    amazing. My dealer tells me that KTM will not even consider warranty replacement of brake rotors because they are a wear item....on a bike that was 5 months old when I first mentioned the issue lol right
    xsvspd3 likes this.