Front page comments unavailable

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by spagthorpe, Oct 16, 2018.

1. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not thrilled with the new front page, but I'm taking it for what it is. When I read one of the articles though, I can see a little bubble off to the side that shows there are say, 10 comments. I don't see any under the article, and even if I click on the bubble, it takes me to where I should see them, but don't.

I assume there is something being blocked on this end, but have no idea what it would be.
  2. SpecialKev

SpecialKev IT Screwer Upper Administrator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The comments run through Disqus. If you have a tracker blocker like Ghostery installed in your browser, it may be blocking the loading of the Disqus code.
  3. Rudy

Rudy Administrator Administrator

Oddometer:
    @spagthorpe Circling back on this... are you still unable to see the comments? https://advrider.com/a-tip-or-two-about-getting-found/#comments-wrap
  4. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Rudy

Oddometer:
    For sure ghostery will block disqus comments (nothing we can do about that), do you have that installed in chrome? If so, marking adv as a trusted site will do the trick. If not then there must be another plug in blocking the comments we've done extensive browser testing and haven't had any other issues.
  6. j21a2t89

j21a2t89 Lurking Noob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a reason for using disqus?

It would be nice if the comments were an an embedded xenforo thread with altered permissions. Then anyone could post to it, it would come up in members watched threads and I wouldn't have to sign up to yet another internet account.
    Eddieb likes this.
  7. Xcelite

Xcelite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm also unable to see the comments. I tried IE, Edge, and Chrome with uBlock disabled.

edit: Seems to be working fine now.
  8. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:

Agreed. My company blocks social media entirely, as well as things like gmail. Disqus is blocked at that level, so there is no way I can see or participate.
  9. Xcelite

Xcelite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now that you mention it, this might be why I was having trouble on Thursday. I was at work, where even IMDB is blocked. Lame.
  10. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's strange what my company blocks. YouTube fine, reddit fine, advrider fine. Has 'guitar' in the URL, banned via company policy, along with lots of other words. The rest of the time they'll give you a message that they would normally block it, but you might have a legit use for it (amazon, ebay, just about every travel, hotel, airlines, car rental, etc), so we'll be watching you closely.
  11. j21a2t89

j21a2t89 Lurking Noob Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Rudy

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure there's much we can do about disqus being blocked. We may move off of it at some point in the future but they have really great moderating features that makes life much easier for the team here behind the scenes and it plays nicely with wordpress which is what we're using for the writing / content. Def annoying for everyone who has no control over work block lists.