Front Shock Issues?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Zappafeld, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Zappafeld

Zappafeld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Anyone have issues with the front shock on the GS or GSA? I have only 50K KM on my 2018 GSA and had to have it replaced. Luckily, it was covered under the warranty, but I am hoping this doesn't happen again at 100K KM. Was like a $2000 CAD part.
  2. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a warranty repair. In the U.S. we get two years of component warranty after the replacement. No clue about you guys up North.

My vote: worry less & ride more!

Use that replacement shock extensively, and try to beat it up before your local warranty wears out.
  3. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Ultimately if it does go out and bike is out of warranty.. you can normally find lightly used ones off ebay for $200-300...
    Zappafeld and lewisjr1 like this.
  4. Zappafeld

Zappafeld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW is international warranty so we will have same.
    My question was more around if it is a common repair. The guy at the shop said he has never seen one go on a GS. Which is odd, I would think it would be more likely to go on a GS than a K model. (He had seen it on a few K models that were cold-stored and moved before they warmed up.) I ride mine hard though so that may have contributed.
  5. m931a2

m931a2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As for normal? I have 48K miles on my original ones and they are fine still. Others have had them go bad much earlier.
    Wait a bit, someone will show up and tell you that they killed them faster than you :)
    If you off-road GS's a lot you will need better suspension sooner than us that are mostly on the road.

I got used front and rear from this site for $300 with 18K miles as insurance for when mine go bad.
    Zappafeld likes this.
  6. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Easy answer:
    Uncommon but not unheard of..lol

Actually, I hear they are normally good for about 50-65K miles if you ride it right.. or 75k-100k if you ride it like a grandpa..
    lewisjr1 likes this.
  7. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I most definitely ride like a grandpa. Or maybe a little ole lady!
    Zappafeld likes this.
  8. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Lmao..yeah, a mean grumpy grandpa
  9. m931a2

m931a2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you mean Miss Daisy :)
  10. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Shocks are considered wear-and-tear item and as such aren't meant to last indefinitely. Different riders (of different weights) riding on different roads in a different style etc etc are all contributors to how slow or fast the shocks may wear out and require replacement... :deal

How and why your front shock failed at ~31K Mi/50K km may it's anyone's guess but that doesn't even matter as you got it replaced under the warranty.

There are aftermarket shock solutions as replacement, which are serviceable, either using OE ESA hardware or with its own hardware so when the time comes, you can ponder the options - until then enjoy the bike and you'll worry later if or when you have to... :thumb
  11. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Acchully, the warranty varies from market to market and it is all factored into the price of the bike. In Canada is I believe 3 Years Unlimited kms while in the US is 3 Years and only 36K mi ie. ~60K kms. And EU/AUS etc is all different too...

If you bought the same bike and living in US, you'd have only ~5K mi leftover of your warranty while in Canada, you can make another 50K km within time you have remaining and be still within warranty...
  12. Rossland Rider

Rossland Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had mine fail on my 2016 GSA at about 10000 km. Was warranty replacement but a PITA. It happens it seems.
  13. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had mine fail at 30000 miles. Replaced with Tractive. Ted Porter at the Beemershop says it is a very common problem on the GS's.
  14. jmb711

jmb711 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine soiled itself at 12K miles. Sad. It of course was covered...Next winter upgrading too Wilbers from Ted porters shop.
  15. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath Old 'nuff to know better...

Oddometer:
    General consensus seems to say the shocks are ready for service (or replacement) at 50K so being still under warranty you did well.
  16. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a set on my '18 replaced at about 15k km.
    If it happens again, I will go aftermarket.