Front stands? For 790 adv

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by scfrank, Feb 8, 2020.

1. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I take my wheels off and go to local shop for tires. I have spools and a pit bull rear stand that’s fine. I have a cheap front stand that lifts under the forks. Doesn’t work well at all. Does anyone have the KTM stand that lifts under the front cowl? I have put the R high front fender on and don’t know if that will work.

I’ve put a jack under bike but it’s not very stable. Not enough to work on front wheel.

Any ideas?

upload_2020-2-8_22-35-40.jpeg
  2. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This may not be helpful to you, but here it is anyway. My friend use to do the same thing, he did all his own work(save tire changes). He broke his stand while getting ready to do new fork seals and tires. I can’t remember the how....wife ran over it, bolt fell out during a move...whatever it was. He took tie down straps and hung the bike from the garage rafters.....it’s an alternative they may not apply to your situation. But I figured I would share anyway.

Another buddy used pit bull front and rear stands in the paddock when he was racing. Would that be an option?
  3. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ideas. I’ve done the ‘from the rafters’ thing and it can work but isn’t very stable and a bit of a pain to setup. I have a track front stand that hold the front up from bottom of forks. It doesn’t work well because you have to be able to twist the forks to get axle lined up. Some front stands lift from under the triple clamp bottom.

I’m asking if anyone has used the one pictured.
  4. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haven’t used that type of front stand myself... With the high front guard you’d have to get pretty creative to enable the pin lift thru the guard itself...
    A lift under the bash plate is much more secure and leaves you free to work in and around the wheel / axle etc.
    Plus you’ll only need one lift rather than a wobbly 2.
  5. PomInOz_

PomInOz_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not a front stand but saw this online the other day. Looks good for swapping wheels.

Oceandiving954, scfrank and CaseyB like this.
  6. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Assuming the works from both sides?... Take my Fcukin Money!
    Very cool!

Nice find @PomInOz_
  7. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @scfrank I've tried that one (they sent me the wrong type as I asked for a normal front paddock stand) but this was the only one they sold for the bike - anyway when I found out that you have to remove the front fender to use it I sent it back. I just wanted something that takes 30 seconds, like the rear one.

Havent had any luck so far finding another. I think the problem is the 21" front?

Not sure why KTM haven't come out with something? I'm using a scissor lift atm but would still like a front paddock.

Update the thread please if you find anything.

That bike-tower looks the business, bit too expensive for me though, shame.
    scfrank likes this.
  8. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    For messing with the wheels I find that the combination of a rear paddock stand and a dirt bike lift works best.

[​IMG]
  9. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I’ll let you know if I find something.
    nibby likes this.
  10. scfrank

Oddometer:
    That’s great, but expensive.

Went to the website. That is very well done. Next time I have $500!
  11. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I have an old dirt bike lift. I’ll try that. Just seems a bit wobbly. Love the 701!
  12. Fabricator

Fabricator Hello Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got a set of stands from a co-worker for $35, but the front stand was like yours, it picked up under the forks. And the 'adapters' didn't fit the bottom of the 790 fork very well due to the design of the bosses for the caliper mounts. I wanted a steering-stem type front stand so I modded it to work. Looked at modifying the uprights to vertical and going from there, but it was easier to just widen it. The tricky part was getting the angle of the horizontal bar that goes to the steering stem right so it goes over center at the hinge points to assure the stand stays 'locked' after lifting the bike.

Yes, you have to remove the front fender, but it takes another minute or so. I did not look at cutting a hole in the fender to allow the pin to pass thru it, but I would add a bushing to the pin that goes in the stem to keep from crushing the fender, if you get what I mean.

Widening it did make it a lot wider than the KTM stand above, but it sure is stable. The taper of the upper half does not allow the steering to go full lock-to-lock, but if it becomes a PITA, back to cutting and welding!! :D

A pic before paint so you can see was was changed/added:

Stand Mod.JPG
  13. scfrank

Oddometer:

Well shit, If I had those fab skills. I'd probably burn down my garage.
    Fabricator likes this.
  14. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forgot one detail. My lift it's about an inch lower then an usual dirt bike lift as it was for a supermotard.
    It's the perfect height for my 990 too.

[​IMG]
    scfrank likes this.
  15. hcd

hcd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have it and I don't like it, but then again I've never had to use a wheel stand, always just jacked it up on the skidplate. You see those how legs are not extended in your pic and see how far they are extended in my pic. It collapsed on me a couple of times, the set screws are small and you have to tightened them beyond what feels reasonable to get them to hold. I have a wheel stand below the forks because I didn't trust it. Hard to get that abor in and a struggle to get the loop back over the front wheel when raising it. Keep in mind this is the first time I have ever used a front wheel stand. I think I would call pitbull and see when they are going to have one. I was replacing my warped rotors.
    [​IMG]
  16. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. Think I’ll save up for the side stand bike tower option. It looks very useful.
  17. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    A few years ago I had my 300 on my bike stand, sans wheels which I had off to install grip studs into. A few nights later I came back down into the garage to find the 300 nose down, having inexplicably slid forward and half off the stand (greasy surface?) and was only stopped when the forks hit the ground. Stupid good luck. Definitely not just leaving the heavier 790 high and dry on merely a bike lift. For what I have about, the deck would work nicely to hang the bike from. As I roll into the garage and look up there is a deck width beam of 4 2x10's which ought to hold.
  18. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I get what you’re saying. The stand that attaches to the side looks secure. Bike Tower. It looks like there’s a mounting receptacle that is wedged into the frame and is clipped onto the lift. The weight looks to be spread under the bike.
  19. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    I've been working with Pit-Bull to determine the length of pin to get the correct lift and make the front hoop clear the wheel. Different generations of stands added some complication....

I'll report in when we have it figured out.
  20. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live life on the edge. If I need to pull both wheels and/or suspension I just lift bikes with my MC/ATV Jack. Depending on the bike I sometimes lift the rear with a track stand first and then lift the front with the jack. That's what I used to do with the 790 before I got a decent skid plate on it.

Attached Files: