Front wheel 'bounce' (new 1250 GS)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by LBJ GSA, Jul 7, 2019.

1. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a bit of front wheel 'bounce' on my new 1250 GS (with ESA) with cast wheels which has me scratching my head. I have Wunderlich bar risers / backs on there and have rotated the bars down slightly closer to me. Could this have upset the front end handling (i.e. not enough weight on the front end)? I had them on my 2017 GS TE and they were fine. I've tried the ESA on all settings. Makes no difference. Will be having it's first service next week, but wondered if anyone has experienced this? Obviously, tyres etc are all good as it's only done 500 miles. Tyres are the Bridgestone A41s and I'm running the correct 42 / 36 psi (2.9 / 2.5 bar). I also have one of those ram mount bolts in one of the handlebar clamps. Many thanks.
  2. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    36 front 42 rear?
  3. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed!
  4. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    Check your spokes to see if they are loose (if you have spoked wheels?), seems to be a problem lately for BMW...
  5. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cast wheels.......but good point.
    LowOnFuel likes this.
  6. maxattack

maxattack Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd take the front wheel off and throw it on a balancing stand to see if maybe it lost a wheel weight and is out of balance.
  7. miker325

miker325 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My guess is, balance or a bad tire that's starting to get a bulge. If you're getting the upcoming service done at your dealer, let him/her know and ask if they'll check the balance.
  8. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, really hoping it's that. :-)
  9. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, hoping it's balance or something. Will ask them during the week.
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try adjusting your suspension settings. Go full soft and see what happens. Could be an issue with your electronic suspension.
  11. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've tried road - auto, road - high, dynamic - auto and dynamic - high. The only config I have not tried is the 'low' setting. The 2019s don't have the 'soft' setting any more.
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    In that case, yeah, sounds like a wheel severely out of balance.
    LBJ GSA likes this.
  13. rdbonds

rdbonds Breaker of Things

Oddometer:
    LBJ GSA - Geographically, where are you located? There might be an inmate nearby who could help by checking that balance for you if you don't have a balancer...
  14. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    No suspension setting in the world will ever make a tire hop. The assembly is either out of balance or out of round. Good luck getting it sorted!
  15. ironsinker

ironsinker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At what speed do you start to notice? I have a 1250gs with spoked wheels. I thought the front end was a little bouncy and had BMW check it at first service. They said it was normal. I start noticing it at about 65-80 MPH. I figured maybe it was the anakee adventure tires that I'm just not use to. I've never had a knobby tire before on a motorcycle. It seems to be a little better now since I have 2500 miles on it. I plan on putting Pilot trail 4 or 5 tires on at some point. I hope that will smoothen it out. I can't determine whether its a tire issue or maybe just the aerodynamics of the bike. This is my first GS so I have no real experience to compare it to. But yes this bike is not as smooth at those speeds as other bikes I've owned. So weird.

Oh and mine is a low suspension
  16. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    UK - London.
  17. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Noticeable at speeds. This is my 3rd GS with ESA and my 5th GS in total. I am having the first service at the end of the week and will report back. I'm thinking either wheel balance, faulty tyre or faulty ESA.
  18. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same risers as you, silky smooth. I'd have the tire checked for balance. Recently my buddy had some weird wobbling on his Triumph and it was a TMPS sensor that twisted sideways ever so slightly and put the wheel out of balance. More noticeable the faster he went.
  19. LBJ GSA

LBJ GSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point re TMPS sensors etc. I've noticed the Wunderlich up and back risers slightly 'overlap' where they sit. Perhaps some tweaking / alignment needed there also.
  20. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    The risers have no effect on the problem so you can Check that off the list.
    I had a “bumping” issue when the bike was new, however spiked when...
    Take the time to check the balance first and check the trueness.