Fruita question

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by dougrender, Oct 25, 2005.

1. dougrender

dougrender Bike Polo is not a Crime

Oddometer:
    Is there any moto riding to be had on the north/Bookcliffs side of I70 at Fruita--the 16 or 18 mile road areas? I've mountainbiked there, but don't know if motos are permitted.

How about in the area just west of town on the south side of I70--the Mary's Loop etc. area?

Or is Rabbit Valley the only option?
  2. kcs4x4

kcs4x4 n00b

Oddometer:
    I know that 21 road to the north turns into a four wheel drive road. I have driven it and it is very rocky, but lots of bypasses.
  3. Mile Marker 42

Mile Marker 42 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It depends what type of "moto" riding you are looking for ?
    The area just west of town "Mary's Loop" is congested with mt. bikes and very much restricted.
    North of Fruita to the Bookcliffs is fragmented with private property and assorted regulated parsels.
    Rabbit Valley is huge and largely regulated only on the Colorado portion, you can ride the designated Trails in Colorado Section or head south west towards the Dewey Bridge and Moab, once you cross into Utah you are fairly much on you own and free roam.
    North of Rabbit Valley, all the way to the Bookcliffs and west to Green River offer countless riding oppportunities.
    All of these areas are very remote and require you to be self reliant and prepared for emergencies (cell phone coverage is poor at best)

It is only about 4 miles from the main parking area at Rabbit Valley to the Utah State line.

Mile Marker 42
    Past President of the MTRA ("Motorcycle Trail Riding Association" of the Grand Valley)
  4. dougrender

dougrender Bike Polo is not a Crime

Oddometer:
    I was looking for the type of dirtbike riding that mirrors the type of mountainbiking that I've done in the area. I've ridden Rabbit Valley south of I70. I was hoping to learn that there is similar riding from there north. I had also hoped to hear that the "16 mile road" area north of town was as accommodating to dirtbikes as it is to mountainbikes. Sounds like it's not.

Thanks.