FS, Fleabay, & CL stuff goes here!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Dr Jim, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    On that Indian with sidecar,... If you can't see it in person or ride it but have to make a decision on buying it,... I'd pass. The photos aren't clear enough to judge it's condition and you've already said that the sidecar isn't what you'd like to have. So, for me the decision would be much easier. If you still want it, send the guy a small deposit. Go there with the cash and make the decision after looking at, listening and riding. Don't forget to check the numbers against the title. THEN and only THEN, make your decision to buy or pass. Losing the deposit might be worth not getting stuck with something you may end up not wanting.
  2. travellin

travellin rambler

Oddometer:
  3. odinjunior

odinjunior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    That's exactly the way he builds them today, it's an economical if not a stiff mount :fpalm:fpalm
    Heim or rose joints in the lower position and the fronts adjustable too adjustable but adequate if your not flying the chair with a 250 pound passenger of turning toward the chair and going 90 mph in the sweepers.
    If you want an adv style sidecar with adjustable gearing it's a bargain indeed.
    Lots of room for fun, better exhaust,power commander, throw away the camber jack and adjust as necessary, probably sort fork valving and stiffen as needed front and back.
    It's funny why does he want to sell ?
    Basically I think to many new folk send a stock whatever to Claude or Jay and are never really happy with the result but struggle on ! Gearing and suspension are about how it drives and how you use it. :hmmmmm
    AbeWhat, Bobmws and JustKip like this.
  5. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:

He didn't happen to include a phone number you could PM me with, did he? I have a few days off and need a roadtrip...
    norton(kel) and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  6. BrainBender

BrainBender Bounty Hunter

Oddometer:
  7. chuchabrunn

chuchabrunn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I really like it, but will have to pass. The guy who is offering it to me says it's through a contact of his at an auction house. He's not even the owner/seller. I'll do some digging to see what I can find.

8. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
  9. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    :raabia

My big brother had a Norton Commando in '74. I was riding a Honda CB350 at the time, and was actually afraid of the Norton.
    Valk rider and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  10. Flyin' Monkeys

Flyin' Monkeys Wicked Witch Airlines Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big differences between the 1975 Norton for sale above, compared to the 1974 Norton.

My very first BIG bike was a brand new '74 Norton 850 Commando.

'74 Norton shifts on the right side, and is kick start only.

'75 Norton shifts on the left, and is an Electric start.

That '75 Norton for sale, with the sidecar, is the Interstate model, so it has the larger fuel tank.
  11. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only the ‘72 commandos had the “Combat” engine. They were 750s, as Norton didn’t go to the 850 till mid ‘73 model year. The higher compression of the combat and the higher lift cam, which allowed it to rev higher were its downfall.
    That ‘75 in the add looks neglected, + the sidecar mounting clamps on the very thin frame tubes, especially the tail loop behind the seat, is not a good idea. The chassis was very rigid due to the huge frame backbone, but the other frame tubes are rather small.
  12. travellin

travellin rambler

Oddometer:
  13. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Why do you say are never really happy ? Most we have done have turned into long time friendships. ////// The ,what you call 'camber jack' is not unco,,om om Jay's builds and are used by hannugan also as well as others. They work well but iy is not a bad idea to carry a solid strut or a manually adjustable one, as a backup if required. Yes adjustable gearing can be nice.
  14. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Jay has used that setup for a long long time. Never seen a failure there but on older models have redone some upper bracketry due to the heim ends putting more stress up top as there is little resistance to rotational forces with a heim end. Have not seen this issue pop up in quite a while though.
    Flyin' Monkeys, BJMoose and davebig like this.
  15. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Actually that is the second build...forst one was a k bike. he is quite the craftsman.
  16. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Jim B converted chaings to bmw air head engines for years.
  17. ErictheBiking

ErictheBiking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    very cool

[​IMG]
    phughes and krautman like this.
  19. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Poor choice of words Claude, I should have said some people are never quite happy because they never get the suspension or gearing sorted appropriately. Example was the Red Baron ever happy in 6th gear stock ?
    Sorting thru ads daily one can always find hacks with very few miles owner decided this isn't for him BMW Bud for example.
    As for Camber adjusters anything that makes a hack more complicated may or may not be a pain in the ass.

Where have you been for the last year or so ? We all miss your guidance :-)
    BJMoose likes this.
  20. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: