FUCCT-UP Four Unvisited Corners of Canada Tour-Underexplored Places - Two Twins to Tuk

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TagBagger, Jul 28, 2018.

1. TagBagger

TagBagger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0016.JPG Two months, two Africa Twins, a loose plan, and my son and I. We will leave Halifax, Nova Scotia July 30th, heading west for The Dempster and Tuktoyaktuk. After Tuk, The Alaskan border, then The Canol Road, some riding in the Rockies, returning East via Point Pelee ON, and The TransLab Highway. Back home via Western Newfoundland having covered all the Provinces and Territories except Nunavut and PEI.

Ian (my son) has a 2017 Africa Twin that we got used with 1000 miles on it this Spring, I'm on a 2018 AT Adventure Sport (and at 6 foot tall, on my tiptoes) The bikes have some aftermarket kit - Touratech headlight guards, AltRider Front Fender lifts, Rear brake Resevoir guard on the AT, Eastern Beaver PC8 power blocks, 2 Gallon Rotopax Fuel, Giant Loop luggage (Mototrek panniers on Givi Racks on the 2017AT, Great Basin Saddlebag on the 2018 ATAS (no Givi racks yet available) Possibles Pouches, and Diablo Tank Bags) , Heated grips, and centre stands.

We plan to mostly camp, make a beeline for Tuk, then take a little more relaxed trip down and back. Hopefully I'll update here regularly when the data gods allow.

Here's hoping the trip succeeds on it's objectives, but fails to live up to it's name...
    gs.08.15, scudo, knight and 16 others like this.
  2. Grizzler

Grizzler Gas Passer For Hire

Oddometer:
    I'm in! And if you're coming through Edmonton in either direction let me know...
  3. TagBagger

Oddometer:
    We will, likely on the return - aiming to come in North on the way there, at Lac la Biche, so we can visit our namesake town - Grimshaw AB.
    inverted likes this.
  4. shereef

shereef Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Watching !!!
    TagBagger likes this.
  5. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    Have a great safe trip ! Did a similar run last summer... the arctic is beyond incredible ! You and your son??...man that is the stuff of legends!!! I'm leaving on the 30th in the opposite direction for Labrador :happay
    TagBagger likes this.
  6. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    how is it your namesake town, are you descendants of Dr. Grimshaw? hit me up when you're in town, I'll buy you a coffee (or beverage of your choice) or even put you up for the night if you so desire. I was born and raised here in Grimshaw.
  7. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Following along.
    This is gonna be one !@#$%&---*% trip eh??
    I'll watch and try catch you when you go through my part of Canada.
  8. TagBagger

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Edmonton, and always remember Grimshaw Trucking, and Grimshaw pop. Dr. Grimshaw and I likely share a common ancestor as both our families were from the same area of Ontario. And I too am a Dr. Grimshaw...
    inverted likes this.
  9. TagBagger

Oddometer:
    IMG_0017.JPG Loaded up and ready to go in the morning. It may look bad, but it's not. The big orange/green bags at the back are just light but bulky ground rolls, the orange/green bags on top, wet weather gear, and our luxury item - a chair each.
  10. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be watching your trip unfold. Ride safe and have a great trip. I am in southwestern Ontario near Aylmer. If you need a camp spot/shower/beer/BBQ/bike maintenance facility; let me know.....Dave
  11. BlueNozr

BlueNozr R90S Lifer

Oddometer:
    Will be following your tour.. Bon Voyage mes amis.
    shereef likes this.
  12. Smidty

Smidty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  13. TagBagger

Oddometer:
    IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0029.JPG IMG_0030.JPG Day One 730 km Halifax NS to Edmunston NB - We got underway about 8:30 - a record early day for my son. Twinned highway all the way - Halifax to Truro to Moncton to Edmunston. At the campsite at Parc de la République by 5:30. Saw the world's largest Blueberry in Oxford, but passed on the World's Largest Axe in Nacckawic, and the World's Longest Covered Bridge in Hartland. The bikes were great, weather a little hot - 31 C max. Good weather tomorrow, on through Quebec and into Ontario
    scudo, bobw, MizzouRider and 3 others like this.
  14. TagBagger

Oddometer:
    IMG_0031.JPG Day Two - Thought I'd get up early and grab Ian a coffee - hit rush hour at Timmies
  15. TagBagger

Oddometer:
    IMG_0003.JPG Day Two Edmunston to Kemptville ON

An 800 km day exactly. It wasn't supposed to be quite that far, but having mapped a route avoiding Montreal in rush hour, fates intervened.

The first part of the trip was great up and down low mountains, nice views. Rivière du Loop to Quebec was nice too, but after Quebec - boring highway and lots of traffic. 20 miles short of Montreal, my son came on the intercom to say my load was shifting. By the time I'd pulled over, the exhaust had melted through a dry bag and my ground pad - pity it was the best I've ever had. Had to reroute to Montreal to replace it, which wasn't much fun in the 33 degree heat. Rolled into Rideau River Provincial Park as the sun set - was quickly relieved of $75 (seriously, it's a campground not a hotel).

Rain in the forecast tomorrow - maybe not another 700+ day, just a short one to maybe North Bay or so...

Pics romorrow
    scudo, bobw, rubline and 2 others like this.
  16. TagBagger

Oddometer:
    1ECC5934-7DE0-4260-8BFB-4FC8BB95C302.jpeg One fried bag/sleeping pad. I was looking for the same one for my son last week. MEC said they had no Thermarest NeoAir Dreams in Canada. Pity, it was the best I’ve tried.
    rubline likes this.
  17. TagBagger

Oddometer:
    6979F69C-7276-4FCC-8296-51E45E9EC6B2.jpeg Campsite not exactly as advertised - 90%dirt/mud. Staff refused to switch to another site. I’d say “I won’t be back” but its an empty threat
    scudo, gs1200rider and rubline like this.
  18. TagBagger

Oddometer:
    2B8C677D-152A-4D9B-8FBF-86657C4C18EA.jpeg Loadout v. 2.0 - hopefully plastic and exhaust will not mix!
    scudo, B10Dave and Shaggie like this.
  19. TagBagger

Oddometer:
    FC86D75A-B09D-4D64-9AD5-ED93A52C1E16.jpeg 10F9BD2E-18C4-47EE-8367-0E914F63A1E7.jpeg FA3965D6-8A39-4EF3-97E1-8720F7141439.jpeg 31CC1EE6-858C-4E08-9B5A-2DD0285605BC.jpeg Day 3 Kemptville to North Bay, a sedate 391 km ride. Nice riding thru forrested hills alongside the Ottawa River, which was only occasionally seen. Passed the spot where Samuel de Champlain’s lost astrolabe was found afyer he lost it in 1613 (possibly), the Brent Meteor Crater (a 2 mile wide 450 million year old meteor impact crater, unless you’re a creationist, in which case, a recent red herring), and Chalk River Labs near Deep River, where the World’s First Nuclear Reactor meltdown occured in 1952. Jimmy Carter (yes that Jimmy carter) was part of the cleanup crew.

Rain for the last 100 km, otherwise a great day. Laundry day at a motel tonight.
    scudo, Serp, bobw and 9 others like this.
  20. TagBagger

Oddometer:
    Day 4 - 454 km (2500 done) North Bay to Pancake Bay. A nice ride thru a mix on Canadian Shield and very Southern Ontario agriculture. Once we reached Lake Superior more rugged mountains could be seen to the North. The only ‘excitment’ waz the forest fires, esp. a huge one north of Parry Sound. It threatened the Trans-Canada yesterday, so I was a bit worried when we started smelling smoke and seeing haze as we neared Sudbury, but it only lasted for 20-20 miles. Today cooled off, down to a positivley chilly 22 from the humid low thirties of the rest of the week. Pancake Bay is lovely, part of The end of Superior where the Edmund Fitzgerald was running for when she broke up killing all 29 aboard. Tomorrow, we have a date with the world’s largest goose...

The bikes are great, though I’d like to kill the Honda exec who vetoed cruise control on the throttle by wire Africa Twin ATAS...

Attached Files:

ACR, bobw, MizzouRider and 4 others like this.