Fuel filter?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by EnduroJoe, Jun 6, 2004.

1. EnduroJoe

EnduroJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've seen some post about adding a fuel filter and just wondering, isn't the fuel strainer on top of the gas cock good enough to do the job?
  2. Anthony

Anthony Hurry up, Stephie!

Oddometer:
    I got dirt in my carb. Small black chunks. Looked like the cinders they use to add grip to snowy roads here in Flagstaff. Probably blew into the big underground tanks at the Circle K when they were filling them. I had an inline filter added between the pump and the carbs...

Anthony
  3. EnduroJoe

EnduroJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was under the impression that there wasn't even a strainer in line, but it does have one in the tank. At least if see something big falls in, the strainer should catch it. Hadn't thought about a lot of dust being dissolved in the gas. I'll have to add a filter the next time I have the tank off also.
  4. turkish

turkish Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're talking about the 950, the fuel line that comes up on the left side of the frame has a union right in the middle. Take out the union and drop in a small fuel filter. It takes about 5 minutes if you already have the tank off for something else and you'll need one other hose clamp to replace the non-reusable one you'll have to destroy to get the union off.
  5. EnduroJoe

EnduroJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, was going run up to autozone and get one to put at the union. but at least theres a strainer to catch some dirt, and it was to nice a day to be working on it instead of riding it. so (hopefully) it'll have to wait till the next time I have the tank off.