This has been my fuel gauge for the last several thousand miles. I checked and had power to the fuel gauge sender. Removed the sender from the tank and the float was sliding normally inside the tube. I checked sender with an Ohm meter and was getting a range of 110 ohms to 10 ohms from full to empty. Unfortunately the repair manual doesn't provide what the expected Ohm range should be for the sender, so I ordered up a replacement. Finally got around to installing the new sender today and figured I'd outline the steps I took and what I found. First off, I had around a half tank of gas still so I dropped the bike onto it's side to let the gas flow to the fuel pump side then closed the transfer petcocks and picked it back up. This made for a lot less mess or having to drain the tank. Ready to operate. I pulled the sender and started making comparisons: Both senders measured the same ohm range. Both floats seemed to slide easily inside the tube. I was starting to wonder if I was barking up the right tree replacing the sender. Hating the idea that I had missed something I took the old sender apart. Dropped the float from the old sender into a container of gas. It sank like a rock. Problem found! Dang Italians... The float absorbed fuel and lost buoyancy. Can't blame this one on me! Got the new sender installed and have a working gauge again! :) A handy thing to have if I forget to set the ODO at a fill up or were to develop an unnoticed fuel leak while riding. Glad to have it back working again. I might let the old float dry out and do some reading on what I would safely coat it with to seal it and keep it as a quick replacement.