Fuel in Yaraka

Discussion in 'Australia' started by speedwobble2, Sep 8, 2020.

1. speedwobble2

speedwobble2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just letting everyone know not to rely on fuel supply in Yaraka.
    The shop ( if you can call it a shop) is only open about 2 hours a week, the rest of the time it’s unattended . The locals are pissed off with their antics.
    A week or so ago a couple of bikes pulled in for fuel and were told to come back in an hour as they were buisy, waited an hour and rocked up only to be told no we are not going to serve you go away.
    Pretty sad as it’s a great place to visit.
    Blakduk and GodSilla like this.
  2. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
  3. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    It's [truly] in the middle of nowhere with a population of 12 people.

I'm surprised anybody would bother with any sort of retail establishment....
  4. speedwobble2

Oddometer:
    Well that little shop was turning over well into the 6 figures per annum a few years ago, not just food, but anything you could want from farm chemicals to car parts and everything in between all at very keen prices because the owner at the time got off his arse and had a go. Ran it like that for 15 years then sold out and that’s when it went down hill rapidly. I don’t know if the new owners people skills cut the mustard when answering the phone the standard greeting was “ what the fuck do you want?” then showing no interest what so ever in sourcing goods. Amazing to see how fast someone could fuck a good business .
  5. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    That does seem a bit odd Speedwobble. Purchasing a $100k pa turnover business would have cost the new owners a bob or two.

Why would they then run it into the ground by refusing to offer good service?
  6. JMick

JMick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've seen this happen to lots of different businesses over the years. Someone builds a good business and sells it on. New purchaser has money but no expertise or customer skills (or just no idea) and gradually or promptly runs it into the ground. I used to get takeaways from a Mexican restaurant run by a youngish Aussie husband and Californian wife team. Older bloke bought it and fucked with the recipes. He put hot English mustard into my favourite dish so I stopped buying it. Next time I went in there he's turned it into a fish and chip shop. (Would have been cheaper to just start his own shop since he obviously wasn't going to keep any of the goodwill by changing the recipes and then the cuisine). In less than 6 months the place was closed. I'd been buying there for a good few years before that. Makes you wonder how he got the money to buy the place to start with, it certainly wasn't due to his business acumen.

Mick
  7. speedwobble2

Oddometer:
    A good question.. It’s a bit of a saga, a bit too long to go into on here. The current owners were welcomed into the community and given every opportunity to the extent the pub gave up their coffee machine to let the shop have a little extra especially through tourist season but they couldn’t be bothered making coffee for tourists or locals, I’m involved with several community groups and when we approached them to supply all the soft drinks and juices ,milk ect for one of our functions we were told go buy it elsewhere. They banned most of the locals from the shop including the local policeman and the council employees . Draw your own conclusions.
  8. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Reading between the lines it sounds like the new owners were gifted the business and had no real interest in making a success of it.
  9. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Money laundering?

How’s the pub going now with new owners too? :hide
  10. speedwobble2

Oddometer:
    Pub’s going ok, catering more for tourists. It’s not like when the previous owner had it. The only pub I know of where if it was unattended you could walk round through the back door into the bar and serve yourself and either leave money or tick the slate when you left, worked well, wasn’t public knowledge but all the locals knew.
    Shop ....money laundering ....nah more like idiots, the female part of the show has been telling everyone she’s a witch, mental issues come to mind. Entertaining to say the least.
    Blakduk likes this.
  11. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shades of Wee Jasper.
    bungen likes this.
  12. Chop Chop

Chop Chop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is Doug still the local rozzer? Last time I was there, unbeknownst to us he phoned ahead to Windorah to make sure we arrived safely and apparently told the local constable to look after us with whatever we needed or he wouldn't pass his upcoming firearms proficiency test:clap
    tomo8r likes this.
  13. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Well the service was no better in Isisford Bakery either.. 100_1445.JPG 100_1446.JPG 100_1447.JPG 100_1448.JPG 100_1449.JPG 100_1450.JPG 100_1451.JPG 100_1452.JPG
    So I went up the street a bit..
    100_1455.JPG 100_1456.JPG
    Wodger63, Blakduk and sidetrack one like this.
  14. speedwobble2

Oddometer:
    Doug was forced to retire due to age mid 2018. Best cop we’ve ever had out here. Rode a bike , no arrests in 15 years , after a big night he would come round with his breatho and ask if you wanted to go on the bag as he didn’t want you getting nailed up the road. Nothing was too much, pity more cops weren’t like him.
  15. speedwobble2

Oddometer:
  16. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    The blonde lady behind the counter was so helpfull..she and her daughter came out and had brekkie with me..
  17. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    A few more attractions in the shire..or neighbouring shire.. 100_1419.JPG 100_1420.JPG 100_1421.JPG 100_1422.JPG 100_1425.JPG 100_1429.JPG 100_1442.JPG 100_1443.JPG 100_1462.JPG 100_1467.JPG
    Boxa, Ron50, Blakduk and 1 other person like this.
  18. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
  19. leighwgold

leighwgold Ph.D. of B.S. Supporter

Oddometer: