Fuel Injector Cleaners

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by blatant, Jul 19, 2010.

1. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone add fuel injector cleaner to their f800gs or 650gs? Such as Chevron Techron or something to that effect? Is it a good idea to do so every so many miles as regular main't? Is there any harm in this?
  2. NHRedleg

NHRedleg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After off season storage mine ran a bit rough on the Stabil-ized tank and then even on the first tank of fresh gas. I added some Sea Foam to the next tank and it cleared it right up. I use Sea Foam in the TW200 as well to keep the carb clean. It seems to be a bit of a snake oil when you read the can and all it claims to do, but it just seems to work when added to the fuel system.
  3. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sea foam is a bit "more" than i'm thinking. I'm wondering about general main't shit that you would throw in your tank every 3-5k or what not. Not that seafoam is a bad deal. Just something a bit more...i don't know, low key??
  4. NHRedleg

NHRedleg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see what you're saying. Though, I feel that if using a branded fuel you are getting as much detergent as you need. I personally stay away from "off" brand fuel and am using super, as I haven't had my computer re-mapped. Fuel today is full additives and detergents, especially in the higher grades. I think that routine use of an added cleaner is not really necessary, but do what you like it can't really hurt...just like why I started taking a baby aspirin daily when I turned 40.
  5. Bubba Satori

Bubba Satori Finding my way home

Oddometer:
    +1
  6. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very true, although if you're in a neck of the woods where they put 10% ethanol in the mix, I'd recommend using Seafoam. Ethanol will gum up injectors quick. I don't know why, but others will probably be able to chime in here as to why. Use 1oz of Seafoam for every gallon of gas. So, for the F800GS, that's 4oz of Seafoam per tank, since it's a 4.2 gallon tank. It does wonders every other tank or every third tank. Runs smoother, better power delivery, etc.... it's a maintenance thing, cheap insurance. As a plus, you can get Seafoam everywhere.
  7. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    I use the following in all of my motors...every now and then. ALWAYS when I change my oil.
    ...and in no particular order of importance. It usually depends if I find one of these on sale. They all do the same thing, ultimately.

Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner
    Sea Foam
    Lucas Upper Cyl and Fuel System Cleaner
    B12-Chemtool

Recently I have used the Chevron stuff as I found a buy one/get one at Auto-Zone, so I loaded up.

Knock-wood, but I've never had a fueling issue in my: bike (Ducati), bike (BMW), boat (Mercury), truck (Toyota), truck (Chevy), car (BMW), mower (Honda), riding mower (Tecumse)...and they're all up there in age and mileage ['cept the bike (BMW)]. I buy stuff for the long-haul. :freaky
  8. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use chevron techron "fuel system cleaner". One ounce per gallon every 1,500 to 3,000 miles, just like BMW recommends.

12,000 miles on the clock, zero fuel injector, fuel pump and fuel level sensor problems.

P.s. You are not getting this detergent / alcohol corrosion preventative with branded gas unless your filling up at chevron or texaco stations because it is patented.

What you are usually getting at other stations, branded or not, is the formula in chevron techron "fuel infector cleaner" because tha patent is up on this formula. Note however, the old chevron stuff (fuel injector cleaner) does not protect against water/alcohol corrosion like the new stuff (fuel system cleaner) does.
  9. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you guys are saying essentially 4 oz per tank, chevron system clean every so many miles or couple of tanks etc.

the bmw stuff, on ascycles, which has a container that looks exactly like the chevron techron container is 20oz and it states put the whole thing in every 3000miles. Seems like a lot but what do i know...
  10. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:

Their add must be wrong. The BMW stuff says right on the bottle "1oz per gallon"

Web link so I can get them to fix their ad?

5x streingth will damage rubber and plastic parts!
  12. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, Chevron "techron concentrate fuel system cleaner" is exactly the same thing in the same bottle as "BMW fuel system cleaner +"

Any adds saying "add the whole bottle to tank" are refering to cars with 12-30 gallon fuel tanks. 1 oz per gallon once every 3,000 miles is the correct dose, though adding more frequently won't hurt as long as you don't exceed 1 oz per gallon by more then double.

No idea what that new stuff is, but I have very high regards for chevron products, it's worth checking out.
  14. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    joel i've seen you pipe up in other threads, you seem to have a pretty good handle on alot of shit. Thx for your input.
  15. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    I only wish Joel worked in a Denver store... :D
  16. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys :)

And I would LOVE to work in Colorado even if for no other reason then the riding, but Denver is a great city!

I'm happy and connected to saint louis though, and like the guys I work with and for.

On the topic at hand, we just freed up a stuck fuel pump today. Bike was towed in and I'm pretty convinced techron would have prevented it.

Our district service rep strongly recommends techron and so do I.

Happy riding all.
  17. Gizmo

Gizmo Hermes

Oddometer:
    It is not a bad idea to add a fuel injector cleaner about every 3000 miles. I add Chevron Techron every 3K.
  18. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Sorry I haven't stopped to check, I have to go out of my way to get to these stations... can you get the Chevron fuel system cleaner at their respective fueling stations?

Thanks
  19. oclv454

oclv454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After being hauled to my dealer twice, and new injectors installed, I have been adding the BMW techron fuel additive/injector cleaner. I add 4 ounces every three or four tank fills. Knock on wood. All good so far. OCLV
  20. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ender, yes, usually.

Oclv454, I am not pleased BMW fuel pumps are so sensitive to shit gas full of ethinol that is contaminated with water. I'm actually pretty pissed about it. But....... The USA is the only country that allows ethinol without the propper additives such as isopropyl alcohol to make sure water/ethinol does not fall out of suspension, combine with phosphorus and sulpher and turn into an acid that eats pumps that are not super corrosion proof.

The USA makes up what, 3% of bmw's market? The USA is the only market that BMW is experiencing large numbers of fuel pump failures. Even Brazil does ethinol better then we do with the proper additives.

I know it's a pain, but I truly believe the Techron will keep your fuel pump from corroding to death and plugging your injectors.

Please check back and let us know how it goes.

Good luck, I hope this works.