Fuel Injector Cleaners

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by blatant, Jul 19, 2010.

1. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    So what is special about the Chevron "fuel system cleaner"?

Would like to know what I have to look for as that specific stuff is not available in Europe.
  2. AlanI

AlanI Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Right. I guess that's why it doesn't cost us $7/liter. Yet.
  4. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Hi Alan,

I have heard that was well, but as I don't really read the German BMW forums I am not sure if that automatically means the F8 won't have any fuel pump problems over here?

Cheers
  5. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The formula is patented so you won't find the chief ingredient in other products, but the only thing special relates to treating water contaminated ethinol oxygenated fuel.

The USA is the only country that allows ethinol oxygenated fuel to be sold that does not contain propper additives.

That said, other ingredients in techron are helpful for cleaning deposits from injectors and valves.

You can get chevron techron concentrate from any BMW dealer, car or motorcycle. It's relabled as "BMW group, fuel system cleaner plus" 82 14 0 413 341
  6. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
  7. AlanI

AlanI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I mentioned this to my dealer a few weeks ago when the bike was in for service. He didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned fuel pump problems, leaking coolant gaskets, problem cannisters (which we don't have fitted here anyway due to stricter emission laws) or in fact, chain/sprocket recalls. Either we are lucky or the fact that the bike was released later in Germany allowed them to discover all the problem areas first and rectify them prior to release. Who knows.
  8. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure on this question, but given that the container of techron is 10 or more oz, and for our bikes you only use a couple oz at a time the bottle could sit open for several weeks / months. Is there any issues with a bottle of bmw/techron sitting partially used on a shelf till it would be time again to use it?
  9. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joel... I think we talked about this in another thread as well but I wanted to report my findings. I recently added some of the fuel cleaner that I bought at a local Chevron (it was behind the counter next to the nudy magazines, where it should be).

The first thing I noticed was less of a "wobble" during idle of the entire system. I've been listening to the slight "off" in the rhythm of the engine and exhaust for a while but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. I also started to hear my valves more distinctly but this may be due to my paranoia. All in all I feel much better about my fuel system and I bought another bottle to add to my Civic and SV650SF!!! My poor '08 SV has over 24k miles on it and is definitely due for a full system tune-up as soon as my garage goes down to less than 120 degrees in the Texas sun...
  10. KnuckC

KnuckC F8er

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't filling up with Chevron gasoline with Techron be sufficient or do you have to buy there additive as well?
  11. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I recently heard that the fuel additives in the Chevron gasoline (possibly from Joel lol) are not enough to negate the effects of bad fuel over the 100 other times I've filled up at crappy stations. If I could fuel at Chevron all the time maybe I wouldn't be so enthusiastic about using the concentrate cleaner, but I don't so I figured the $3.3 of cleaner (1/3 of a 10 dollar 12 oz bottle) should be worth it if I didn't have stalling issues when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

FYI... I don't own stock in Chevron, in fact I like Shell more because they sponsor Formula 1 racing :lol3
  12. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't THINK this is a problem. If you were using an additive that was a drier or emulsiphacant, one with iso alcohol, it would pick up water and slowly become useless.

Techron concentratement is a molecular bonding treatment that cleans and bonds with metals to remove build up AND protect them from corroding. It is not hygroscopic, if you add water to it, the water will just sit at the bottom, so it won't pull moisture out of the air.

I would tightly cap it between uses.

Note: there are 3 chevron cleaners.

1 "chevron fuel injector cleaner". Will clean injectors and valves, can build up if used to frequently, will NOT protect from water contaminated alcohol corrosion.

2 "chevron synthetic cleaner". I'm not familiar with this product and don't know what it does.

3 "Chevron concentrate Fuel SYSTEM Cleaner". This is the product I am refering to. Won't build up, cleans everything AND DOES protect metals from water contaminated alcohol corossion.

All these products and others do something, but #3 is the one that has reduced our fuel pump and injector failures down to zero.

I have no stock in chevron but if a product will stop customers from yelling at me about their fuel pumps failing, I will marry it!
  13. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Not if you put the cap back on.
  14. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well here is the one that seems to be popping up or is all over the place by me. I know the one you're speaking of joel, the system cleaner as I've used it and it costs more than the injector cleaner.

Have a look. It'd be nice to know about this one as well.

[​IMG]
  15. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    full packaging.

[​IMG]
  16. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I can find some, I'll try it on some stuck pumps, fire off emails to Chevron and my DSR, and get the MSDS. Could be a bit though, I'm filling 2 jobs at once at my dealer and getting crushed by the work load.
  17. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Folks:

Today while on the road between Charlotte and Raleigh... I pulled into a BP station I got a NICE surprise when I pulled the the pumps. There was a big sticker on the 89 octane (mid-grade) that said "Silver contains no ethanol".
    :clap

Silver is what BP calls their mid-grade fuel....

Has anybody else seen this pop up?
    Perhaps BP is responding to all the bitching about ethanol?
    I'm going to drive by my local BP station tomorrow. If they have the same sticker I'm gonna be a BP customer for sure ... if they don't have that sticker... I'm gonna talk to the manager ... his an aquantance....
  18. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haven't seen that but i'm not even sure if i know where a bp is in this huge city. I'll keep a sharp eye.