Fuel Pump, another potential fix

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by men8ifr, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Mfed

Mfed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to jump in here... these are my points at just under 13k on a '06 950SM. Needless to say I replaced them.

Attached Files:

2. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah thanks for that. Here is a new set. I'll see what shape mine are in Sunday and if bad, install the Dr Bean ones.

[​IMG]
  3. ridewestKTM

ridewestKTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    First old issue. It was said at the start of this thread that a capacitor and/or diode addition could fix arcing. I got to thinking about that and I wondered if the demonstrations were when the pump was loaded or not - cycling slow would change everything - the coil is high inductance putting additional stuff on it while pumping fast may not demonstrate anything. Just a thought.

Second a JFTR. My personal generation 2 pump kit acted up last weekend. Has about 22k miles on it. I put two wires across the fuse and ran them out of the box where I could touch them together to cycle the pump. Effective or not I got home 15mi or so. At home I replaced the fuse and tried it - all was well. Don't know what was happening. Anyway to be sure I have replaced my own gen 2 with my gen 3. All is right and good. My reason for this is; for any one wanting to know the status of my own testing.
  4. slammer218

slammer218 Slammer

Oddometer:
    PM sent for some info.....
  5. tfitch03

tfitch03 Turkey

Oddometer:
    Does the fuel pump on your 990 make any noise when you turn the key on? Mine doesnt make a peep and my bike wont start. I have never heard it make noise but now it wont start and I fear the pump may be out. Even when I put my hand on it I cant feel anything when I turn the key. Thoughts?
  6. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi, this thread is for the 950 external fuel pump, the 990 has a completly different setup not prone to fail like the 950, but in other ways!

If you put the kill switch on and nothing happens, the pump is not producing the necessary pressure to feed the fuel injection system.

Either bad electrical connections of clogged filters but i'm more inclined to the first option then faulty pump.
  7. tfitch03

tfitch03 Turkey

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I didnt realize it was dedicated to 950's, my apologies. The filters are brand new so I am going to check all the connections and then I guess start looking for a replacement.
  8. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  9. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought this pump from these guys on flea bay.

KTM 950 R Superenduro '06-08' Fuel Petrol Pump Type 2 | eBay

Firstly yesterday when I ordered it, was 79 quid...today 95 quid. This pump is not a direct replacement for the SE. The pipes for the fuel line are for 16mm 8/16 fuel pipe and the orientation is 180 degrees different. So you have to re-plumb the T piece with a straight bit of pipe and shorten the hose with the snap connector, thought it was hard disconnecting the fuel line on the SE!!!...well try now.... You can’t spin the pump around cos the breather nozzle won’t fit up against the tank because of the design of the mounting plate on the tank.

They drop ship from this company. http://www.hilevel1.co.uk/cpg14/menu.php<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Have to say she's running much better...the dip mid throttle has gone..so pump was on its way out.
  10. Bgunn

Bgunn Mucha distancia

Oddometer:
    Getting ready for the Dr Bean upgrade. Looking through the shop manual I didn't see anything on the fuel pump removal.

Any trick for getting to the connector for the fuel pump wires?

Last ride before the upgrade, and my bike died 2 miles from home. :lol3
  11. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the install with the pump mounted to the bike, just hanging in the fuellines (yeah I´m lazy)

Laying on my back soldering, it was ok. If You have acces to a lift It will be easier though
  12. Dr_Bean

Dr_Bean Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    I think you should be able to get to the pump, fuellines and connector by just removing the engine-protection guard (bashplate).
    But I think you have to remove the left-tank if you do not want to remove the original (1xuse) hose-clamps on the pump.

For me it is difficult to tell, because I modified my 950adv so much that most of these things are different (I have a home made bashplate, fuelfilter in the line and battery, starterrelais and regulator below the seat-bank).
    http://forum.lc8.nl/modules.php?set...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
  13. Bgunn

Bgunn Mucha distancia

Oddometer:
    With a little help from Dr Bean :thumb