Fuel Pump: Any one found a Denso brand replacement?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by FinTec, Feb 19, 2020.

1. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In less then 30k I have had the original (Bosch) pump go then replaced with "Quantum Fuel Systems" one (no name) and it recently went as well.

I love certain aspects about German engineering but electronic (including electro-mechanical)...I give the nod to the Japanese.

I have searched all the threads here on pumps with all the various options, but they all seem to be a Bosch unit or a no name.

I really want to find a Denso brand pump for this application.

Anyone find one/use one and have the part number?
  2. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    There is supposed to be a Denso that is a drop-in but the only guy that I know that had the part number dropped off the map when he left BMW and went to work for Aprilla ... (Joel Wiseman)

This one sounds good on paper:
    https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-3546...mw-f800gs-2007-2020-replaces-16148555171.html

Scavenged from somewhere I have this list of P/N that are all supposed to cross-over:

BOSCH 40 47024 21609 9

CHEVROLET 93 238 459

DELPHI FE000477

FIAT 7789626

HYUNDAI 31111 3L000

VEMO V70-09-0004
  4. N4pSt3R

N4pSt3R SaradisSt

Oddometer:
    I run the BOSCH, 45K km so far and is ok, I have a spare in my bag all the time so its ok.
  5. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Did you replace the filter when you replaced the pump? I'm sure when I got my pump from Quantum it had a lifetime warranty.
  6. N4pSt3R

N4pSt3R SaradisSt

Oddometer:
    Yes, i replace both filters, the screen before pump and the fuel filter after pump.
  7. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you to all for the input. VERY helpful.

Woody2627: yep, I replaced the intake screen as well as a new filter. I actually do the filter annually as I now run an exterior one and it is easy and inexpensive to do. You can see that here if interested in doing the mod HERE.

For reference: my last two failures where always when I had around 1/4 tank of gas. Of course this puts the pump in the air and not fully submerged in gas which acts as a coolant. I would have issues, then fill the tank and no more issues until tank become low on fuel again.

So I followed that lead on the Toyota Corolla. Looks like a good one from my research. Size and format seems to be a match. The part number I came up with is: Denso #951-0001. I picked 94' Corolla as point of reference. So have one on order and it should be here next week. Also: not the cheapest pumps. This one was $97 and that was the best deal I could find. Premium pump at premium price? We'll see. And will be testing the lifetime warrantee on the Quantum as well. Always good to have a new spare on shelf.

Dang, I think it would be fantastic to have a full (and verified) list of all cross-over fuel pumps for this bike. You never know where you will be, be it another state or another country, and this would be very handy considering the frequency of this issue.

Side question: does anyone know the operating fuel pressure for our bikes? I used some logging from a GS911 device and came up with 66psi. Sounds about right for fuel injection, but never could versify that. Anyone know for sure?
    ROMAD likes this.
  8. N4pSt3R

N4pSt3R SaradisSt

Oddometer:

If I am correct is 3bar and 100l/hour
  9. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    N4pSt3R: Thank you! But I think that is the flow rating of the pump itself as it comes with the 100l/hr rating and they need to give it a pressure number to make it repeatable. And I have also run into that same set of numbers for our pump rating as well.

What I need is the operating pressure of our fuel system. I am curious as maybe I have it wrong and I am stressing the pump with my aftermarket PWM control of the pump.
    N4pSt3R likes this.
  10. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    This is 2nd hand another inmate said the RepRom has it listed at:
    3.5 bar with 60 l/hr minimum. 3.5 bar is ~50psi...
    My RepRom is in my bin or I'd try to confirm that................
  11. BigBrian

BigBrian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RockAuto has the Denso pump for a 1994 Corolla for $66.79

Would be interesting if it all works correctly.

I will be following this thread.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2142914&cc=1434199&jsn=421
  12. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice find BigBrian! I should have done as good a job on the inter-web thingy.

Yep, will report back as soon as running.
  13. BigBrian

BigBrian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You get good at finding deals when you're a cheap bas err I mean thrifty.
    ROMAD likes this.
  14. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    After a couple of failures, I'd question if something else is going on. Unless, the 2nd pump was junk, or just bad luck, or filter(s) getting restricted.
    Not to put a curse on my pump, but my 15 F800GSA has run 70k miles and fueled up in 70+ countries with 1 filter change (due for another).
  15. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bakercdlb,

Could not agree more and we are looking at all aspects here on the pump and associated fuel system. The failures where either just bad luck (coincidence) or something else needs to be addressed. We certainly have made some aggressive changes to the fuel system. Items changed in fuel system:

- We are now driving the pump via PWM with the Motec unit. This is certainly not stock but my Motec tuner dude assures us they drive these pumps all the time with no issues.

- Remote fuel filter (10 micron for EFI)

- Custom machined fuel rail with all new performance fuel lines and all -AN fittings

- Custom machined outlet from fuel tank

* all of these mods are in the build thread HERE *

We did run flow tests of stock set-up to new one and they came out same. We are going to change out the inlet screen filter at end of pump this time with one from BestRest website:
    Guglatech Filter.
    [​IMG]
    If anyone has experience with this one, please speak up. Maybe the stock one is clogging or collapsing or ?

We are still trying to find the operating fuel pressure of the 800 GS. As I mentioned before, we believe it is 66-67psi. If ANYONE can confirm this, love to know.