Fuel range??

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by zmotomann, Jun 13, 2004.

1. zmotomann

zmotomann No Quarter Supporter

Oddometer:
    What kind of fuel range are you gettting on you 950's. I did the flannys vascitomy of the SAS etc. and some jetting and I have Remus Carbon Grand prix Ovals( which Sound so sweet and work great) I love it every time some tells me that its a sound of beauty. And NO! Backfiring. My fuel light comes on @ around 160 mi on avg. and I have put 200mi on it and filler up and she only takes 4.5 gals. How many galons or really useable fuel in the tanks?? And can you reprogram the fuel lights
    Cheers,
    Zman :lol3
  2. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
    the reserve light turn on...

OFFROAD: 180 km
    STREETSPORT: 250 km
    TOURISM: 300 km
  3. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    This is about the same for me I rode once on the street for 35 miles after the light came on and it still only took 5 gallons I have found that the mileage on this bike varies so much depending on how I ride that its very hard to second guess the range I just fill up as soon as I can after the light comes on I plan for 140 miles when plotting routes unless the are all street which mine seldom are
  4. Lone Ranger

Lone Ranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just returned from a 482 mile ride. Almost all pavement. 0 altitude to 8500 feet, lots of twisties, 160 miles of freeway. Fuel reserve light comes on a 175 miles, ran one tank to 215 and one to 202. Both times it took 5.2 gallons to fill it all the way to the top on both tanks. I estimate about 38.xx miles per gallon. Stock bike with 1500 miles on it when I started. PS power got weak at the high altitude. Now if you will excuse me I have to go put some salve on my butt!
  5. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    I've gotten as far as 240 miles on one tank, 80mph, on the interstate on the way back from somewhere. My interstate mileage on this trip was real consistant at 50mpg, 600 miles of interstate.
  6. zmotomann

zmotomann No Quarter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had My local seat guy(who I think makes the best damm seat there is) make a new seat for my LC8 I will try to add pic if I can fiqure out how to post here. I rode 300mi day two weeks ago with a friend which is a easy day. NOT with that damm board on there. We rode today 280mi and Damm I love this bike when your ass is not sore.
    zman
  7. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a 406 KM day and fuel light is flashing for second time again, on the second fill up. It came on at about 200KM as there was 223 KM on trip and 23 KM on F guage. Funny thing is I just went out to double check and the F light is now off, so there was enought fuel for it to reset while on side stand. Half the total mileage was off road, the rest 130 KM fast pace back country twisty stuff. Can this bike ever leave a smile on your face for a long time. :D :D

8. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    hmmmm...i think one day i put a gallon in the side bag and see how far it goes. Light came on at 147 yesterday w/ 16 tooth- half twisties half 75 mph
  9. scooter_scum

scooter_scum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just crossed the 6000 mark this weekend. I've had a total of 32 tanks through the KTM. I think this is the fastest I've ever racked up miles on a bike. I'm on track to have a 12,000 mile this year, just on the KTM.

My best 4 tanks (average) has been 53 MPG. They tended to be on Interstate at around 65-70 MPH
    My worst 4 tanks has been 37.4 MPG. These were off road miles with lots of first and second gear riding

Over all average 43.3 MPG.

Best tank range - 272 miles coming back from Colby, Kansas to Boulder CO- filled up 5.6 Gallons. When the bike came out of the crate. The dealer put in 6.0 gallons So I think the usable range is very close to 5.8 gallons * your MPG.

My jetting is STOCK, I'm running an AdventurePipe exhaust system with 8 disks per side. My altitude here is around 5000 Feet. I'm very pleased with the gas mileage/range. Running on the interstate at 65-70 seems to bring out the best MPG. Best damn bike I've ever owned!!! Can't wait for the next 100K miles.
  10. munichboy

munichboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    150-160 miles until the light at my usual thrashing about speed, but 200 miles on the motorway.
  11. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

Ditto exactly.
  12. Shuffler

Shuffler Hommes Grande

Oddometer:
    you know what's kinda dumb, though? The low fuel mileage indicator resets to zero if you shut the bike off. In other words, maybe I got 10 miles with the fuel light 'on'. No problem; I ride home and figure I'll get to the gas station in the next few days. I go out the next day to start the bike, the fuel light goes on, but the 'F' mileage indicator is back at zero. Not a big deal, but kind of a hassle to try and remember how many miles you have with the fuel light on.
  13. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    Just filled up the morning and here are the results:

In city riding
    162 mile fuel light started.
    184.4 miles fill-up with 4.77 gallons
    Avg miles/gallon = 38.7

Sometimes I miss the 50 mpg from my KLR, but all I have to do is hit the throttle of the 950 and I have no regrets :thumb .,
  14. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod :nod :nod :nod

I've been getting 160 to 175 miles to reserve warning--sometimes the F odo comes on without the light flashing. Riding conditions have been mixed. On one tank, I got well above 40 mpg, non-thrashing highway travel, a good deal of it at 80+ mph, lots of wind.

Latest tank gave me 35 mpg, but I know I put more gas in: centerstand fitted ! :thumb

Wait, haven't I posted this before?
  15. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    Same for me... at best.
  16. scooter_scum

scooter_scum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it is more an issue of putting the bike on the centerstand, and all the gas from the uphill tank moving over to the tank with the low fuel sensor. I think mine keeps it's mind between shutdowns, but not sitting on the side stand and gass moving.
  17. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    I usually drive 200 to 220 km until the light lites up. I need anywhere between 15.5 and 16.5 litres to fill her up at that point.

My Katoom's got almost worse mpg than my car... :nod But hey, I don't drive the Ford like a maniac. The maniac thing has come so far, that I currently have a right elbow injury, 'cause the bike pulls so friggin' hard. The doctor says I overstretched it while riding the ADV. Time for seat belts :eek1