Fuel strip fix?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by wjrudo, Nov 29, 2012.

1. FinlandThumper

FinlandThumper Sleepy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    First, thanks to @mikegc for your input.

I contacted the guy in Holland who sells the fix, and here is what he told me. Sounds to me like the fuel pump assemby is the same for the GS, GSA, and RT models so the signals are the same. That's good news for all. But the float system is different, as below. I am going to wait a bit to see how the test on the RT works before committing, also because my dealer is taking care of the issue now as I just bought the bike.

I check this at BMW, the fuel pump on a RT from >2010 looks like as a GSA.

Because the tank shape is different, the float from a GSA will not work.

BMW tells that a float: 16148554066 will fit on the RT from 2010.

But I have not tested this, so it's a little of a gamble.

The converter will work because the tank ribbon is the same on a GSA and on a RT, so the signals are the same.

At this moment someone in The Netherlands is testing this on a his RT.

So if you want to wait, please do.

Regards,

Henk Oskam

E-mail:
    info@HPoskam.nl

Site:
    www.HPoskam.nl
    Callisto224 and mikegc like this.
  2. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    But nothing when he will be able to ship to the US? :becca
  3. dyg

dyg dyg it Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am in the process of selling my 2008 and of course the fuel strip failed for the 3rd time. Don't want to sell the bike without some kind of resolution for a buyer. Since my island does not have a dealer and I don't want to pay $250 to have it shipped over to Oahu, I called dealer and they will not send me a part that I can install and BMW customer service will not either. I can buy the part but would hate to see it fail again 9which it probably will). So....is there a tutorial of any sort on installing the resistors to spoof the system and get rid of the flashing yellow and basically eliminating the gauge? I am unclear what resistors to buy and how to attach to terminals on fuel pump. Any help would be appreciated.....thanks
  4. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    As promised I put together a simple plug in SIM to fool the zfe.
    Using the info posted from other boards (see my previous post) I put this together. On the other forum a guy found a 39 ohm 1 watt resistor could be used to simulate the strip heater. Fry's didn't have that so I gave the 43 ohm a try. It worked. I measured the current and it shows about 135 mA. Just for grins I doubled up to see if it would still fool. Nope. At 86 ohms it was pulling 108 mA and went fail. I decided to stick with the 43 ohm. It does need to be a 1 watt or bigger. I calculated it was drawing .78 watt. The other resistors don't draw much at all. I chose the 1/2 watt simply for the lead thickness. Big enough to plug into the existing plug.
    [​IMG]

Here's the first pass at resistor cobble.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the resistors soldered up in final configuration prior to heat shrink.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marine shrink added.
    [​IMG]

Finished SIM and parts used
    [​IMG]

For me I added another outer piece of non marine tubing to hold it together. Then I tucked it out of the way.

[​IMG]

Parts list
    1ea 43 ohm 1 watt resistor
    1ea 2.0 K ohm 1/2 watt resistor
    1ea 1.0 M ohm 1/2 watt resistor
    3/4 inch marine shrink tubing

I hope this helps you others out for now.
    Clearly it is not a fix to the problem. It does eliminate the fuel alert.
    Remember to no longer use the mpg or miles to empty anymore. Go back to the old days of resetting your odometer on fill up.

EDIT- Tagging @TXjames to give him credit for the original work on this fooler.
    Thanks TXjames. :beer

Sent from the House of the Rising Sun
    Callisto224 likes this.
  5. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any idea why this resistor in the strip heater is necessary? In his post, bykemike looks as if he only used the 2.0k and 1.0k resistors.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/fuel-strip-spoof-results.1040056/

Here's the original post from TXjames.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/faulty-fuel-level-strips.758453/page-19#post-26148730

Also, now that's it's been a couple years, I wonder if this "fix" is still working?
  6. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    If you notice in his original drawing he taps into the signal wires to add the 2K and 1M resistors. He leaves the strip installed so the heater is still connected via pins 1 & 4. My goal was to totally be able to just plug in a SIM and not have to cut into any wires. This is a Plug N Play solution. I despise cutting into harness.
    You can see in my pics the PO of the bike had apparently done the taps stuff and taped them up. YUK!

If you read thru that other thread I link before There's posts of another member that found the heater value.
    http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=769081&page=all

It's in there about half way thru the thread.
    Callisto224 likes this.
  7. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    With meters connected I was able to confirm how the ZFE operates the fuel strip.
    It starts flowing current thru the heater to confirm it is present. Once it tests good it then ups the voltage to about 8V drawing about 135mA.
    It holds the heater on for about 20 seconds. It then seems to take a reading. It shuts off the current and resets the fault light if it was on about then.
    I had to have the engine running to get the process to start.
    Ronnie B! and Callisto224 like this.
  8. Callisto224

Oddometer:
    Got it. I agree that it's much better not cutting into the harness if at all possible.

Thanks for sharing this!
    mikegc and dad2bike like this.
  9. dyg

dyg dyg it Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for the info. Will try to get the parts online and make the SIM - really appreciate the photos and tutorial! Could not do it without it. :clap
    Callisto224 and dad2bike like this.
  10. dyg

dyg dyg it Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear, did you solder the resistors into the 4 female ends of the plug? Also, the resistor ends that went from 3 to 4 and 2 to 3 - were they soldered as well? (I assume so). Thanks...
  11. Callisto224

Oddometer:
    I don't think he soldered them "into" the plug, but he did solder all the resistors together. He uses shrink wrap to hold the SIM in place.
    dad2bike likes this.
  12. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:
    Don't want to be Debbie Downer here but that's the part I don't like. The resistor ends just shoved in the plug are raw metal and subject to oxidation. Not a very strong connection that may later become intermittent. I know the OP does not like cutting into the harness but for me if this "fix" is to stay there long term I would solder it to the wires.
  13. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Resistors are tinned leads much the same as the connector pins themselves. So corrosion possibility would be equal. Soldering to the wires or plug is surely a fix as well. However the goal was to be a simple SIM that could be unplugged and go right back onto the existing strip plug at any time.
  14. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    The resistors are soldered together, They are NOT soldered to the plug. See post above. The last pic shows my final SIM sitting on the yellow case.

I'm used to working with small electronics. So Others finished product may well be much bigger. Be sure to get resistors with large enough leads. Using 1/8 or 1/4 watt resistors will cause problems dues to thin wire size.
  15. Callisto224

Oddometer:
    How about adding this to the plug?

[​IMG]
  16. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:
    I think it would help a lot!
  17. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I offered up but one solution to the issue. This one cost me under $5 to resolve.
    You can choose to do something else more expensive or cut and solder to your hearts desire.

Free choice is the name of the game when it comes to mods.

I now have more room in my tool pouch without the igniter zapper.
  18. Callisto224

Oddometer:
    I think you could make up a batch of 20-30 of those and sell them here for $14.95. I'd buy one just to have it in my tank bag until I can get to the dealer and have them replace the fuel strip (it usually takes me a few weeks to get there and the flashing yellow triangle is annoying as hell!). :D
    dad2bike likes this.
  19. Davis53

Davis53 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the fuel strip problem and would like to join this discussion.
  20. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Jump in the water's fine.

Sent from the House of the Rising Sun