Fuel strip fix?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by wjrudo, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Davis53

Davis53 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I want to get on of those float converter boxes from the Netherlands when that guy has it straighten out to send over to the USA.

That strip is driving me crazy, my dealer is over a hour away and I can't stand dealing with them.
  2. gardham67

gardham67 n00b

Oddometer:
    I fixed mine last week for £3.80[​IMG]. Bought a BBQ piezo switch on ebay. Connected two wires to it and zapped centre two pins of strip and hey presto it worked. At first I thought it hadn't as the light was still flashing. But after five minutes of leaving it with the ignition on it reset itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. motogon

motogon Like wind

Oddometer:
    Question is: for how long?
    dad2bike likes this.
  4. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Until the converter boxes are available, spend 5 bucks and do the dad2bike fix.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/fuel-strip-fix.844902/page-10#post-32123591
  5. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not yet. My fuel strip is still working, for now at least! :lol3
  7. BluByU

BluByU Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

OK folks, the fuel strip on my 08 GSA has been on and off for some time now. I have zapped it more than a time or two. Well I gave up E-mailed a friend across the pond if she could order me the converter http://hposkam.nl/en/product/bmw-vlotter-converter/ (as seller does not sell to the states). Well the converter showed up via my friend, including great instructions and color pics. I ordered the 2010 float. Everything was here and waitin on me to get it done.
    First order of business was running the tank almost empty, not a problem I can't have more than a gallon or so in the tank. Pulling the fuel pump assembly is real simple, just turned out to have a lot more fuel than I thought:bash, Yep pile of kitty litter and back on the job. Getting the strip to release from the tank took a good hard sudden pull. A quick snap of the new sending unit and reinstall the fuel pump assembly. Fuel cap and tank cover back on.
    Turned key on, same reading FULL TANK!
    OK F it I went for a ride, fuel gauge kept it there at full, DAM IT!
    Now home form work today, staring at the dash, I got it Lets pull the pump assembly set the float to it's lowest setting (let it hang) get out the GS911 and try a recal of the fuel strip, well thats what the process is called on the GS911 menu. Float dangling, laptop on, strip recalibrated, key off, and reassemble all the bits. Gauge reads full DAM! I sit there looking at the screen on disbelief, THEN IT HAPPENED THE GAUGE flipped to a bit more than half a tank THE AMOUNT OF FUEL IN THE TANK :wings:wings:wings

Long ride around town fuel gauge is accurate !! :rayof:rayof:rayof time for a :drink

In short the converter works, and I am a happy man
  8. motogon

motogon Like wind

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Does reserve light now work too? Please, run through few tanks of gas and report back on how it performs.
  9. KEVINSENC

KEVINSENC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did mine with the modified igniter, lasted half a tank and then went out for the third time. I am just gonna keep up with the mileage....
  10. Heloflights

Heloflights Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BluByU: I seem to remember that Henk said no calibration of the float system was required, just install and go. Clearly your experience may indicate otherwise, do you think the GS-911 strip calibration was required to get it working properly? or just coincidental?
  11. Burbo

Burbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The converter is available from HPOskam for USA shipment now.
  12. BluByU

Oddometer:
    Not 100% sure if it was needed, but it did seem to take the gauge from full to close to where I think the fuel level is.
    I will report back after I burn some fuel and fill back up. So far seems to be OK Got my fingers crossed
    Callisto224 likes this.
  13. Heloflights

Oddometer:
    Sounds good...keep us posted....I seem to remember Henk stating that due to the shape of the tank that the float system will not in read linear fashion when the tanks is full....i.e. it will read full until ~70 miles have elapsed and the level drops enough for the float to start working....I have ordered the same part for my 08 GSA and will report results as well...my 6th strip is currently reporting FULL with a range of 415 miles no matter how much gas is in the tank...better then the flashing yellow triangle of death but not by much...
  14. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good News / Bad News;

I installed the converter from HPoskam and a float sender on my 2008 R1200GSA today. It took two hours of working slowly. I have some extra swritches installed on my plastics so that made my job a bit more difficult than most. I rode over to the gas station and filled up and the guage seems to work perfect. The instructions were excellent. The device seems to be very well made. The float sender just snapped into the pump housing. Obviously this is the good news.

The bad news is that HPoskam shut down the business since it was distracting him from his day job. http://hposkam.nl/en/product/bmw-vlotter-converter/. I am thrilled I leapt on this the moment it was available in the US.
  15. Davis53

Davis53 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I got the drugs, I mean parts in the mail today. Guess I am one of the lucky ones.
    [​IMG]
    Callisto224 likes this.
  16. BluByU

Oddometer:
    Update: Have been riding to work all week and fuel gauge has gone down to 1 bar. Looks like I will stop by the fuel station on the way to work and fill up a gas can. THis way when the bike runs out of fuel I will know where empty is and be able to add fuel and get to a fuel station. Read as "trust with verification" :D
  17. Heloflights

Oddometer:
    BBU: Has the range to empty function been working?
  18. Heloflights

Oddometer:
    Completed my strip-to-float conversion today. When I started my tank contained about 2 gallons, the fuel gauge on my instrument cluster read "FULL" and my RANGE read "415 miles".

As mentioned by Carlisja the included instructions were very good. It is helpful to have then in PDF form so you can zoom in on some of the photos, especially the wire routing for the float, you want to take your time on this step. If you need the instructions in PDF form feel free to PM me with your email address and i will forward them along. I completely removed the pump assembly from the bike and performed the wire routing step on the bench. The whole process took 2.5 hours, and i was moving slowly.

After the whole mess was buttoned up I power up the ignition and after several minutes the gas gauge dropped down to 50%, success! ....but the range still reads 415 miles. I am planning to run the tank dry to see how the gauge works with low fuel levels and then top off to a full tank and see what happens. I did not use my GS-911 tool to re-calibrate the strip.
  19. BluByU

Oddometer:
    Woke up too late to ride to work today, took the diesel truck and woke up the neighbors
  20. Heloflights

Oddometer:
    Update...

Went for a quick ride this pm, started with 2 gals in the tank. Rode 1/2 mile and got the low fuel warning lamp, range dropped to 350 miles. Pulled over and topped off the tank, gauge read 50% full and the range started at 350 and as I rode around continued to drop, when I got home 10 miles later the gauge still read 50% full and the range was now reading 215 miles. Based on this goofiness I decided to siphon all of the gas out of the tank and using the GS-911 tool I went thru the fuel strip calibration process with the float hanging loose at the bottom of the tank. At the conclusion I powered up the ignition, gauge read empty, range read still 215 miles. I refilled the tank to brimming with the gas I had siphoned out, and went for a 10 mile ride. Within 1 mile fuel gauge read full, range popped back to 401 miles, all normal. As I continued to ride the range started to decrement mile by mile....all normal. I am out of hearing range from the bike and so I can safely say this is looking optimistic....