Fuel strip fix?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by wjrudo, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Hey Jimbo,

I thought the float was added in 2011?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Re-added is more accurate. The 2004-2006 bikes also had the float.
    Callisto224 and ultane like this.
  3. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. JB3

JB3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My third or fourth fuel strip died last week (installed 2/17) and I am tired of the service hassle - warrantee or not. I am reasonably confident they will go bad until the extended warrantee expires and BMW can walk away from the problem. So, I figured I had little to lose by trying to zap the fuel strip. I did the zap and the problem persisted, so I called the dealer to take the bike in for a replacement. On my way over dealer the fuel strip started working! Hallelujah!! Like others have suggested, I have the zapper in my tool kit in case/when it happens again. Thanks to the Einstein that figured this out.
    fcocca likes this.
  5. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In your son's case, Maybe. Most 2006 bikes have a fuel float. If so it will not work but you have nothing to lose in trying it. Since your symptoms match the fuel strip problem, give it a shot and see what happens. it is not guaranteed solution as Heloflights found out with is. It worked for me but not for him.
  6. Carlisja

Oddometer:
    The recall on the fuel level sensor is somewhat new. It may have not been in effect when the flange was done. Some of us are on our 4th or 5th free fuel strip and are just tired of having to go to the dealer every time.
    fcocca and DrLax like this.
  7. raywilson

raywilson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I filled my tank and rezapped the terminals. Turned on the key and while I was putting my tools away (5min) the gauge read full. Last time it took 15 min to register. Fingers crossed. My local dealer said it's covered for 12yrs- 2020. That's gotta be costing BMW a bit of cash for our repairs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  8. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you say, "fuel level sensor" do you mean fuel strip? If so, it's not a recall but a warranty extension and it's not new. They've been replacing mine under warranty for several years. In fact, I've never paid for a replacement on my 2009 and I believe I'm on my fifth (I've lost track, it might be my sixth!).

And while the "official" line is that it's a 12 year warranty, my dealer has told me BMW will cover them longer than that.
    fcocca likes this.
  9. Carlisja

Oddometer:
    Yes I mean the strip. New as in a couple of years. Definitely newer than the pump flange. New is relative when discussing a 10 year old bike with 90,000 miles on it.
  10. Callisto224

Oddometer:
    Not sure why you think this but the problem with the strips is older than the pump flange. I had a few replaced before the flange recall came out.
  11. OzRider64

OzRider64 Friggen slow Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    I have a 2010 cam head GS, manufactured in July 2010.
    It has the float system.
    ultane likes this.
  12. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    OzRider64 likes this.
  13. OzRider64

OzRider64 Friggen slow Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't be costing BM much at all.
    The warranty for fuel strips is only related to the good ol US of A.
    Anywhere else in the world we have to pay for it.
  14. Bteddy1

Bteddy1 n00b

Oddometer:
    I had mine replaced at no cost from my local BMW dealer It's a no cost to customer Fix
  15. Carlisja

Oddometer:

UPDATE:
    Ok. "Drop like a stone" is an understatement.

At 239 miles elapsed the range was 291 miles and the third bar disappeared.

Parked it for dinner and when I started back up 4 more bars disappeared with 251 elapsed miles and the range quickly dropped to 230.

Plan to ride to 300 miles before stopping for fuel. Will see what happens.
  16. Carlisja

Oddometer:
    On Jan 8th 2014, BMW Motorrad USA notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of its intent to recall more than 50,000 motorcycles because they may develop cracks in the fuel pump mounting flange causing a fuel leak.

In June 2014 BMW Motorrad USA published service information bulletin 16 002 14 (017) to it's dealerships. Subject: Film Type Fuel Level Sender “Fuel Strip”: Warranty Extension to 12 years without. Mileage Limitation. It was made public later. Not all dealers imediately honored the bulletin. Unlike a recall which is public record, it was up to the customer to ask for the warranty to be honored at first.

Not sure any of this is important or why anyone is questioning it but since the question was raised........... I am sure there were flange leaks identified and fixed before the recall came out too.
  17. Carlisja

Oddometer:
    I just put 1,200 miles on the bike this weekend and the fuel gauge is still wrong. This evening I re-installed the strip then calibrated it, then reinstalled the float. We will see how that turns out.

The theory I am working on is that the strip calibration does something with the strip to register the high and low sensor range. The float is invariable. High and low will always be the same voltage reading. therefore I think my problem is that the computer is looking for a very narrow range of sensing. It could be all bunk but I decided to try it.
  18. BluByU

BluByU Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So far my fuel gauge seems to be as accurate as the strip was when it was working , , read that as stays full for a long time than drops a bit then a lot of miles later is drops a few lines. I have not run it empty since first try, but I have a week or riding planned for next week.
  19. Callisto224

Oddometer:
    Edit: so you have to install the old strip, calibrate it, then remove it and install the float?
  20. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember reading they changed back to the float mid production year 2010. I had an early 2010 GSA and was hoping I could maybe swap parts to get a float as there was no cure in sight from BMW to fix the problem.

As for the long warranty, they would be ok giving you a 1 year warranty as I doubt anyone will make a full year before the strip goes again. Personally I would have given up on BMW and replacing it as you never can trust it, who knows when it will go again. Could be a week, could be a few months, the only thing you do know is it will die on you.
    Callisto224 likes this.