Fuel strip fix?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by wjrudo, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you trying to calibrate a new fuel strip?

Is it outside of the tank and dry?
  2. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:

Replacement withOUT calibration is the approach that finally seemed to permanently fix the dying strip problem on my 2005 K1200s. After having two strips die on me in as many years, Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg put in a new strip (again under warranty) and didn't run the calibration. The tech told me they'd started to suspect the calibration procedure was leading to premature failure. The strip then worked for several years without issue, and was still working when I sold the bike last year.

The tech also said the reading would correct over time as long as I ran the tank reasonably close to empty and filled it up all the way consistently for a few tanks. Not sure if that worked perfectly, but I can say that the fuel gauge was accurate enough for practical purposes without calibration.
    Chaostrophy and ultane like this.
  3. jean6

jean6 n00b

Oddometer:
  4. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I bought a new GS ADV float to use on my tank. The sender is the same as the GS unit but with a longer arm with different bends. I'm going to replicate the arm from the ADV sender.
    When I'm done with this and confirm it works I'll have a Float sender than will be available for somebody else with either GS or ADV arm.
    I got the OBDLink LX and adapter cable in to do the software stuff.
    Then I looked in my drawer. I already had a OBDLink MX from someplace else. I guess I'll have that for sale as well.
    interactive3 likes this.
  6. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I can confirm this does work.
    Comments:
    Doing the pin wiring is not for the faint of heart.
    I happen to have a GS fuel pump in my GSA tank. So the GSA sender didn't have a place to snap in. So I've made a temporary bracket to hold it.
    It takes the Motoscan Ultimate version to perform the coding. That's about $50 That I wasn't ready for.

I haven't been able to go on a trip with it yet.
    With my setup being a ADV tank on a GS I expect my mileages to be a bit off.
  7. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Can you do this with the GS-911WIFI or mist you purchase Motoscan.
  8. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I don't know if the 911 wifi can.
    Mine is the old 911 bluetooth. The coding is limited to metric/imperial on the cluster.
    If you have the 911 wifi take a look at the coding tab and see what you have. The Motoscan can set just about anything. However I didn't see TPMS on the list. I would so love to kill my tpms off.
  9. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried to install a float system from say a 2011 GSA, to a fuel strip tank from say a 2007-2010 GSA??
  10. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great to hear some solutions that work! Amazing that people can figure out ways around it but BMW just keeps pushing out the same defective strip rather then use their R&D department to make an easy replacement float for this. It can't be that hard for the guys who designed it all.
  11. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    That essentially what I did. 2009.
    If I had a GSA pump assembly (which I'm looking for now) the process would have been just as described.

BTW I have a leftover GS float sender and a arm (i copied the GSA arm) to make it a GSA float sender if somebody wants it to do this job. I also have the OBDLink LX extra as I already the MX and didn't know it.
    Only need to get elsewhere the BMW cable and the Motscan app.
    ultane likes this.
  12. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    It's all about the money. If they just have to replace strips for the complainers eventually there will be less bikes to be resolved. If they put out about the float fix then absolutely every owner would be bringing in their bikes to be retrofit. That's a ton of bikes and cost. Now they are selling the floats for us that do the swap individually. So more money for them.
  13. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dibs
  14. markherman

markherman Louisianaman Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2008 GS is in for a fuel strip as I write this. Bike has less than 30,000 miles on it. Tech says new strip won't respond thinks ECU problem is in play. Key switch, etc., all check good. Bike has been in dealer's hands since early July but that's another story. Of course issue has been bumped up the line and all I hear is crickets. Anyone care to chime in.
  15. markherman

Oddometer:
    Can I just run the bike as is and ignore fuel strip/ECU issue?
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. Don't let them hold your bike hostage when you could be riding.
    Callisto224 and dad2bike like this.
  17. markherman

Oddometer:
    What follows is a direct quote from there service writer at the dealership. I deleted the service writer's name and title to protect him.

"I normally dont beat up on millennial's as I like their ideas of 4 day work week and being less money focused and all. In this case it's the wimp mentality of them thats hurting us. The tech ran into a little trouble and punted and wont work to solve the problem, as he's gone on to other jobs the are easy. This is allowed by mgmt for some reason beyond me. To me, once you get on a job you see it through to the end and when it gets going tough then you handle it. Techs are hard to come by in this industry so they get a pass but people like me are easy to find. This may be my last day as he had a 4:00 appointment to replace a speedo cable and he's gone somewhere and we all just twidlling thumbs and customer left obviously upset.
    I'm going to beg Max to help us out but at this point I bet you could fix this yourself quicker and with more enthusiasm than we've got working here and I apologize. "

I normally dont beat up on millennial's as I like their ideas of 4 day work week and being less money focused and all. In this case it's the wimp mentality of them thats hurting us. The tech ran into a little trouble and punted and wont work to solve the problem, as he's gone on to other jobs the are easy. This is allowed by mgmt for some reason beyond me. To me, once you get on a job you see it through to the end and when it gets going tough then you handle it. Techs are hard to come by in this industry so they get a pass but people like me are easy to find. This may be my last day as he had a 4:00 appointment to replace a speedo cable and he's gone somewhere and we all just twidlling thumbs and customer left obviously upset.

I'm going to beg Max to help us out but at this point I bet you could fix this yourself quicker and with more enthusiasm than we've got working here and I apologize.

M

[​IMG]
    Show quoted text
    --
    Mark Webster
    After-sales Liaison

[​IMG]
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    THIS, is why I beat up on dealer techs, and am a big proponent of doing it myself. Obviously warranty work puts you at their mercy, but it sure does suck!
    Carlisja likes this.
  19. markherman

Oddometer:
    I'm not done with this dealer. I'll be there tomorrow to have a face to face with the owner. Ready to move up the BMW line if that doesn't work. I've been known to talk lawyer talk when necessary. BMW built this problem. I PROMISE THEY WILL FIX IT!
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  20. motogon

motogon Like wind

Oddometer:
    My dealer changed fuel strip on my 2010 GSA 6 or 7 times. It takes little over hour. No problems, no charge ... I just got tired to go there every year.
    raywilson likes this.