Fuel strip fix?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by wjrudo, Nov 29, 2012.

1. TrojanSoldierZA

TrojanSoldierZA n00b

Oddometer:
    dad2bike, mikegc and Carlisja like this.
  2. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. leeo45

leeo45 Longtime Lurker

Oddometer:
    I am looking at going through this process. The fuel strip on my '07 just failed again and even if it is still under warranty it will not be soon. I am tired of this nonsense with the fuel strips.

Is it correct that I need an Android device to use the MotoScan app? (or a Windows CE handheld) I can stand the $50 for the app but not thrilled about paying for an Android device. Any idea what happens if you don't perform the code updates?
  4. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    The code update is changing what the ecu is looking for. No code change no work.
    Look at the motoscan site as to what different os it works on.
  5. leeo45

leeo45 Longtime Lurker

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That was my expectation on the coding; just hoped I was wrong.

I've been to the MotoScan sites, both U.S. and DE. The German site says no iOS and no Windows versions exist or are planned, only available for Android. The English Google site has a Windows CE version available. That difference was the reason I was asking the collective braintrust here in case I had missed something. I may just build one of the resistor bypass plugs to eliminate the warning lights and forget about the fuel gauge. The gauge has only worked about half the time in the last five years anyway.
  6. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Found a side benefit to ease pain of the cost of the motoscan.
    I'm now able to turn tpms off and on.
    There's a ton of other functions I haven't even snooped into yet.
  7. markherman

markherman Louisianaman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question: My GS is still not done although the service assistant reports that the tech has been told to button it up even though the strip fails to be recognized by the ECU. The sense is that the ECU and/or the ignition switch is not allowing adequate current to supply the strip. Question: shouldn't the diagnostic computer tell the tech what the problem is? Is it that definitive? Or, is the diagnostic computer that precise? Meaning it's the ECU or it's the ignition switch that has malfunctioned?
  8. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the past, getting a replacement fuel strip electronically updated - calibrated may have been the term - required a factory GT1 tool.

I'm not aware that a gs911 can substitute for the GT1 in this fule strip operation, but maybe that's possible.

Fuel strip installations have always required an experienced & patient tech. My bet is that is not whom your bike has been assigned to.

As for your specific, question re: ECU vs. ignition, you'd almost certainly need a GT1 to make that assessment, and that presumes that doing so is even possible.
  9. markherman

Oddometer:
    Is the GT1 the acronym 4 the BMW proprietary computer?
  10. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
    Technically yes, but I haven't heard of it referred by anything other than shorthand. The distinction is a bit semantic, and here's a pic from the car side of the business...

http://www.cardiagnostics.be/-now/GT1-MODIC-DIS.htm#BMW__GT1
  11. markherman

Oddometer:
    Online offering of GT1 is about $6000. I'm not spending that kind of $ but shouldn't BMW's in house diagnostic computer be able to perform this task?
  12. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
    All you'd likely get is the hardware, in uncertain condition, and the software would be an older ver. BMW isn't about to sell the software to individuals, and even if it did the cost would be prohibitive.

Your second question is better aimed at the dealership tech.; not the customer service guy, the parts guy, or salesman. They may know the answer, though that doesn't mean they'll share it.

There are multiple reasons & ways that fuel strips can fail. Proper repair & installation requires a careful, some would say meticulous, attention to detail - it's not as straightforward of plug & play as many pretend. Sadly, many a fuel strip replacement has been botched. That they ended up being so fragile & unreliable is why BMW flipped back to older, proven technology just a few years later. Progress ain't always what it's claimed to be.

I'm lucky that my own '06 fuel strip is still working; knock on wood, but many just accept them as flaky and use the odometer to gauge refill range requirements.
  13. markherman

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  14. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought the '06 GS had a float? I had an '06 GS and never had troubles now when I moved up to a '10 GSA early production year that is when I started having issues after the first year of ownership.
  15. lewisjr1

Oddometer:
    You may well be right. Maybe that's why my own bike's fuel gauge has yet to malfunction? Now it'll probably fail the next time that I ride the thing!
  16. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure I am. I always found the '06 range to be pretty accurate and dependable.
    lewisjr1 likes this.
  17. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The GS911 can do that. Find someone in your area that has one...
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It does. The float was replaced in 07 by the fuel strip.

By the way, some have had great success swapping out the strip, and NOT calibrating it. There is a theory, likely from this thread, that the calibration is part of the problem.
  19. markherman

Oddometer:
    Today's update: the diagnostic equipment finally recognized ECU. Strip came online and flashing triangle turned off. Fuel added to tank; manager test drove the GS for about 10 miles. Service manager cautiously optimistic. He said some time back this type of recognition problem cropped up and the diagnostic equipment couldn't read any ECU. Picking bike up tomorrow. You guys keep working on a fix with a conventional float setup. Hopefully you'll find a cure for this recurring problem. Thanks for all the advice.
  20. markherman

Oddometer:
    Most recent update: service manager/general manager/part owner called to say that after refueling and test driving the GS for about 10 miles the Yellow triangle vanished and the fuel gauge/ECU started working. He thinks the re-fueling triggered to process. I noticed that as I rode home the mileage to empty started to climb and the gauge started to rise and registered as "full" by the time I arrived home. Is this the re-learning process? Who knows? Obviously, the dealership hasn't figured out the fuel strip fix at all. Maybe it was luck, maybe not. Has anyone in this conversation had any experience with the HOPskam fix? It's the strip to float conversion. I think it's a route I'd like to explore given the uncertainty of the problematic fuel strip replacement.