Fuel strip fix?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by wjrudo, Nov 29, 2012.

1. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recall having some lag in display response to any fuel strip changes I had done in the past. Including the SIM fooler I put on.

My float conversion is working fine. Although I can't speak to the accuracy of the mileage etc as I'm on a GS with a GSA tank. I'm hoping that the ECU will learn about the longer range as I go along.
  2. markherman

markherman Louisianaman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where did you source or buy the float fix for your set-up?
  3. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ended up buying a new float. GSA floats are hard to come by. GS floats are plentiful.
    That said. I already had a GS float and before installing the GSA I fabricated a GSA arm that would easily swap into place. The sender is the same with just a longer float arm.
    Back a couple pages is the links to the process.
    It requires also getting Motoscan Ultimate app as well as the OBDLink LX and BMW adapter cable. (secondary benefit. I now can turn off my TPMS when I put my dirt wheels on)
    The pictures of the rewire of the ECU connector do not do justice for how difficult that is.
    I may be doing another of these for a friend. When I do I'll take some pictures to point out the finer points of the process.
  4. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
    Is this valid for K1200s &K1200r?
  5. FinlandThumper

FinlandThumper Sleepy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    As far as I know they used the same crap part in basically all the bikes in those years, so yes, it should work.
  6. Si1208

Si1208 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have to say, this forum is an absolute mine of information. My fuel gauge packed up after a refill yesterday after being fine for the 18 months and 15,000 km since I bought the bike. I had no idea that this was such a widespread issue until Google led me here! Long story short ... the zap method worked! I was sceptical when I first read about it, but the lighter in my kitchen was running out of gas anyway, so I thought it was worth a go. Interestingly, the resistance across pins 2 and 3 was only 3,300 ohms before zapping. 3 zaps later - 2,800 ohms, another 3 - 2,600, 3 more for luck - 2,480 - that'll do. Reconnect battery, fire it up, wait 90 seconds, et voila! (as they say around here). Cost = 0 €, time = 30 minutes to adapt the zapper and 10 minutes to fix. Result :clap:clap:clap. Time will tell how long it works for, but I have my custom zapper ready for the next time. If it gets to the point that zapping no longer works, or has to be done too often, I'll go down the resistor route - I always reset my trip meter anyway.

Thanks to all the contributors on here for saving me a chunk of euros that I can spend on more fuel :-)
    ultane and Callisto224 like this.
  7. markherman

markherman Louisianaman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, I see you are in France. See my pm and you'll understand.
  8. Auwerda

Auwerda n00b

Oddometer:
    Replaced my fuel strip by a float without reprogramming zfe but with a module between the float and bike's wiring. Video explains it all
    geewiz and ultane like this.