Fuel strip fix?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by wjrudo, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Thanks for the info. Now to just see if they changed (updated) the final drive.
  2. droffsite

droffsite n00b

Oddometer:
    Finally killed off my first tank yesterday. The range counter went from being extremely optimistic to more realistic over the course of the tank. I rode about 25 miles at a time between restarts; there did seem to be some degree of recalibrating that happened each time I got back on the bike.

After the refill, the range and gauge both seem to be working correctly. :clap
  3. GIORDINA

GIORDINA n00b

Oddometer:
    With the "zapping" technique my fuel gauge work again, thank you:clap:clap:clap.
    Greetings from Crete!!!
  4. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid Supporter

Oddometer:
    I received the recall letter.

Does anybody know whether the BMW dealer fix is a better solution than the zapping or do they simply replace the strip with another crappy strip?

:ear
  5. pizzaboy

pizzaboy retiring tomorrow Tomorrow arrived

Oddometer:
    Replace with crappy strip
  6. hyena

hyena Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They replace your crappy strip with another crappy strip. Six times in my case.
  7. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm on my 3rd crappy strip.

The only recall letter I received was for the fuel pump inlet crack. :huh
  8. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    I had my bike in for service a few weeks ago at the local BMW shop. Service writer noticed that I had paid for a fuel strip replacement a couple of years ago. He offered to contact BMW for me and see if they would reimburse me for the cost of that replacement. BMW did right by me and I ended up getting a check for ~$300.

2008 GSA

:clap
  9. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    BMW is now said to be covering the fuel strip under warranty for 12 years IIRC.
  10. bone13

bone13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can confirm that.
    We've already done a few at the dealership I work at.
    There is no "Recall" on the strips.
    BMW has only extended the warranty on them. If yours fails they just replace it.

However, DO GET THE FUEL PUMP RECALL if you havent yet. it is more than just an inspection. If your pump outlets are fine they install a reinforcement to prevent them from cracking and if they are cracked BMW replaces the entire pump assembly. It's not worth risking a fuel leak over your motor and a potential fire to put off getting it done!
  11. Jetmakerbrit

Jetmakerbrit Cranky Flier

Oddometer:
    After a few years of being unreliable, my 2008 GS fuel strip finally failed completely and the yellow triangle appeared. Bike stalled while pulling away a couple of times on way home (~50 mile commute). I later read something in Haynes manual suggesting there's a limp home mode that kicks in but I've not seen anyone else mention this on the forum. I hadn't bothered trying to fix sensor before due to cost and tripometer being sufficient information (got into the habit of resetting at fill up after walking for gas a couple of times). Last night, I performed a little piezoelectric surgery (on bike with 2/3 of a tank) and the sensor now appears to have been resuscitated. The multimeter reads ~3k ohms (crappy Harbor Frieght unit) and warning light cleared itself after a minute or so. Only time will tell how temporary the fix is. I had bought a replacement sensor but I guess I can return it now or just keep it on hand. Thanks to all those that posted informative and amusing messages on this thread before me.
  12. Beecher Snipes

Beecher Snipes Fool

Oddometer:
    You know there is a 12 year warranty on those things now.
  13. edge2edge

edge2edge Evil Scotsman

Oddometer:
    Great fix!!! Zapped my fuel strip and it is now working as it should, for how long I do not know. BMW Canada will not replace the fuel strip despite the fact that they are well aware of the problem. Frustrating as heck as the parts and labor would be over $500.00, so this described fix is the most cost effective ever for me!:deal

Thanks all!!!:D:evil

14. rms56

rms56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me what the white wire is attached to on the bbq starter?

15. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    Yup.
    Remove the plug.
    4 pins can be seen.
    Use the two middle ones in any order.
  16. rms56

rms56 Long timer

Oddometer:

Got that part ... Whats it attached to on the supply end?
  17. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there 2 wires coming from the bbq zapper? I think one is from the center connector and the second wire is from the "outer" connector (probably a ground wire).

Hope this helps!
  18. rms56

rms56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like a second wire has been added to connect to the second pin. Im not sure if its a ground or simply a method to zap both pins at the same time.
  19. BikerBill

BikerBill Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    I seem to recall that BMW will continue to replace faulty fuel strips for twelve years from date of manufacture. No charge. Got that info a few months ago. Mine works but when it quits the shop can fix it under warranty.
  20. rms56

rms56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Taking it to the shop friday