Fuel strip fix?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by wjrudo, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hardest part of this repair was converting a BBQ Grill lighter into a tool. Worked like a charm. Heck of a lot easier than taking time off of work or riding to sit in the dealership while they futz with it. This would have been my 4th one. The first was replaced in October 2014 with 12,000 miles on the bike. That one was replaced in June of 2016 with 70,000 miles on the bike. last night with 85,000 miles on the bike that one decided to quit working. This afternoon I spent half an hour modifying a BBQ Lighter, and 5 minutes fixing the bike. My fuel gauge went from empty to 9/10th in about 2 more minutes.

Fix fuel guage tool.jpg Fix fuel guage.jpg
  2. FinlandThumper

FinlandThumper Sleepy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Ok, so today bought a used RT and hell if I didn't get just a few miles down the road and the strip problem hit. When I reviewed the paperwork for the bike I noticed this has been fixed twice, mosr recently last June which was about 500 miles ago. This dealer is pretty reliable normally so I am a bit saddened by all this.

Needless to say I am thinking what to do.

The bike has a six month guarantee so I know I can get this fixed for no charge now, but the thing is, it's clear this is bound to happen again.

Is there a way to just disconnect the thing totally and just not have a fuel gauge, but with no blinking lights?

The other option I have is that here in finland, consumer protection laws allow me a full refund on the bike within 14 days provided no damage to the machine. If you were me would you consider this, knowing what you know now?

I am pretty bummed because I have wanted an RT for a long time, but honestly I am not interested in hauling this thing up to the dealer every 500 miles for sometning like this. Might as well just keep riding my old Dakar then.

Thoughts?
  3. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    bykemike likes this.
  4. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Doesn't someone sell a kit to retrofit a float into the bike by now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    First of all, don't rely on the fuel gauge. Reset your odometer each time you fill up.

Second, There's no rhyme or reason as to when or where the fuel strip will stop working. I've had them working for as long as 3 years and as short as 3 weeks.

Here in the US BMW covers the cost to replace them for 12 years (my dealer says longer). I get mine replaced each time because the dealer is only a few miles away and it's free.

You can try the grill lighter trick if you don't want to head to the dealer but personally, I'd get it fixed since you just bought the bike and it's still covered under warranty.
    mikegc likes this.
  6. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    ultane likes this.
  7. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    dad2bike likes this.
  8. FinlandThumper

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the advice. As an old dirt bike guy I only trust the trip odometer anyway so that's no problem. Actually, to be honest, the bypass system of resistors in the long term would be fine for me, just to turn the dumb lights off. I Don't really need the gauge and gas stations are pretty close together here. I normally stop every 250-300km anyway.

I am going to talk to the dealer tomorrow about it and see about getting it taken care of. Maybe I will be lucky and this one will last a while.

If it doesn't maybe I try something else. In every other way this is the bike I have been waiting for so let's see.

I wonder if that float conversion kit works on the RT...?
  9. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    just got rid of the 2007 GSA (replaced the strip 4 times)
    now I have the scrambler... no fuel gauge, just the reserve light. :clap that's all I need.
  10. FinlandThumper

Oddometer:
    So if I inderstand this correctly (I am not very solid with electrics) I could get a 1 mega-ohm and a 2 kilo-ohm resistor, and then hook them up to the wiring harness, at the end of the plug that would normally connect to the junk strip unit! Interesting.
  11. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Not quite. Apparently the strip needs to still be connected on pins 1 & 4 for the ECU to recognize there is a strip in place.

In the thread I referenced there was mention of using a 39 ohm resistor to simulate that.
    I plan on working on a dongle type plug that could just go in the end of the the cable.
    I've done this type of dongle on my diesel for sims. This would be a Fuel strip sim.
  12. FinlandThumper

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification. If you do such a thing, I would be interested to see pictures of what you come up with.

I also emailed that Dutch guy, whose site was linked above, to see if his product also fits RT models. Based on what I have seen, it should work for the GS, ADV, and RT models because the fuel pump assy is located in the same place and seems to be the same setup. The ADV just has the extra second pump to get the last bit of fuel over to the LHS but the main assembly seems to be the same. Or at least that's how I saw it in the Haynes manual but I admit I habe only actually owned this bike for a whopping 12 hours so maybe I am wrong! I kind of like the idea of having a fix that involves an upgraded part altogether.
    dad2bike likes this.
  13. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I will for sure.
    That second pump is a mechanical pump. It is driven by the released fluid from the pressure regulator. It feeds to the "jet" pump. Kind of a hydraulic turbo.

I'm very interested in that converter as well. I have a float level I could pop in at any time.
    FinlandThumper likes this.
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. FinlandThumper

Oddometer:
    If I get a response from him related to the R-RT question I sent regarding whether the fix is compatible with my bike, and if it is I will see about ordering this fix if the dealer repair I do fails. Let's see how he responds. In the event that I do this perhaps I could order some up for you guys and we can do this under the radar.

Jim, do you know if the R-RT has the same fuel strip/pump assy as the GS and GS-ADV models? Seems to me that this aspect should be identical but your wisdom would be appreciated.
  16. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^

I'm not Jim but the part numbers for both GS & RT hexheads, '05-'09 are the same: 16147675547.

Mike
    FinlandThumper and JimVonBaden like this.
  17. Paul J Statham

Paul J Statham Sign Maker

Oddometer:
    I have had this problem also on my 07 GSA. i bought one new strip for $175.00 . Put it in and it worked fine. Then it went again . So I tried the BBQ zap method. I worked like a charm. i have had to do it several times in the last 5 years.
    Some times it takes two or three attempts. i usually do it with a full tank of gas. I had to do it this weekend it took two tries but working now. for those worried about the big bang . As it has been explained before, you have to have a correct mixture of Gas fumes and oxygen for that to happen. That will not occur in a closed untalented fuel tanks. It only happens on A Team reruns or McGivier. Have fun
    Good luck
    Paul
    gardham67 likes this.
  18. Paul J Statham

Paul J Statham Sign Maker

Oddometer:
    This was supposed to say a "Closed un ventilated Fuel Tanks" Not untalented fuel tanks. the only untalented one is my spelling.
    LOL
    jandro, Callisto224 and dad2bike like this.
  19. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:
    If some sort of group buy of the floats from overseas were to happen I would be interested. It seems to me to be the best long term solution to the problem.
    I doubt we will ever see BMW offer up something like that as a warranty fix.
    gardham67 likes this.
  20. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Sure enough... We start talking about the fuel strip and mine decides out wants attention. It flashed alarm twice so far today. I bought a bunch of resistors yesterday for the SIM. I guess I better get to work.

Sent from the House of the Rising Sun