Fuel strip spoof results

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by bykemike, Jan 28, 2015.

1. bykemike

bykemike "ready to navigate" Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. gundrted

gundrted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to say that is super easy, but why wouldn't you have the fuel strip replaced free under the new 12 year warranty that came last year because of all the failing strips.
  3. bykemike

Oddometer:
    Between my 07 and my 09 I have lost 4 strips, and they just don't always stop working, they give false readings sometimes.

Consequently I drive off my odometer, always.

For me, this approach makes the most sense.

In the spoof document package I have included the letter from
    BMW saying the strips are covered until 2018 (I believe) in case the next guy wants to go that way.

Oh, and if BMW came out and said the fuel strip has been fixed and will never fail again I would be all over it.
  4. drussdog

drussdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same problem here with my 2010, but BMW aussie land does not replace the unit.

So i either have to try one of these DIY repairs or pay $300 to have it fixed.

Typical of companies in our market,
  5. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Druss,

You have a 2010 GS or GSA?
    Mine is faultless and covered 40 000km since new, 2010 GS.
  6. TXjames

TXjames High Sider

Oddometer:
    Great to hear others benefiting from this discovery. Spoofing the strip provided a lot of frustration for a while. Until we stumbled into the bias voltage. Adding the meg ohm resistor is the real trick here.

[​IMG]

EDIT from PM with OP:
    Pins 1 & 4 on the tank connector are for the strip heater. Leave those connected and completely disconnect pins 2 & 3 which are for the strip itself. Then connect pins 2 & 3 with a 2k ohm resistor. This is the resistance required to indicate a full tank of fuel on my bike. I believe others have reported that 2k ohms wasn't correct for their machines. This is a calibrated value based on the fuel strip itself so you may need to experiment with that resistance using a potentiometer.

The strip also requires a bias voltage which is the reason for the 1M ohm resistor. Tap pin 4 with the 1M ohm resistor and tie it to pin 3. This provides the small amount of voltage necessary for the strip reading to work. The bike will NOT read the 2k strip value without this
  7. lkchris

lkchris Albuquerque

Oddometer:
    You don't suppose the 12-year warranty is intended to cover replacing them over and over, do you?

They think they (the supplier) have fixed it.
  8. bykemike

Oddometer:
    I am not so sure about that, it appears they just fail again.

If they had it licked I don't believe they would have gone to floats in the newer bikes.

This is my understanding of the situation.

In the warranty paperwork sent to me it says "we recommend that you reset your odometer each time you fuel as a secondary indicator of appropriate distance to refuel"

ever see that with a car?
  9. drussdog

drussdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GSA, i have 45k on it, bought it 6 months ago with the problem.
  10. WOLVERINE

WOLVERINE Keep her pinned!

Oddometer:
    In Canada it isn't covered to my knowledge, at least I haven't received a letter but when mine acted up over the last year or so I zapped it a couple of times, it came around but the latest thing it's been doing is reading an erratic level all over the scale and I know I have at least 1/2 tank or more and it shows almost empty. Then coupled with stalling at an intersection when gearing down to 1st and pulling in the clutch to stop. I read here somewhere by another inmate ( I think it was JVB) to check for corrosion on the plug connectors which may cause an issue, so I jumped in and took the connectors off the fuel strip and pump controller. Didn't see anything obvious but I cleaned them up, put di-electric grease on them and reassembled. To my surprise, the fuel strip now works perfectly, and I mean perfectly, the bike hasn't stalled in the last 4-5 rides and I'm a happy camper. So, I guess Jim was right and the corrosion was messing with the signal. Worked for me and Many thanks to Jim for pointing me in the right direction! I think if anyone has the same issue should give this a try. Oh almost forgot, 63000kms, original strip!
  11. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did not have the problem till around 35,000 kms on my old 2010 GSA. Mid year for the 2010 GSA they moved away from the fuel strip, so it could be yours was built in the latter part of that year, or yours is due to stop working any time now.

I went through 4 strips in 2 1/2 years, well 3 really, I did not get the 4th replaced because I bought a new GSAW. As far as I know it is covered in Canada, I had it originally replaced inside the BMW warranty but was told it would be covered out of the warranty as this part got its own warranty.
  12. Scourge

Scourge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a good solution for turning off the triangle... but has anyone tried retrofitting floats from either a newer bike or one of the very similar pumps from the E30/E36/E46 chassis cars?
  13. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had asked my dealer about this, I would have paid money for a new tank or to fit in the float from the newer bikes into my 2010, they said it could not be done. I would be curious to know how many people are replacing their fuel strips under warranty every year and if in the long run it would be cheaper for BMW to create some retro fit for a float.
  14. cds247

cds247 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Standard dealership line. They only replace the parts the way the fatherland allows them to.

Try it out, let us know how it works. You could be breaking ground that will save us all untold money, time and frustration.

Tanks are the same (p/n 16 11 7 702 709), sealing ring is the same (p/n 16 11 6 760 285), the pump assembly is the same (p/n 16 14 7 705 376), the fuel pump electronics are the same (p/n 16 14 7 720 776).

The clusters are different though [p/n 62 62 11 7 718 196 ('06-09) versus 62 11 7 725 818 ('10-12)]. Is that related? What are the odds that the software is different?
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    They would have to create the interface to make it work, and IIRC the wiring is a bit different. Cheaper to plop in a $10 part for those that bother to complain.
  16. cds247

cds247 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool fix I meant to say, I've saved a link to this in case I need it in the future. Love the simplicity of it.
  17. RCU2WYO

RCU2WYO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's definitely an opportunity here.... First thing I ask at the dealerships when I look at the new bikes is - did they fix the gas strip?
  18. Rob Rideout

Rob Rideout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    they haven't fixed it. My 3rd new strip just failed on the 4th tank of gas since installation.
  19. cds247

cds247 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you get a chance, search Advrider, there is a trick with a piezo grill igniter that seems to fix the faulty strips for a lot of people. Well worth a try. If not, at least you have the 12 year replacement. A hassle, but lots of options.
  20. NJCapoNut

NJCapoNut Dirty Boy

Oddometer: