Fuji 2800 Z vs Olympus C-720 UZ

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Gravel Seeker, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    I'm seriuosly thinking about buying a digi cam now.
    I could've looked up the old thread and posted there, but this is more specific to two or three cameras, not everything out there.

I was originally thinking either the Fuji Finepix 2800 Zoom
    [​IMG]
    or the Nikon Coolpix 775
    [​IMG]

I've had a dialog with a camerastore today via email and he suggested I look at the Olympus C-720 Ultra Zoom aswell, because it had much better night shot possibilities than the others.
    [​IMG]
    The Olympus gets released next week over here, and I'm wondering if any of you can recomend either of these three. The Fuji and the Nikon are similar in price with the Fuji being about $15 cheaper. The Olympus is a bit more than the others, a good $100 more than the Nikon. Is it worth going the extra "mile" ? They also have the Olympus C-3020 Zoom at the same price as the C-720, but I think that's an older model.
    [​IMG]

I need a camera to take good pictures of MC trips. I also want to use it for everything else one would normally use a camera for; parties, holidays etc. I'm not a professional, so all the fancy schmancy bits will only confuse me.

The Fuji is is the best looking in my opinion. The C-720 comes next before the C-3020 with the Nikon rounding off the design awards.

So, a little help to push me in the right direction between these ?
    Anyone ? Buehler ?
  2. JUIJITSU

JUIJITSU FACTOTUM

Oddometer:
    I own an older model Fuji and it has been a flawless camera. It and most fuji camera'sare more geared for outdoor colors. It reproduces greens really nice. Fuji is a good company and supports their products well. I support a lot of olympus cameras at work and I can not speak too highly of them. Mostly software support issues and customer service is not helpful.

I own a GS and take my camera off road a lot and it holds up really well.

Good luck on your choice.
  3. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    If you're a casual user, I'd suggest getting a camera that's user friendly. I assume you know dpreview so you already know the image quality of each machine. My experience with the now ancient Olympus D400Z is that it takes really good pictures, especially for a 1.3 megapixel camera. But the menus are a pain.

So if you're not shooting every day, my suggestion is to make sure you get a camera that's easy for you to use. It will lower your frustration level and heighten your satisfaction level.

If you actually used each camera, I suspect that you'd have a hard time telling the difference in image quality between them. But I'll bet you wouldn't have any difficulty at all in knowing which was easiest to use.

FWIW
  4. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    I've always been partial to Fuji, but the reports of shortcomings when poor light has me a little worried. Granted, I will mostly use it outdoors and in daylight, but I'd wanna use it indoors and at night too sometimes.

Those are wise words my man. All the gizmos at the C-720 has me a little worried. I have a pentax oldfashion mirror camera now and I get very yellow pictures no matter what settings I use. Problem I believe is that I'm not familiar enough with the functions/results to operate that camera. I'm gonna go to a store and hassle the guy there for an hour or so 'till I decide (and then go home and order it online from Sweden:evil ).

Thanks guys .

If anyone has first hand experience with either the Fuji 2800 or the Olympus C-720. Please tell me if there's anything to be aware of.
    Thanks again.