Full-on knee braces vs. knee guards for dual sport riding

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 2thdrinOR, Aug 27, 2021.

1. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe that's because you basically grew up on dirt bikes, are an accomplished rider (and crasher), and have great leg strength? Forgot to add genetics...why is it that some athletes experience knee injuries and some don't? Genetic predisposition and conditioning and dumb luck...
    You have an opinion...heard, acknowledged, and appreciated.
  2. sharpie1

sharpie1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The nice thing about the Leatt C-Frame is it is supposed to break away before your femur. I had the C-Frames and sold them because they just didn't fit me well, I wish they did...
    dmitriy_adv and 2thdrinOR like this.
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just go buy the braces and get on with your life, you shouldn't need to get approval from the peanut gallery since you've already formed an opinion.
  4. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Wow, who put the burr up your butt?
    Huzband likes this.
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    You did!:lol3
  6. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics or didn't happen
    snglfin likes this.
  7. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    This. ^

At your age I’d rather have the soft tissue damage than the bone break. And good braces will transfer the energy and do just that. Unless you have a history of knee surgery procedures, I’d forgo the guards and consider neoprene knee supports (I use them instead) with a guard over the top.

Knee braces are still the same post-op tool as when the MX industry “discovered” them in the ‘90s. But marketing and lifestyle branding has made them almost mainstream. There are a lot of riders out there, both amateur and pro, in braces that really shouldn’t be. But you aren’t gonna get that toothpaste back into the tube.

And that’s just the opinion of a 25+ year industry vet. And remember, you paid nothing for it.
    ZoomerP and Strong Bad like this.
  8. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something like viscoelastic soft armor with a hard shell/guard on top? That's what I've been considering, since soft armor can lessen the transfer of total impact force over its surface, but isn't that great for a low speed tip onto pointy rocks.

I'm older, but in good health with no suspension problems, and I'm more likely to tip than get tossed at speed on a trail.
  9. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I personally wear one of these on each knee. I have both EVS and Moose. They are identical. The support to me is invaluable. As for guards, I don’t wear any in moto pants, and rely on the D3O in my street pants. But you wear what you’re comfortable with.
    4EF21246-60ED-4912-98B2-6A4812877D62.jpeg

Products like this are becoming popular. Should I ever desire more impact protection, I’d take a look at them.
    AB2BC288-9D27-4F0B-A328-5695225FA262.jpeg
    https://www.evs-sports.com/products/tp-199-knee-pad

Keep in mind that protection, and the type and amount, is a personal decision. So find what’s best for YOU.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  10. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. I started following this thread to see what was available, and just as you said, find what's best for me.

Currently, I have a pair of Klim Carlsbad OTB pants, with CE2 D30 soft armor. As I begin riding trails more, I can see the value in a pair of ITB pants and some type of hard shell armor actually attached to me, as opposed to the looser fit offered by armor pockets in pants. Those EVS guards are an interesting option.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  11. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was 43 and seeing him for an ankle injury. I was racing Vet A/B, if that really matters.
  12. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the record, at different times I've had a broken femur and a torn ACL. I'd take the ACL every time, if I had a choice. The femur break was life changing. The ACL was just a hassle.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  13. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input...lots of info and experience to consider. As a racer you have skills that riders like me, starting at this age, will never even remotely approach. Maybe my thinking is wrong...I am assuming that breaking a femur would usually involve a pretty violent get-off. I know from my own experience that a complete ACL rupture didn't take much of an event.
  14. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My femur break was due to contact with the front bumper of a little old lady's car whom didn't believe the stop sign applied to her.
  15. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    Ouch.

Buick level protection is difficult to attain.
  16. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    ZoomerP likes this.
  17. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
  18. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Let's go see what's over there Supporter

Oddometer:
    About me, started riding at 52, I am 57 now. I do dual sport events like LAB2V, and BDR type rides.

Starting out I did all sorts of "Knee Protection" on my desert rides, all levels of Fox gear, A* gear, Leatt stuff, just about everything. The most comfortable thru many "tests" was a really worn out pair of the most basic A*'s with the Velcro strap across the back.

Last year I was in my Dr Office for my annual talking about surfing and riding, and he suggested I try some actual knee braces (medical level). I have an HSA and most of the good models are approved actual medical devices. I tried a number of different brands and models and the POD's were just a perfect fit (for me). After 1 ride with them I was done with anything else, the comfort and protection is the best, and I forget I have them on. They feel natural when gripping the tank and only felt bulky under 1 pair of pants I had, all the rest were roomy enough.

A different way of looking at this discussion:

I do this riding stuff for fun, and I can afford to do it the way I consider "right". Very Good Boots, Helmet, and Chest/Back protection are requirements to ride with me, no bargain stuff there. Knee guards/braces are a personal thing, but the cost was worth it to me.

If the cost of "parts to play" requires this much thought then I would be afraid down the road compromises would be made that could cause real damage (I need to get 1 more ride in before I replace my brakes). I guess if cost was ever a limit in my chosen hobbies I would change hobbies. This is why I am not a hobby pilot, or vintage car racer, or cocaine user, way too much time spent on the "budgeting" aspect.
    2thdrinOR likes this.
  19. 2thdrinOR

Oddometer:
    PM sent...
  20. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't buy the idea that knee braces will break your femur. Does anyone actually have medical data to back up that claim? That's like saying wearing good boots will break your tibia or fibula.

I started wearing a CTI knee brace when riding or skiing after knee replacement surgery. Just like wearing a helmet, gloves, or boots, I wanted to protect the good surgeon's work.

The little bit of Velcro on the straps is going to give way before it breaks a big bone like a femur. A good quality knee brace will distribute the force of impact over a larger area than just the knee joint, which is the weak link.

Think about getting T-boned by a car running a stop sign and hitting your leg. Would you rather it happen while wearing a knee brace or without?

I know a knee brace saved my knee when I hit a hidden stump skiing at speed. I hit hard enough to break my ankle in a ski boot and my leg was deflected hard enough to put a strain on the knee joint but not injure it because I was wearing the brace.

Further, in a big slide the hard plastic of a knee brace is going to wear much longer than a little bit of foam padding.