Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    "It looks like a thaw is coming from our frigid weather." :jack Strange way to describe your current temps from someone who has lived in Maine. Have you looked at the weather just a few hundred miles north of you? :rofl
    Heatery likes this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Warm, cold, hot frigid, It's all relative and depends on what you are used to. I have been living in the South for 18 years now so my concept of cold has changed a bit from when I lived in Maine.
    Heatery and B10Dave like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I drove down to Max Motorsports today to drop of the like so they can check out the ABS. While I was there I checked out the showroom. This bike looks like it would be an absolute blast on twisty roads.

[​IMG]

It's a tiny bike but still comfortable. If I win the lottery............

I headed out again to catch the sunset.

The water level has gone down a bit as this was all flooded last weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same spot where I took sunset pics last weekend.

[​IMG]

I'll be heading out for the back roads of Tennessee tomorrow. I haven't decided which bike yet.
  4. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:

That's a good looking Husky and with those Pirelli Rally STRs... more like your speed the way you take the scooters off road...
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It's an awesome looking bike and would be an absolute blast. As much as I like it I'm thinking of something more dirt oriented like a KLX250. Until I make up my mind I'll just keep riding the KLR. It's only got around 43,000 miles on it. A friend has one with over 80,000 on his so mine should be good for a "few" more miles.
    Heatery likes this.
  6. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another good bike. I had a red 2009 KLX250S but never got to take it off-road. I mainly used it as a commuter bike to work and ended up trading it in for an Aprilia Mana 850...
    Heatery, The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  7. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    More beautiful pics Win! I'm sorry you are having issues with the Like, and hope I don't have the same with mine. Funny when this modern technology stuff has issues, you've got that trusty 'ol KLR to still get you out there!
    Heatery, The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Today was a perfect day to go for a ride. 5 other riders agreed and joined me. We met at Midway Cycles and hung out a bit until everyone showed up. Midway had this really cool Hawk GT for sale. The back end is from a VFR and the front end has also been upgraded from another bike.

[​IMG]

I gave a ride brief and repeated what I had posted, the probability that I would get us lost:D

So we headed off. I tend to not take that many pics when I am leading but I tried to get a few to show what the scenery was like. I didn't do a good job but:

[​IMG]

I did get us lost a couple of times and even took us down a dead end road:dunno

We still got to our lunch stop before we died of hunger.

[​IMG]

This building was built in the 1800s and saw various uses before becoming the restaurant it is today. The owner came out and talked to us and made sure we noticed the stor sign. Do you see anything wrong with the sign? Anyway, there is a story behind it and if you go there you will get to hear that story.

Did I mention it was a beautiful day?

[​IMG]

The inside of the place is interesting. I should have taken more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The food was good as was the company.

[​IMG]
    red bud, Skooter, Heatery and 9 others like this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After lunch we headed north then east on 129.

[​IMG]

Tn 129 is not as curvy as the more famous US 129 at Deal's Gap but still a nice ride.

[​IMG]

Just before Lynchburg 2 riders broke off and headed home.

Lynchburg:

[​IMG]

The Epitome of moto fashion:D

[​IMG]

Probably the best roads of the day were after Lynchburg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My pictures don't show it but there were plenty of curves:ricky

As I got near home the sunset really looked spectacular but by the time I found a good place to stop it had changed and was merely a nice sunset.

[​IMG]

Then I rode home. 217 miles was my total.

So why did I ride the KLR? I want to put new tires on for March Moto Madness so I figured I might as well wear these tires out.
    Skooter, Heatery, norton73 and 9 others like this.
  10. ultrasheen

ultrasheen vox nihili Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was a blast. Thanks for leading the ride. I hated to cut it short, but I needed some daylight for me and my boy.

Great meeting everyone! Of course, I have no idea who's from here or Motorcycle Alabama...
    Heatery and klaviator like this.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for coming along. I think most of the riders were from Motorcycle Alabama. I normally post my rides on both forums so I never know for sure where people found out about the ride as many of us are on both forums. I also did a ride report on MA: http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=3361.0

It's mostly the same as what I posted here but I did add a few things.
    Heatery likes this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Just a few random thoughts to add.

I had some fried pie for desert. It was the first time I had tried fried pie. It was good but I prefer regular pie. Next time there I'll try the home made ice cream.

The story behind the sign. I would never have noticed it if the owner hadn't mentioned it but Store is spelled stor on the sign. The guys wife painted the sign and just ran out of room to add an e. It was not something they intended on doing but now they are proud of their sign. The have hats made out that say Old Delina Country Stor. They have to specify to the company not to add an e. The companies spell checker will otherwise add that e.

There is another place I have been to with a similar story.

[​IMG]

When they first opened they made some signs on scrap pieces of wood. There wasn't a piece big enough to put Home Made pies so it became Ho-made pies.

Last, one of the great things about riding for me is the people I get to meet and ride with. Go to Perfect line and you will see all kinds of posts about how they hate riding in groups and all their bad experiences riding with other people, blah, blah, blah.
    That has never been my experience and it wasn't on this ride. This ride was much more enjoyable with the people I rode with than it would have been riding solo. I'm already looking forward to the next group ride:ricky:ricky
    Skooter, Heatery, black 8 and 2 others like this.
  13. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride for all in the first week of February ain't too shabby! :rayof
    Heatery, MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Still riding everyday but nothing worth posting about. Wednesday someone posted this link on another thread: https://tourandride.com/closeouts/k35n-monolock-case-35ltr-detail

It was a closeout on a Kappa (GIVI) top case and mount for 59 bucks. I decided to order it. I'm not sure what I'll use it for, maybe replace the small, cheap case on my KLR. For 59 bucks I'll find use for it. Since shipping was free I figured it would take a while but it came in this morning!

It's a nice looking case.

[​IMG]

It will hold my large modular helmet and overpants and still close!

[​IMG]

That's it for now, getting ready to go ride and keep my streak going.
    Skooter, Heatery, black 8 and 5 others like this.
  15. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lucky you...

I thought my bout with PMS was done after vacation but then this drama with the sink hole decides to rear it's ugly head... The maintenance crews finally got the road patched to allow traffic to flow again. I'll get out tomorrow finally and get some saddle time...
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I did make it out for a short ride, a little over 20 miles.

The flooding in Wheeler had gone down, This where the road ended the last few times I came here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be headed out in the morning to ride to the Vintage Club breakfast where someone will be giving a presentation on motorcycle photography. Forecast temperature for the morning will be an "invigorating" 29 degrees:D
  17. black 8

black 8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope you got heated gear klav...
    Heatery likes this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I had my battery powered electric gloves on this morning as I rode to breakfast. It was 29 degrees as forecast. I was only 22 miles and the Majesty is like a mini Gold Wing and provides very good wind protection so I didn't really get cold. When I arrived there were already 3 or 4 other bikes in the parking lot.

The Blue Plate cafe has a separate room that can be used for meetings like this one. They had wheeled in a motorcycle and a bunch of professional photography equipment.

[​IMG]

Some of the presentation was over my head but overall I enjoyed it and I think I got something out of it.

[​IMG]

As always it was also fun talking with the other riders.

Afterwards I rode to Cycle Gear and picked up some crush washers. I've been doing a lot of oil changes and have been using a lot of crush washers lately.

Then I stopped at Freedom Powersports. I sat on the Monkey Bike again, browsed a bit then left. I decided to take the back way over to Decatur. I snapped a few pics.

[​IMG]

It was still around 40 degrees.

[​IMG]

I stopped at All Sport. They didn't have a Green KLX250 which may be my next new bike:hmmmmm I guess I'll just ride the KLR a bit longer.

I rode around 85 miles which was more than enough in the cold weather.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I read the other day that the weather forecasters confirmed an El Nino weather pattern for this year and that we could expect wetter weather in the Southeast. Well NO SHIT SHERLOCK. This has been the wettest winter I can remember. But it has also been pretty mild so I have been able to ride nearly every day this year. I have only missed 2 days this year and have ridden at least 30 straight days. It's great not having to deal with PMS:rayof

I took the KLR out to Wheeler yesterday and was able to ride a lot of roads that have been closed. They open a bunch of gates Feb 10th. Many of the roads in wheeler were graveled last year so they don't get very muddy. Good thing because the front tire on my KLR is worn out.

[​IMG]

It looked like today might be one of those rare days I don't get out and ride with rain forecast for all day. There was a break in the rain so I jumped on the S8 and went riding:ricky I was a gloomy day and started sprinkling a bit during my ride but it was still good getting some wind therapy. I only took one pic.

[​IMG]

When I bought this scooter 8+ years ago I never expected to put this many miles on it!

That's it for now. No exciting rides planned for the near future but I hope to keep my riding streak going. I am planning on going to March Moto Madness the last weekend in March and Dual Sporting the Free State the first weekend in April.
    B10Dave, simi.d, Stubanger and 4 others like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Post # 2000 for this thread. Just like my S8 I guess I didn't expect this thread to keep going this long either!
    B10Dave, simi.d, Stubanger and 7 others like this.