Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :wings:super
    don't stop now! keep it coming
    CMS, The Virginian, Heatery and 3 others like this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I rode to work last night I knew there was a chance of rain for the ride home this morning. I got a little more than I bargained for. There was sleet coming down and my scooter had about a quarter inch of ice on it. I decided to ride home anyway and the roads where still clear. At 35 degrees it wasn't all that cold.
    Heatery likes this.
  3. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2000+ posts. Why replace a good thing just because its long in the tooth. :)
    Heatery likes this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I plan on keeping this thread going, probably as long as I continue to ride. When I started this thread I just planned on documenting my experiences on my Super 8. Then I started putting most of my other riding in here as well. I kept my Super 8 longer than expected and now with my new Like the thread title still fits.

Speaking of the Like, it's still down at Max Motorsports. The tech down there was able to go out and experience the ABS problem for himself. I was a bit concerned with that since it was an intermittent problem. I think he's waiting on kymco. I'll call him in the next day or two for an update.
    CMS, The Virginian, Heatery and 6 others like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The perfect video for today......and yesterday....and tomorrow.

Heatery likes this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Today looks like it will be an all day rain but it's just a light rain now so I geared up and headed out to keep my streak going. I wouldn't want to get PMS and also I wanted to see how bad the flooding in the area was. I rode down to the Tennessee river.

[​IMG]

See that sign just right of and a ways past my bike?

[​IMG]

I wonder if all this water is messing up the water pumping station?

[​IMG]

That whole area around the pumping station is a parking lot for the boat launch ramp that is now more suitable as a submarine docking station:eek7

I don't live too far from the water but I figure the river would have to rise at least another 10 feet, probably more, before I have to worry about my house flooding. I'm not in a flood zone but I got flood insurance anyway.

It looks like we will get a break in the weather on Sunday so I should be able to get in a decent ride then.
  7. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Looks like all that rain we received is moving east... we are starting to dry up in SoCal but Huntsville forecast looks like rain in the coming weeks...

BTW, this was yesterday afternoon outside my garage... been in SoCal on/off since '94 and this is the first time I've seen hail in Oceanside...

IMG_0997.jpg
  8. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    yelp

[​IMG]
    The Virginian, Heatery and klaviator like this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    There was a break in the monsoon weather this morning so I jumped on the KLR and rode over to Wheeler. I was expecting some flooding and I was right. I rode over this flooded section of road.

[​IMG]

I decided to turn around at this next one.

[​IMG]

So I went down another road that I have never seen flooded before.

A few wet spots were no big deal.

[​IMG]

I didn't want to chance this so I turned around again.

[​IMG]

With a set of worn out tires this didn't look like a good idea either.

[​IMG]

Another road that I have never seen flooded before.

[​IMG]

So I turned around again and took some paved roads to another part of Wheeler. It was a gloomy day but pretty warm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I expected this road to be flooded and it was.

[​IMG]

One more road. I could have crossed this but I would have just ended up turning around a bit further down the road.

[​IMG]

So I backtracked down a road I haven't ridden in years and saw something to remind me that this was Alabama.

[​IMG]

There is another round of heavy thunderstorms about to roll through so the flooding will get worse. I'm planning on heading to High Falls tomorrow. Hopefully I won't be blocked by any flooded roads on the way. I case anyone wants to join me details on the ride are here: http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=3408.0
  10. Heatery

Heatery Worry free by mile 3.

Oddometer:
    I wish Mr. Munch had your sense. At least you didnt try to drown your KLR.

Gretchen,
    The Virginian, B10Dave and klaviator like this.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After epic amounts of rain here in Alabama, last night it just stopped raining and this morning this strange bright thing appeared in the sky. People went outside, stared at the sky and wondered what it was:confused

I had prepared for this and planned a ride. It was last minute so I didn't expect a lot of other riders to join me but I wasn't going to waste a beautiful day so I was going even if it was by myself. I had set up a meeting time and place. I left early in case there was some flooding I had to deal with. Good thing I did as I had to turn around and re-route 3 times.

[​IMG]

Two other riders met me in New Hope. Both of them also had to re-route because of flooding.

Then it was time to mount up and head off to out destination.

[​IMG]

We stopped at the Natural Bridge on the way because one of the riders had never been there before.

[​IMG]

We had a good ride with no re-routes to our destination.

[​IMG]

The last two times I was here the falls were raging but today it was on another level.

[​IMG]

I hope the walking bridge supports are sturdy.

[​IMG]

The view from the bridge.

[​IMG]

Another shot of the falls.

[​IMG]

Then we headed back to Guntersville for lunch. Just before a nice section of curves we caught up to a couple of big trailers so we took a break. No blue water today, it was all brown.

[​IMG]
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After lunch at a Mexican place in Guntersville we headed towards Huntsville. I decided to do a detour to check out a place I had never been to before.

[​IMG]

This was the Guntersville lock and dam. I had been to it on the other side of the river but not this side. I expected the water flow over the dam to be more impressive but the water level on this side of the dam was so high that the water didn't have far to fall.

Soon it was time to mount up and head off. Normally this would be a simple evolution but leave it to the BMW guy to make it complicated.

[​IMG]

That would be @Frank smith. Who would have thunk that a month of rain would make the grass slippery:dunno

[​IMG]

It was so slick we had to push to get him out of there.

[​IMG]

A little souvenir to take home:D

[​IMG]

Later we detoured down a fun dead end road that has some nice curves. It dead ended sooner than I expected.

[​IMG]

There are several houses down this road. Without a high clearance vehicle they would be stuck. If the water had been a little deeper I don't know that even these trucks could have made it through.

It was great getting out and riding more than just around town. I ended up riding around 220 miles.
  13. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stop being such a KLRista and replace that tyre!
    Heatery, zookster and klaviator like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    But they are so expensive!!

:lol3:lol3

I'll be ordering a set of new Shinko 244s this week. Less than 100 bucks for a set with free shipping.
    CMS, Heatery, Stubanger and 3 others like this.
  15. Frank smith

Frank smith R1200GSA, WR250R, R80RT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spoon them on your self and save even more
    Heatery, ADK and klaviator like this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I ordered them today. I normally mount and balance them myself. I use the tire irons I carry on the bike just to keep in practice in case I get a flat out on the road.
    Heatery, sealsam, norton73 and 3 others like this.
  17. Frank smith

Oddometer:
    Speaking of which, I guess I should spoon some knobs on myself from the looks of my epic get off on the nice flat grass at the park yesterday. Talk about embarrassing, gee.
    Heatery, norton73, zookster and 3 others like this.
  18. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Naw, all those specatators were strangers. Real embarrassing is stalling your Harley at 2 mph and full steering lock exiting the parking garage at work, getting thrown off it like a rag doll, all in front of your co-workers leaving for the day. Kinda hard to brush that off and forget about it. 'Cause they won't let ya...
    Heatery, klaviator and Frank smith like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Yeah but you didn't have a "friend" take a picture and post it on the forums so everyone could see:lol3:lol3
    norton73 and Heatery like this.
  20. Frank smith

Oddometer:
    Thanks my friend, I’m now on the Internet in the infamous way.