Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered a set of Shinko 244s from Revzilla on Monday. Under 100 bucks with free shipping. They showed up Thursday. I changed the front tire today so I could head up into TN for a dual sport ride tomorrow. Details here: http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=3423.0

The front tire was easy to change and I checked the balance before removing the old weights. It was so close I didn't bother to re-balance it.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Since I had a new front tire and the back tire wasn't bald yet there was nothing to stop me from going riding Saturday morning. It was 42 degrees and gloomy as I hit the road just before 8 AM. From my house to Taft TN where we were meeting is a pretty boring ride. I was most of the way there and saw a picture opportunity so I turned off the road, parked the bike and shot a bunch of pics.

[​IMG]

A little while later I was in Taft. @Thinwater who was leading this ride and his wife Natalee joined me there as well as Randy on his CB500X.

[​IMG]

Natalee, who started riding in September, is all of five foot Oh and has to slide off the seat of her lowered CRF250 to just barely get one foot down.

[​IMG]

We headed off with Stephen in the lead. He took us down a mix of small rural and often poorly paved country roads as well as unpaved gravel/dirt roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the dirt roads were smooth and easy to ride........and some where not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Tennessee countryside is very hilly around here and has some curvy roads and nice views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dual sport or adventure bikes are more suitable for many of these paved roads than a street bike would be.

[​IMG]

We stopped for lunch at a restaurant on 64 near I-65. The food was good and the company was great but I don't remember the name of the place or think to take any pics.

Edit: The name of the restaurant was Sarge's Shack.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    More riding after lunch. I'm amazed that Stephen was able to keep the route straight as he never pulled out a map or used GPS. We were constantly turning on to another road.

[​IMG]

I didn't see any of this stuff inside the tunnel but my camera captured it.

[​IMG]

Since everyone had stopped on the other side I got another pic.

[​IMG]

Up to now we had been riding in TN but eventually we entered back into Alabama although I don't know exactly where that happened.

[​IMG]

We did some of the roads we did a month or so ago but in the opposite direction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last time all the creek crossings were very easy. This time they were much more challenging as all the rain and flooding we have had resulted in large piles of gravel, rocks and other debris being piled up on both sides of these streams.

[​IMG]

Pics don't really show the gravel buildups very well.

[​IMG]

Oops....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Phipsd, Macho Man2, norton73 and 10 others like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Some of these roads had become very rutted out from all the rain.

[​IMG]

My pics don't show how rutted they were....

[​IMG]

Keep mind that Natalee has been riding less than 6 months. She got back on the bike and kept riding!

[​IMG]

Mo creek crossings.

[​IMG]

This one had some deep mud after the crossing.

[​IMG]

This next pic shows how steep the gravel banks were.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got stuck a bit by all the rocks piled up here.

[​IMG]
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Some closeups of my fellow riders.

Randy:

[​IMG]

Stephen:

[​IMG]

Natalee:

[​IMG]

We stopped and took a break.

[​IMG]

Although you can barely see it in the pic above, there was a reason for picking this spot.

[​IMG]

One of the best things about riding for me has always been the great people I get to meet and ride with. This ride was no exception.

[​IMG]

After this we rode some more but I didn't get any more pics. We ended up in Elkmont where we stopped, said our goodbyes and then split up and headed home. I ended up riding 195 miles which was more than enough. I was pretty wiped out by the time I got home.

I can't wait to do it again:ricky:ricky:ricky

@Thinwater , thanks for setting up and leading this ride. I hope to ride with you more in the future. Natalee, great meeting you and I hope to see you on more rides in the future. Randy, if you see this, great riding with you again.
  6. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Nice dual sport ride klav... that looks "hella" fun with the multiple stream crossings... wish we had those here...

This reminds me that I've got to do some work on the KLR myself to get her ready for the upcoming riding season; replace the front and rear sprockets with a new chain. Also, I just recently ordered a few Butler G1 and BDR maps so I can actually plan routes on the go instead of just relying on the navi unit...
    Heatery, MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    klav... you guys OK over there with the tornadoes?
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    No tornadoes around me, at least not that I know of:dunno It was just a rainy crappy day yesterday. On top of that I came down with a cold and ended not going riding at all yesterday. That makes it three days this year I haven't ridden. Today will probably be 4:(
    Heatery, black 8 and MYUMPH like this.
  9. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Update on my Like. First a recap on the ABS issue. I took my Like down to Max Motorsports about a month ago to have them fix the ABS. The tech rode it and observed the same issue that I did. He asked Kymco for the proper cable to plug into the bike so he could troubleshoot. The Like150i needs a different cable than the older Kymcos. In the meantime he bleed the brakes and rode it again as well as riding another Like 150i from the showroom floor. After bleeding the brakes they worked just fine but I did tell him that it was an intermittent problem so he kept bugging Kymco for that cable.

I had some time today and it was one of the few recent days where it wasn't either raining or really cold so I drove the 110 miles to the dealer. My top box and mounting kit had arrived from GIVI. Mathew went ahead and mounted it even though I hadn't asked them to do that. He said the box was there and he had some time so:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it looks great on the scooter and even a bigger box would look OK if you really wanted the storage.

So I took it for a ride of about 40 Miles. The first 15 or so miles there were no issues with the brakes. Then the front ABS actuated a few times when it shouldn't, just like before. Most of the time though it still worked fine. About the last 5 or so miles it started malfunctioning close to half the time. So I drove home without it. They did tell me that if I called Kymco directly it might get some attention and speed things up so I'll be doing that.

I did have a nice ride. I just went out and wandered and ended up on a real nice twisty road:ricky:ricky For those of you familiar with the Birmingham area it was 331 / Firetower road.

I stopped once to take some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This coming weekend doesn't look good for riding but the following weekend does. Of course that could easily change as I don't have a lot of faith in the weather forecasters, especially that far out. I would like to get back up into Tennessee on my KLR.
  10. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do love that like's red seat.....
    Ha and need to visit TN on the DS soon...
    Heatery and klaviator like this.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I rode my KLR up into Tennessee again today. Stopped for a pic at a different bridge than last time.

[​IMG]

Then I met up with @Thinwater in Taft. My goal on this ride was to wander around and learn some of the roads in the area. Thinwater knows these roads but he followed me and occasionally offered advice at intersections. Most of the ride ended up on paved roads but these roads were often narrow, rough and covered with gravel. A dual sport or adventure bike is much better suited for these roads than a street bike.

[​IMG]

We did get on some gravel/dirt roads, some steep hills, tight curves and rode through some nice scenery. I didn't take any more pics until our lunch stop.

[​IMG]

Thinwater hadn't been here before. This time I remembered to take some pics of the inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lot's of interesting stuff in here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shortly after I took these pics a large group showed up. We ate, talked some and went back outside where there were some interesting cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinwater stopped to adjust his gloves just across the street and I thought it would make a good pic.

[​IMG]

We headed west on Delina Rd. It's a nice curvy road that would be fun on a street bike. Eventually we turned off on a dirt road. This was new to both of us.

[​IMG]

Looking at google maps just now I can't figure out where we went.

Mo Paved roads.

[​IMG]

Eventually we ended up somewhere where we knew where we were. We rode until we got back to Taft where we stopped, talked a few minutes and then headed for home. I only rode a total of 142 miles but it was a good day. I guess I'm getting old.:gerg That short of a ride wouldn't have satisfied me 20 years ago.

I expect to get out again tomorrow but have no idea where:dunno
  12. black 8

Oddometer:
    Wait until after you retire...
    Macho Man2, B10Dave and klaviator like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Only 18 more nights at work:rayof
    Heatery, Thinwater, norton73 and 9 others like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Due to a misunderstanding I ended up in Tennessee riding some goat trails:eek7

Here's what happened. There was a misunderstanding by @zookster about the Saturday ride in TN. He thought I meant Sunday. I saw his post after i got back on Saturday. So one thing led to another and another ride was planned for Sunday. Before I knew it two more riders from the Birmingham are were also coming up. So it looked like we would have a good group for a ride:wings Details here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/north-alabama-riders.1092367/page-41#post-37199782

The question now was: Without @Thinwater along to bail me out when I got lost, how badly would we get lost? None of these other riders knew the area.

We met in Taft at 11. zookster was on a DR650, @kwb377 on an Africa Twin and Speedfire (on the MA forum) on a triumph 1200.

We headed off taking a different route than Saturday. We rode some nice paved and gravel roads. Then it was time for the toughest road of the day, Vanzant road. officially it's a road. In reality it starts as a badly rutted hill climb before turning into a nice gravel road.

[​IMG]

We rode a mix of fun gravel and poorly paved roads.

[​IMG]

I wonder if the cows in Tennessee are as happy as California cows:hmmmmm

:D

[​IMG]

This area has some real steep hills and tight hairpin curves. We picked one for a photo shoot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Lunch was at the Old Delina Country Stor again.

[​IMG]

I am very lucky to have great people to ride with.

[​IMG]

Some profound wisdom on the corner of the menu:

[​IMG]

As we were paying our bills the Cashier mentioned that she used to ride and recommended a nearby road. Since I had no real plan other than to "wander around" I decided to check out that road.

I did take a pic of "downtown" Delina before we left.

[​IMG]
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    From Delina we rode North to 129, west on 129 and north on 272 which was the road the cashier told up about. These three roads would be fun on any kind of bike. We stopped for gas in Lewisburg then headed back down 272. Since we were on DS/ADV bikes we turned off on a small side road. We ended up on some narrow paved roads through some seriously rugged countryside. Lots of curves and steep hills made for some scenic and fun riding. I took some pics but generally only on the easier parts. None of my pics really captured how steep and curvy these roads were.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually we ended up back on 272, then 129 west. We turned down another side road. This road soon turned into a very narrow, bumpy, rutted but paved "goat trail" It was a blast. I actually prefer roads like this to gravel roads. It was just as rough as many gravel roads but there wasn't any dust. Usually when roads get this narrow and poorly maintained it's a sign they won't go through. This one did.

I took this pic before the road really deteriorated.

[​IMG]

We ended up on Delina road which took us back here.

[​IMG]
  17. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    You are becoming a bit of a smart ass, and I like it! No offence intended
    Thinwater and klaviator like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After another break in Delina we rode some more.

[​IMG]

I actually knew where we were going:rayof

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually I missed some turns but the roads we ended up were a great ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ended up back in Taft after 110 miles of fun roads. That may not sound like much but the guys who rode up from Birmingham had a long ride to and from Taft. I ended up with 175 miles total.

Kevin, Shane and Dave, thanks for riding all the way from Birmingham. It was great riding with you and I hope to ride with you again soon.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    That looks like a nice spring ride through the countryside klav...:thumb
    B10Dave, MYUMPH and klaviator like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The DR650 on this ride ridden by @zookster is in really good shape. It blew me away to find out its an 07 model with just a "few" miles on it. He took this pic of the odometer on this ride.

[​IMG]