Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    Appearances can be deceiving.....:lol3

This is what it looked like up until last December.
    [​IMG]

A set of used white plastics and a Madstad windshield from the ADV Flea Market along with a 2018 white gas tank from @Nice Goat gave it a facelift!
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading down to Max Motorsports tomorrow to hopefully pick up the Like. The tech thinks he has it fixed. Kymco finally sent him the cable to plug in and read the ECU. That and he is using another identical bike to compare readings. He replaced both the front wheel speed sensor and magnetic hub that it reads. I'll take it for a long ride and make sure it's all good. If anyone is interested in meeting me for a ride in the Pelham area and/or for lunch, let me know. I expect to be there around 11.
    Heatery, black 8 and zookster like this.
  3. zookster

zookster Chupacabra

Oddometer:
    After morning chores, cutting grass, weed trimming etc, I'm going with a friend to look at a bike tomorrow (for him). Otherwise I would meet up with you in Pelham. Hope they have the Like fixed this time!
    Heatery and klaviator like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Going bike shopping. It's a rough job but someone has to do it:D Good luck.
    black 8 and zookster like this.
  5. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    cool store, I gotta go to some day
    klaviator likes this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I drove down to Max Motorsports in Pelham today. The traffic around Birmingham absolutely SUCKS! I'm glad I live in Huntsville although the traffic up here is getting worse.

The Tech at Max replaced the speed sensor and entire front wheel assembly on my scooter. I took it out for an extended ride to make sure the ABS problem was gone. I was joined by someone from the Motorcycle Alabama Forum. We ended up riding through some bad traffic before getting out into the countryside and then down some gravel roads to the Cayaba River. I got a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I brought the scooter back home. I'm hoping to start racking up some miles on it. I'll probably put the Super 8 up for sale soon.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    A while back I posted a pic of me on a Honda Monkey bike. If I were to buy a tiny motorcycle I would also have to look real hard at the Kymco Spade. Max had two of these on the showroom floor. 150cc and 5 speed vs 125cc/4 speed for the Monkey bike and $1,000 less.

[​IMG]
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I installed a new Shinko 244 on the rear of my KLR and put in a clean air filter. I'm now ready for March Moto Madness this coming weekend. I planned on going Thursday but something came up so I won't be leaving until early Friday morning.

Getting the old Shinko off was a royal PITA. I wouldn't want to do that on the side of the road. I think I'm going to invest in some kind of bead breaker.
    black 8 and Stubanger like this.
  9. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    Next time pm me I have a tire machine................................
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I may take you up on that for my street tires but the main reason I change my own Dual Sport tires is to keep in practice in case I need to do it out on a trail somewhere.
    zookster and black 8 like this.
  11. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    What kind of mileage did you get with the 244s?
    klaviator likes this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The 244s I just took off had around 5900 on the front and 4200 on the rear. They were both very worn out to the point that they were pretty marginal for any off road use. Most of the KLR riders I know around here use these tires. They are a true 50/50 tire, work reasonably well everywhere and you can normally get a set shipped to your door for under 100 bucks. The biggest drawback to these tires is that the rear is a real PITA to get off and put on. Kenda makes a similar tire (Kenda 270) which looks about the same but it's crap on the pavement.
    Heatery and black 8 like this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking this might be the way to go.

Skooter, norton73 and zookster like this.
  14. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got those and they work surpisingly well. On a road tire that's been on for 8-10k, it took some patience, but eventually it broke free.

There are other foldable contraptions that use a fulcrum style breaker, but these seem to work ok and can alse double as actual tire irons (for when space is at a premium carrying things on the bike)

I've got the steel ones and they are beefy. If I was carrying them around on the bike, I'd likely opt for the aluminum ones. Easier on the rims, too.
    norton73, Heatery and klaviator like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I got on the road before 6 AM Friday morning and headed for Tellico Plains. I got there around 10:30 and found Steve ( @Raptorman ) waiting for me. I set up camp and was soon ready to ride. Steve got there Thursday and had done some exploring. I decided to follow him on the roads he had found. The route took us by the March Moto Madness site so we stopped to get a pic. This pic only shows a small part of the entire site. Steve described this as "Woodstock with motorcycles":D

[​IMG]

Then it was time for some seriously twisty, hilly and super fun roads:ricky:ricky:ricky

I took some pics but at the pace Steve was setting I only got pics form the easy sections or while stopped.

A roadside waterfalls.

[​IMG]

Typical road:

[​IMG]

Despite the fact that Steve had just ridden these roads the day before, we soon got lost. Well, since we had gas in our tanks we weren't really lost:D

While stopped at an intersection trying to figure out where to go a local stopped and talked to us. He told us about a really scenic series of waterfalls so we decided to check it out. After a few miles of paved then gravel roads we came to a tree across the road. At the very left of the road the tree was on the ground and it looked like we could get over it. I joked that real riders would just wheelie over it.

The problem was we are old men, not "real riders"[​IMG]

So we wimped out and turned around. That turned out to be a good thing because we soon discovered we had been going the wrong way and we headed down the road that actually went to the falls:-)

We parked the bikes and headed for the falls.

[​IMG]

Good thing it's not a long hike because we weren't dressed for it.

[​IMG]

I took a ton of pics. Here's a few.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great Pics!
    klaviator likes this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    When we left the falls our plan was to go back out the way we came. We thought that's what we did but found ourselves on different roads:scratch How'd we do dat:dunno

No problem. There are no bad roads around there.

[​IMG]

Eventually Steve figured out where we were and we ended up in Reliance. We took a break there and ended up talking to a local rider.

[​IMG]

Just before we left he asked if I was on ADV. It turns out he knew who I was and had read some of my ride reports.

I guess I have become an internet star:lol3

We rode some more great roads and ended up in Tellico Plains where we had an early dinner at the Telicafe. We both had the country fried steak:dukegirl If you are looking for a place to eat in Tellico Plains I highly recommend the Tellicafe:thumb

Then it was back to the campground where we hung out, talked to some other campers and sat by the fire. There where a bunch of people there from Alabama. The campground was reasonably busy but nowhere near as crowded as I had expected.

[​IMG]
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was a beautiful Saturday morning.

[​IMG]

I had to take another pic:

[​IMG]

We had breakfast at CMTC then headed out for another ride. We were going to do Farr Gap, the gravohala, Tatum Gap and Porterfield Gap but changed our plans. With nasty weather on the way we decided that we would ride, eat dinner then pack up and head home before the weather came in. So we decided to do some local exploring. We started off the same way as on Friday.

[​IMG]

Then deviated from that route and did some great roads.

Did I mention there were some curves?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I went looking for a spot I had been to many years ago on a ride led by Cherokee Chuck at a KLR rally.

We found it. This spot looks down on the Hiwassee river from a few hundred feet up.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, the road to get here was a blast:ricky:ricky:ricky

Then we continued on. Beautiful scenery on a picture perfect day:rayof

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics. Looks like you had some really nice riding while you were there.
    klaviator likes this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We did some more exploring. We checked out a dead end road just to see where it went.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And down another road that turned out to be a dead end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]