Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Geoffers

Geoffers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What do you guys think about Alabama vs Georgia vs Tennessee for dual sport riding? My girlfriend wants to move to Huntsville Alabama. How does the riding in Alabama compare to the rest of the southern states?
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We took the dirt route up the backside of the mountain to the Chilhowee overlooks. I had only done that once and in the reverse direction. We had to just guess at a few forks in the road but we guessed correctly and eventually got there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we rode back up 30 until we turned off to try to find the powerhouse on the Hiwassee river. We found it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were on the opposite side of the river earlier.

[​IMG]
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Heading back from the powerhouse I went ahead and set up to get some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were cruising along on gravel roads when Steve noticed something down the mountain so we went and checked it out. I had seen pics of this old stuff before but this was my first time here in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a dual sport ride so I had to get a water crossing shot:D

[​IMG]

So what's this?

[​IMG]

I think maybe an old abandoned UFO/flying saucer landing site:hmmmmm

Yeah there's probably a more mundane explanation but I like the UFO landing site story better.

Another angle.

[​IMG]

Mo Gravel road riding.

[​IMG]

Mo fun paved road riding.

[​IMG]

Then we got on 68 and headed towards Tellico Plains. Steve decided to turn off on the road to Buck Bald. We never made it to Buck bald but turned down trail 82 instead. We rode the easy part back to 68.

[​IMG]

Then we rode back to the Tellicafe where we had another great dinner.:dukegirl
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Originally we were going to stay Saturday night and ride on Sunday but the weather forecast called for rain all night and cold and cloudy Sunday. We're to old for that S#%t so we packed up and headed home. Just before getting to Huntsville the skies opened up and it got real nasty. The next morning it was cold, gloomy and windy. I was glad I came home.

It was still a great weekend. I only rode around 100 miles Friday and 125 Saturday. That doesn't sound like much but it was plenty for me. These were all very high quality miles. No droning just to get somewhere. A lot of what we rode was new too both of us which made it more fun. Many of the paved roads were more technical that Deal's Gap. We also spent an lot of time on Gravel. We never made it to march Moto Madness except to ride by the site. Maybe someday I'll actually attend but I was glad to be out riding and enjoying the great roads and scenery in the area.

The KLR worked well on these roads but I'm looking forward to replacing it with a smaller, lighter bike. Probably that will be a KLX250.

Next weekend is Dual Sporting the Free State dual sport ride and camp in the Bankhead forest. The weather looks great for that. I may also get back up into TN sometime this week.

Link for this weekend's dual sport event: http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=3324.0
  5. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice report. Looks like you did some great riding, hope you remember the routes to show me some time in the future.

I think you'd like the KLX. Far better suspension than the XT350, and with the new ones being FI and electric start, easier to live with.

BTW, Harvie's (Springer) user name on ADV I believe is @Redclayrider
    Redclayrider and klaviator like this.
  6. norton73

Oddometer:

There's some good riding in north Alabama, and you'd be close to TN and north GA.

Check out http://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/
    Geoffers and klaviator like this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I remember some of the routes. Others I'm sure I'll get lost if I try to find them again. I'll try to set up another DS ride in the area before the end of the year.

I'm sure I'll like the KLX. I have to sell the KLR first. It will most likely go on the market soon.
    Heatery and norton73 like this.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    TN, GA, and NC all have better riding than Alabama but Huntsville is a great place to live and isn't too far from those states. Alabama does have good riding, better than many states, way better than Ms, La, or Fl. I moved here from Ga and don't regret it.
    Heatery, Geoffers and norton73 like this.
  9. tobyone

tobyone Adventurer

Oddometer:

I got one of these maps last year when I rode the unpaved Tellico area. Mostly forest roads but also some harder off road listed.

https://americaridesmaps.com/t/unpaved-road-maps
    Heatery, klaviator and norton73 like this.
  10. norton73

Oddometer:
    klaviator likes this.
  11. Redclayrider

Redclayrider Long time gone

Oddometer:
    You called? :lol3
    norton73 likes this.
  12. norton73

Oddometer:
    I didn't say it three times , did I?

:D
    Redclayrider likes this.
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have a bunch of maps. I hardly ever use them anymore. Where's the fun in knowing where you are? I just wander around lost. When I get home I pull up google maps and try to figure out where I was. On this ride I just followed Steve most of the time but he was only slightly less lost than I was:D
  14. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

just read tru this report

he covers all those
    klaviator likes this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Just to prove I was actually there, here's a couple of pics Steve took with me in them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Raptorman

Raptorman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't lost, I just didn't know where I was going until I got there. LOL! Great riding with you as always. Never a dull ride. Looking forward to riding Ala again this coming weekend. :-)
    Heatery and klaviator like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It was a beautiful day so I took the Like out for some exploring in TN. I want to learn the roads so I can lead some group rides in the area without getting us all lost:D. I studied Google maps and laid out a route to Delina. I figured after that I would do some exploring. I rode to Ardmore which I think will be a better meeting place than Taft. No problem getting to Ardmore but it didn't take me long to get lost after that. After backtracking a few times I eventually got back on track.

While "lost" I did get a few pics.

[​IMG]

I didn't realize it at the time but I caught a bird in flight in this next pic.

[​IMG]

Once back on track I tried a route that would hit some of the steep hills and hairpins from the last ride in the area without riding any gravel. I want to make the route street bike friendly. I managed to avoid gravel but some of the roads were pretty rough.

[​IMG]

Then I tried a new route to Delina. Unfortunately it had a couple of short sections of gravel road. The gravel was actually smoother than many of the paved roads but I now that gravel is a no go for many street riders.

[​IMG]

Delina RD.

[​IMG]

I had lunch at the Old Delina Stor again. I highly recommend the sweet potato fries:dukegirl

[​IMG]

Some pics of the back room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After lunch I took a few pics outside the stor.

[​IMG]

While I was doing that someone rode up on a RE Himalayan. At first I thought it might be @Thinwater but it wasn't. This guy just bought his bike from Allsport a couple of weeks ago and I remember seeing the picture on the Allsport FB page. It's a small world!

[​IMG]
    Ernbo6, Troncd, Skooter and 11 others like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I headed towards Lewisburg. It didn't take me long to get off on some back roads. OK, all the roads around here are back roads but I'm talking about the chip and seal, lane and a half wide, no centerline roads.

One thing about the roads around here is that there are a lot of tiny bridges and the roads often run along small streams.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I got to Lewisburg I decided that since I was on a scooter which is really designed for riding around town, I might as well ride around town a bit and see what was here. I got off the main drag and looked for the old part of town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Before leaving Lewisburg I filled up my tank. I have been consistently getting around 70 MPG on the Like but after riding aorund the back roads of TN at lower speeds I only needed 1.1 gal after 95 miles. That's 86 MPG:-)

Time for some more exploring of back roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did I mention there were a lot of streams and little bridges?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought the stone wall along the road was cool.

[​IMG]

People make a big deal about Fall colors but around here Spring colors can be nearly as good.

[​IMG]
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That's it for pictures. I ended up riding 236 miles which was my longest ride on the Like. My butt was getting sore towards the end of the ride but overall the Like is more comfortable than my Super 8. The ideal bike for riding the area I rode today is a dual sport or adventure bike but it was still fun on the like. Small 12" wheels means that I do feel the rough roads and sometimes I had to slow down a bit but that was OK. I was out exploring and enjoying the scenery. A small scooter is also the ideal bike to be on when you want to take a bunch of pics. I could do a U turn pretty much anywhere I wanted even on a steep hill or one lane road.

This weekend is Dualsporting the Free State so I'll be back on the KLR for that:ricky:ricky