Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:

Sorry but I just couldn't help it... :jack
    simi.d, Skooter and klaviator like this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Believe me, I don't take going to ludicrous speed lightly because I know how hazardous it can be. I normally stick to ridiculous speed:rofl

sealsam, Heatery, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The rear tire on my Like was down to the wear bars after 1860 miles so I pulled the wheel off and took it to Midway Cycles to get a new one mounted. I saved a few bucks by pulling off the wheel but it was a real PITA to get off.

[​IMG]

Old tire.

[​IMG]

New Michelin City Grip. I expect it to last a lot longer than the OEM tire.

[​IMG]
    Smaug1, Heatery, B10Dave and 5 others like this.
  4. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Then it was time to take my S8 for one last ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to go off to a new home. This has been one of the most fun bikes I have owned. I'll still see it around since I sold it to friends. Hopefully it will make some new scooter converts.

I'm sure some of you will recognize the new owner.

[​IMG]

Luckily I have a good replacement in the garage. The title of this thread is still good since I will still be touring full throttle on a 150.:D
    Smaug1, horseiron1, norton73 and 14 others like this.
  5. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    You sure got your money's worth out of the Super 8!!!
    sealsam and klaviator like this.
  6. ADK

ADK .........................

Oddometer:
    I don't recognize her , but I hope she keeps posting about rides and upkeep on the s8. :thumb
    klaviator likes this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I was too busy wearing out tires the last couple of days to do much posting.

Sunday I met my son for lunch about half way between Atlanta and Huntsville. I found a place on the internet and it turned out to be a good choice.

[​IMG]

This place is in Cloudland, Ga and is around 10 miles from Mentone, Al. No new roads or new scenery so I didn't get a bunch of pics. I think this restaurant recently re-opened so it wasn't nearly as busy as I expected for Sunday lunch. The had a really good buffet. After we finished eating we just hung out and talked. Since they weren't real busy there was no pressure to leave and free up our table. Shortly before we left the chef came out and said they were putting out some to go boxes and we could take whatever we wanted since that would be closed until Thursday and weren't going to save any of the food. I took a bunch of deserts.

It ended up being around 190 miles round trip and the weather was nice.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Since yesterday was Saturday....well it was actually Monday but every day except Sunday is Saturday when you're retired:D, I went for a ride. When I left I had a vague plan but ended up not following it. I headed East on 72 and turned left on 65 which I rode through Paint Rock Valley and up into Tennessee. 65 is a curvy and scenic road and it was a beautiful and cool day today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped to take some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rode a short distance and found another picture spot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I turned off on some back roads and went exploring. I was planning on heading West but ended up going east through Cowan where I stopped to take some more pics. I have been through here a few times but never bothered to stop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This next pic was taken through the old gas station window.

[​IMG]
    black 8, Smaug1, Phipsd and 13 others like this.
  9. norton73

norton73 drinkin' Supporter

Oddometer:

Is Melony gonna put knobbies on it?

:D
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    She is calling it her "grocery gitter". Al was also hoping that it would fit in the back of his truck with the tail gate closed so they could take it with them when they go to Florida with their camper.
    Smaug1, zookster and norton73 like this.
  11. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful as always Win!

Glad to see you out on the Majesty, mine needs to stretch out those legs also. They truly are terrific travel bikes with enough top end to get us through most situations yet not the heavy weight of the big tourers, and like you, I don't give a crap that people say "you tour on a scooter?".

Mine touring around the Alabama Hills, when you come west, add this area to your list klav!

[​IMG]
    bomose, black 8, Smaug1 and 8 others like this.
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After Cowan I continued towards Sewanee. The road has some great curves as it winds its way up the mountain:ricky:ricky

Since I am now on a fixed income I decided to save a few bucks by bringing along a lunch. I found a nice spot to stop and eat it.

[​IMG]

After lunch I continued to Sewanee where I decided to take a detour to check out the University of the South. I have been through here many times but never taken the time to check it out. I just rode through. It's a beautiful campus with a lot of old historic buildings. Maybe someday I'll stop and walk around. For now I just got this one pic.

[​IMG]

I continued on to Monteagle. Monteagle has been a lunch stop on many rides I have been on. Normally we would turn around after lunch and head back to Alabama. On the spur of the moment I decided to ride 41 towards Jasper with the idea that maybe I would stop and check out the Trials Training Center in Sequachie. Also, my map showed 41 as being a scenic road.

Going through Tracy City I saw a small lot filled with rusted out machinery.

[​IMG]

There where also some signs for South Cumberland State park. This park has several different parts. I decided to go checkout one of them. This was South Cumberland State park at Grundy Lakes.

[​IMG]

There was a winding, one lane, one way road around the lakes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty cool, I'm glad I took the time to check it out.

41 did become a real nice road especially as it wound its way down the mountain towards Jasper. I took a left to Sequachie but didn't see any signs for the Trials Training center. I ended up taking a bunch of back roads until I got near I-24 where I stopped to get this pic.

[​IMG]

Beautiful view but look at all that truck traffic on I-24!

From there I headed over to a local fun road (156) where I stopped and took some more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rode up Sand Mountain then through Scottsboro and headed home. I rode just under 300 miles and averaged just over 60 MPG.
  13. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    156 looks NICE!!!
    klaviator likes this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I use 156 when taking 72 & I24 between Huntsville and Chattanooga. It's a fun road and is a nice break from the boring 4 lanes. It's actually a shortcut!
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I went over 18,000 miles on the Majesty on this last ride. It's a great bike for touring. When I come out west I'm going to have a tough decision on which bike to bring.:hmmmmm

Maybe multiple trips and bring a different one each time.

I have a lot of family stuff going on this year and until that gets sorted out I can't make any plans. The big thing is my parents moving this year but there's a bunch of other stuff as well. 2020 looks like it will be the year I can do some long trips.

For the near future I would plan on taking the Like to Deal's Gap and that area. It looks like there will be 3-4 days of dry weather early next week so I'll probably head that way on Monday.

On the 18th is Gymkhanna in Leeds, Alabama and I'm planning on that:happay It will be a blast on the Like just as it was on the Super 8.
    black 8, Smaug1, Heatery and 5 others like this.
  16. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Win. Good to see it didn't take long to get into the swing of retirement. Enjoy your "Saturdays".
  17. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    So many beautiful old westerns were filmed there! :thumb
    sealsam likes this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I ran around doing some errands this morning, stopped at Freedom Powersports and decided I needed a new bike.

[​IMG]
  19. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    no you didnt..... naaaa but.... does it count if its 150cu inches>?
  20. tonymarchman

tonymarchman Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There went the retirement fund, no time to ride now?:-)
    Heatery likes this.