Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I didn't blow my retirement fund on a $15K+ cruiser.

Here's the story. I rode over to Cycle Gear looking for a tail bag for my Like. I found one that I can mount to the back part of the seat and still open the seat up.

Since Cycle Gear is near Freedom Powersports I figured I'd go see what they had in the showroom. I sat on a Z125 and a Grom and decided I fit better on the Z125. My next bike will be a dual sport to replace the KLR when I sell it but someday I would like to get tiny motorcycle.

It just so happened that this was out in the parking lot.

[​IMG]

Indian had their fleet of demo bikes. I couldn't turn down the chance to ride some Indians so I signed up. They had a few mile course set up. Once you sign up you can ride the course to your hearts content and ride as many bikes as you want.

I'm not really a cruiser guy but I have always liked the looks of the Scout. 533 pounds dry and 100 horsepower should make for an entertaining ride. I decided to ride the scout bobber.

[​IMG]

It took me about 50 feet to realize that this was not a comfortable bike. Forward pegs and forward bars fold you up like a pretzel. I was ready to get off after the few mile ride. Other than the riding position it was a nice bike with a great motor.

Time to try another bike with a better riding position.

[​IMG]

I rode the black one with more conventional handlebars. The riding position was much mo betta.

The best looking bike they had IMO was this blue one.

[​IMG]

I have never been a fan of floorboards but I decided to try this one.

[​IMG]

So I took it out. The floorboards were surprisingly comfortable. If I win the lottery I could see buying one of these.

[​IMG]

They had some of the bigger Indians there to ride but I just wasn't in the mood to ride a 9,000 pound behometh.

Then I got on my tiny scooter and rode home:D It does seem to ride a bit better with the new City Grip on the back.
    Smaug1, zookster, Snapper33 and 9 others like this.
  2. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Win; how do street scooter tires compare pricewise with street motorcycle tires? Also; that blue Indian suits you to a T.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Scooter tires generally cost less but also don't last as long. I just put a Michelin City Grip on the back of my Like. I got it for around $75 from a local dealer. I could have gotten it for less than 70 bucks online. I brought the wheel in so mount & balance was another $25. I can get a set of tires for my KLR for less than $100 and mount them myself. Tires for the Versys are a lot more.

That blue Indian was a very nice looking bike. I just can't justify spending that much on a bike. I'm sure the tires for that would be a bit more than what I spend on scooter tires as well.
    TM1(SS), Heatery and B10Dave like this.
  4. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Following your thread for so long I feel like I "know" you, and I'm surprised you haven't gotten a Grom, Monkey, or Z125.
    Smaug1 and klaviator like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Once I replace my KLR with a lighter Dual Sport I'll have all the bikes I "need".

Then I'll have to figure out justification for a tiny motorcycle:D
    Heatery likes this.
  6. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are a fast learner, your new job is working well. I think You deserve a raise already. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the airplane pictures ,I wondered what you drove at night while working.

Looked at S max and the 200cc Like , both good Scoots. cms
  7. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :pynd
    I had zero justification for my Z125 purchase, but it sure is fun!
    Heatery and klaviator like this.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That's the most important justification!
    ultrasheen and MYUMPH like this.
  9. Samspade

Samspade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brief question (and possible ride suggestion). Since you're a pilot, have you ridden over to Tullahoma, TN and gone to the Beechcraft Museum? I'm not a pilot and found the place fascinating.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have not visited it but someone else mentioned it way back in this thread. Someday I'll take the time to check it out.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have a plan for next week......sort of. I'll loading the Like and my new tent into my truck and heading up to Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground on Monday, I plan on riding the area through Thursday and then heading home. I'd like to explore the area near Tellico plains some more and ride Deal's Gap and the new section of the Foothills parkway. I'll head up to some my favorite twisties up by Franklin and Highlands one day and maybe make it down into N. Ga.
    Heatery, Smaug1, zookster and 3 others like this.
  12. TM1(SS)

TM1(SS) Matthew 24:36, Ride today, ride now :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I have finally achieved the perfect bikes that I "need" with my Vespa and an R1200RT.
  13. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    There is a KLR rally at CMT Thursday thru Sunday.....................................
    klaviator likes this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I have to be back in Huntsville next weekend.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Since I have a couple of friends interested in maybe joining me for part of this I had to come up with a plan so here it is.....subject to change.

Monday: Drive up it CMTC, set up camp and then do some exploring near Tellico Plains. Although I have been there many times I looked at Google Maps and there are a lot of roads I haven't ridden yet. Dinner at the Tellicafe around 5 or 6. Maybe a ride a short ways up the Skyway to catch the sunset.

Tuesday: Ride to Deal's Gap via 360, 411, 72, and 129. Get to DGMR around 9. Hang out at Deal's Gap, Ride 129 and other local roads for 3-4 hours. Then go check out the new section of the FHP. Back to the Tellicafe for dinner.

Wednesday. Ride my "ultimate twisties" route up to Franklin and that area and then back.

Thursday. Do a local ride in the morning then pack up and head home hopefully beating rush hour traffic in Chattanooga.

The weather looks pretty nice but a bit chilly. I could see some of the higher elevations not getting above 60 and some morning temps in the 40s or maybe even 30s.

I'm interested is seeing how the Like will do on the twisty and steep mountain roads. The Smax did great on those roads in that it had enough power and handled great. The Like has less power but more than the S-8. What i don't know is how it will handle. It feels great around town but around town is not twisty mountain roads.
    Heatery, Stubanger, zookster and 3 others like this.
  16. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    I've ridden past that place several times back in the days when I took my vacations seeing the sights in the West. GW was President!
    klaviator likes this.
  17. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    On some of the sites I follow; guys are buying up cheap used CBR 300's and installing the 27 HP six speed 300 motors in their Groms. THAT would be fun!
    klaviator likes this.
  18. smack doogle

smack doogle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @klaviator that sounds like a great trip. I look forward to seeing the pics when you return.

A bit off topic but I hope I can be given some direction. If this is out of place please disregard.

I've been following this thread for a year or two as Huntsville and Colorado Springs have been on my mind for two places that have a lot going for them in regards to jobs (I'm retired US Navy and currently a gov't contractor) and outdoor hobbies. To be honest they are places I dream of living (although, anything outside of Maryland/VA/DC is dream-able).

Well, my office was informed last month that we will be officially moving to Redstone no later than 2021 with personnel reporting as early as this fall if they so choose. Of course, being a contractor, there are a lot of unknowns (relocation package offered? Contract renewal/extension, etc.) so anything could happen but I see this as an actual opportunity to get out of here and live somewhere with a low Cost of Living, short commute (currently lose 3.5 hours a day commuting) , and a motorcycle/mountain bike playground out the back door.

So, my question is, what research should I be doing of the greater Huntsville, Al area? I plan to come down for a few days June 7-10 with the wife so we can scope out the area (yes the motorcycles and mountain bike will be coming with to conduct proper scouting) and determine if there are any show stoppers to calling this area home. We are nearly empty nesters as our oldest two are in the military (army and navy) and our youngest will be a Senior next year then running away to college so finding a good school isn't much of a priority.

Any areas we should look at or avoid would be helpful. Thanks!
    zookster likes this.
  19. Smaug1

Smaug1 '19 Kawasaki Versys 1000, '15 SMax

Oddometer:
    I just caught up with this, your blog thread. I also just finally looked where Huntsville is. You're right near a lot of good riding; I'm envious. I have to go 2+ hours to get anywhere with more than a couple twisties.

So... the Super 8 is finally gone. Why? From reading your posts the last couple of years, that one seems to physically fit you the best. Just too many bikes in the 150-200cc range?

So now, you've got:

1. Like
    2. KLR
    3. Majesty
    4. Others?
    Re. the Indian demo, I'm curious why you didn't try the FTR1200? (Indian image)
    [​IMG]

Lastly, I'm a bit surprised to hear you say you didn't like the feet forward riding position, but you seem to like it OK on the Majesty...

My retirement is fast-approaching: 23 more years to go. Probably, it's not good to start counting this soon, but seeing you go out on those "Saturday rides" every week makes me envious. ;)
  20. FenceJumper09

FenceJumper09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Indian demo day here in Birmingham had the FTR but just to look at! It was such a tease!