Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Feet forward is fine. Feet forward and low forward bars was the problem on the bobber.

The super 8 had over 33,000 miles and was wearing out.

No ftr demos were available.
    The Virginian and Smaug1 like this.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Huntsville is great place to live. I'll do a more detailed response after I get back from this trip.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I had an uneventful drive to Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground. When I got there a bunch of Harley riders showed up about the same time The all had Virginia Tags. It turned out it was a tour group of Germans and Austrians Who came here for lunch.

[​IMG]

I checked in, had lunch and set up camp. Then it was time to ride. I started out by wandering around Tellico Plains a bit. I was on a scooter so I just felt like riding around town. I found this place which is run by inmate @Baggi'tard

[​IMG]

It looks like a nice place to stay and has the bonus of being run by someone who really knows the area from a rider's point of view.

Then I decided to go check out Bald River Falls.

This is always a fun road and a good road for my scooter since it's not a real high speed road. Not too much traffic today. Unlike most of the times when I just blast through I stopped a bazillion times to take pictures. I won't bore you with all of them.

I'll just bore you with a few:D

[​IMG]

I turned off on the gravel road that goes over the Skyway but only rode it for a few miles. I did ride it all the way to the Skyway on my S8 but didn't feel like it today.

[​IMG]

I never noticed this little bridge before so I stopped and checked it out.

[​IMG]

It's probably been a long time since this place pumped any gas.

[​IMG]

Another bridge and small waterfalls.

[​IMG]

I got to where tho old Tellico ORV area was and found they had paved the gravel road. It was a pretty nice ride.

[​IMG]

It was not paved all the way through and I soon found myself on an easy gravel road.

[​IMG]

I rode a couple of miles of gravel but thought about riding through to Murphy but changed my mind and turned around.

Got a few more pics on the way back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My kind of sign:wings

[​IMG]

There's a sign that says no parking on the bridge but.....

[​IMG]

back in civilization.

[​IMG]

Then I had dinner at the Tellicafe then headed back to CMTC to use their WiFi and post this.

Low tonight is forecast to be 45. I'm glad I brought my warm sleeping bag.

I'll be heading over to Deal's Gap tomorrow morning to meet up with Steve and @TrashCan
    shovde, strommonster, PC7A and 24 others like this.
  4. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Win; you can't post enough of your great pics to bore us. On the contrary, I find them all very interesting.
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    The New York Times had a recent article on Huntsville, AL. It gets into industrial development ups & downs, nothing real exciting but includes the Remington bankruptcy fiasco. One of my DIL's is from near there. Playing golf with my son in Homewood i asked why the high speed fans pointed at the greens? The answer includes my main dislike of things AL-> HEAT- LOTS of HEAT!
    Congrats on retirement Klaviator! Enjoy this new journey in life. You'll wonder how you had time for life when you were clocking in.
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  6. Smaug1

Smaug1 '19 Kawasaki Versys 1000, '15 SMax

Oddometer:
    You have a very good eye and good composition.

One cool thing about riding pictures is that most times, you can work the bike in somewhere, so it's more than just a landscape.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I got up and was on the road by 7 this morning. It was around 45 and foggy but soon started to clear up.

[​IMG]

It didn't feel too cold until I got on 129, much of which runs along the water. I warmed up a bit by stopping a lot and taking pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I got on the "dragon", in other words the twisty part of 129. I'm still not used to riding the Like on really twisty roads so I was a bit tentative. It feels like it's going faster than it really is so I tended to go into curves slower than I needed to. On top of that i haven't figured out yet how far I can lean it before stuff starts scraping.

I stopped at the overlook.

[​IMG]

I rode a bit more then stopped to take some pics. Before I had the chance to take any pics this character showed up.

[​IMG]

So I took some pics with him in them.

[​IMG]
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We got to DGMR right at 9. As you would expect we had no trouble finding parking spots.

[​IMG]

Taking the obligitory tourist photo.

[​IMG]

We ate breakfast there and Steve joined us. Afterwards we did some riding. This is a mile or so from DGMR.

[​IMG]

Then we rode the back roads from Tapoca to Fontana. The pavement was great, it's at least as twisty as the dragon and NO TRAFFIC:ricky:ricky:ricky

I was too busy riding to take any pics.

We rode back through the dragon and took a break at the overlook.

[​IMG]

By the time we got to the overlook I was starting to get comfortable riding the like on these curves. I plan on coming back and making multiple runs so I can really get the feel for the Like on curvy roads.

Then we rode through happy valley and picked up the Foothills Parkway. We got off on 321 to get gas and some snacks. This is actually the parking lot of a gas station. Pretty nice spot for a break.

[​IMG]
  9. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you're having a really nice time riding the area. Pics are great.
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After a break we got back on the Parkway and rode the new section which just opened a few months ago. Steve and I swapped bikes. I was riding his V Strom and he rode my scooter for the first time. I took the next few pics while riding his Strom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we got to the end we turned around and rode it the other direction.

[​IMG]

Steve taking a selfie.

[​IMG]

The new part of the FHP is a much nicer road than the old part IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped and took another break.

[​IMG]

Did I mention it was a beautiful day for a ride.

[​IMG]

Jerry took the Like for a short spin.

[​IMG]

Jerry Soon broke off and headed home. Steve and I rode back to Tellico where we had a great dinner at the Tellicafe. A group if riders came in and it turned out that two of them where guys I used to ride with in the HSTA many years ago.

[​IMG]

After dinner Steve headed home to Blue Ridge and I headed back the the campground where I now sit typing this.

I averaged around 80 MPG and rode close to 250 miles.

Tomorrow Steve and Jerry plan on meeting me in Robbinsville and we will hopefully have another great day of riding.
  11. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Were ya'll still at the pull off when HurryCain came up leading the Supermotard crew?
  12. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We passed them on the road.
  13. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

They weren't all using two wheels when I met them.

:lol3
    klaviator likes this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Less tire wear that way:D
    TrashCan likes this.
  15. Smaug1

Smaug1 '19 Kawasaki Versys 1000, '15 SMax

Oddometer:
    I recognize the guy on the right, Dave Brickner. He's still active in the MSTA and usually hosts the "Fall Colors Rally" along the BRP. Nice guy. The guy next to him looks familiar, but I can't place him...

Are you an MSTA member, Klaviator? If not, you should consider joining again. It's a lot of fun. You've got time to join all the rallies now and many of them aren't too far from you.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The guy next to him is Clyde from Maryland but I don't know his last name. I was very active in the HSTA/MSTA from 93 to around 05 then I let my membership lapse because I just didn't have the time to attend events. Now that I'm retired I may join again.
    Smaug1 likes this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I was up early this morning again. Got a pic of my camp and new tent.

[​IMG]

It was cold again this morning, in the 40s but not foggy. I rode over the Skyway. It really wasn't much colder at the top than at lower elevations. It still looked more like early spring at higher elevations.

[​IMG]

This was a good test of the like's hill climbing ability. It would do 40+ on even the steepest parts of the Skyway. The Super 8 was a good 5 MPH slower on the hills and the Smax about 5 MPH faster.

I was pretty cold by the time I got ot Robbinsville where I met Jerry for breakfast at McDs. Then we rode to the raft put in site at the beginning of Wayah Rd where we met up with Steve.

[​IMG]

Steve was on his new V Strom 1000. He got a great deal on a NOS 2014 model. Here he is telling Jerry all about it.

[​IMG]

I snapped this pic for the "your bike at a Bridge" thread.

[​IMG]

It was still chilly but a beautiful day.

[​IMG]
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    We rode 74, 28, and one of my "secret" roads to Franklin. (secret means I can't remember the name and am too lazy to look it up:lol3) After Franklin more twisty roads to one of my favorite places to take a break.

[​IMG]

There is a beach here and some nice scenery but it was cold and windy today. We were pretty bundled up and it still felt cold here but.........

I couldn't believe it.

[​IMG]

So we hung out for a while and BS'd.

[​IMG]

They were talking about airplanes or something but I know what was really on their minds:evil
    [​IMG]

Being a happily married man I went looking for some other scenery:D

[​IMG]

Then I moved to another vantage point and waited for Steve and Jerry so I could get some "action" pics. While I was waiting.

[​IMG]

Here they come.

[​IMG]

And there they go.

[​IMG]

I think I used about all of my zoom for this next one. It's a bit blurry, I could have used a tripod for this, but I think the effect is cool.

[​IMG]
  19. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoying this. We like the franklin and highlands area.
    klaviator likes this.
  20. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer:
    nice senery
    klaviator likes this.