Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, it's a complicated fuel injected motor with a computer controlling the FI and ignition. I have a screwdriver and wrench. What am I going to be able to fix?
    Heatery likes this.
  2. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It turns out I only needed tools to get to the engine. Fixing was done with my bare hands. The Spark Plug Cap had come loose and was barely touching the end of the Plug. It had enough contact for idle but not enough for anything more.

So I put everything back together and was on my way.

One of Cleveland's crown Jewels is it's Metro Parks system. There is something called the "emerald necklace" which is a string of beautiful parks that pretty much surround the metro area. These next two pics are taken in one of those parks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to ride the whole "necklace" later in the week but today my goal was to check out the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

The Park was not like any other national Park I have visited and is not clearly marked. I think the next pic might show part of the park. The bridge is an interstate highway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heatery, Phipsd, kpinvt and 10 others like this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    So I rode around some. This was a nice twisty road up a hill. Was I in the Park?

:dunno

Maybe.

[​IMG]

This was in the Park but it appears that there is no real boundary and there are private houses mixed in with Park exhibits.

[​IMG]

This road could use some paving but the Like handled this stuff OK.

[​IMG]
    Heatery, kpinvt, gulfcoaster and 8 others like this.
  4. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The cuyahoga river park system is nice.. used to work in solon and chagrin falls. Grew up in kent, escaped in the early seventys. Get up to hiram every year, really is some good riding on the secondary roads. Have fun.
    klaviator likes this.
  5. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yee Yee Yee! That's some "live action" there folks. Turtle Man ain't got nothin on you Klav! Breaks down on the side of the road, never stops posting pics AND fixes scooter and keeps on going.
    black 8 and klaviator like this.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I didn't post anything until my ride was done. I normally post from my computer not my phone.
    kantuckid likes this.
  7. klaviator

Oddometer:
    The forecast called for a 40% chance of rain... As I was riding along I saw all 40% and then some in front of me so I turned around and found a place to stop for lunch. After the rain stopped I rode on heading back to my folks house.

They really dress up some of the bridges in NE Ohio. This wasn't the only one like this.

[​IMG]

I stopped at the South Chagrin Metro Park and decided to do a little hike. Since I had my rain jacket and pants under the seat I couldn't stash all my riding gear out of sight.

[​IMG]

I did a pretty cool hike that took me down some stairs on the cliff alongside the Chagrin River.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a ton of spandex warriors out today but unlike many of the bicyclists in the N. Ga mountains they all rode single file and kept to the right.

[​IMG]

I only rode about 120 miles but given the low speed limits and traffic it took until late afternoon to do it. NE Ohio is not exactly exciting riding but the scenery is pretty cool. I enjoyed it on my Like but I don't think I'd want to ride my Versys around here.

I will probably ride across town to Cleveland Moto on Tuesday and check out some stuff on the west side like Edgwater Park. Then I'll ride the "emerald Necklace" around town and back to the East side. Maybe ride East to Geneva on the Lake later in the week.
    Heatery, Phipsd, kpinvt and 10 others like this.
  8. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    one of these just popped into a dealer down in San Diego... it's got 25cc more than the Honda Monkey and I may take a look at it later when I get back from FL...
    5d13da513f96000d9d7907b4.jpg
    Heatery, B10Dave, gulfcoaster and 5 others like this.
  9. FatherX

FatherX out of bubblegum Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you are getting to cherry pick the 4 or 5 good rods in NEO .
    Be safe out there.

If you get to CLE Moto on Friday after 7pm you will find the shop "closed" but the mic is on.
    https://www.buzzsprout.com/112122

You are welcome to borrow my DRZ400 or WeeStrom if you need a displacement fix.

Could also head a little east for a gravel tour of the covered bridges in Ashtabula (although you've probably already been at some point?).
    klaviator likes this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:

I really like the Spade. 150cc, four valve motor with a 5 speed tranny and a lot less $$ than a Monkey bike. See if they will let you ride it. I have seen reports of 70 MPH but I'm not sure they are accurate.

Have a good ride to FL and enjoy your time with your parents Rudy.
    black 8 likes this.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for the offer. The WeeStrom and DRZ are great bikes but I am finding my Like just about perfect for the riding around here. I've got a Versys and KLR waiting for me when I get home if I want more power.

My plan for tomorrow is to get on the road at the tail end of rush hour and ride straight across town towards Cleveland Moto. They don't open until 11 so I will check out Edgwater park and maybe some other stuff along the lake or down town then return to Cleveland Moto. Maybe some lunch then I'll ride the Emerald Necklace around town. Should be a fairly full day of riding and picture taking. I know most people tend to try to avoid urban riding and I normally do to but my main goal is to see some of the cool stuff in Cleveland and take some pics. This is one type of riding where a scooter is just way better than a motorcycle.

I did ride around for about an hour today but didn't take any pics.

I have not seen the Ashtabula covered bridges. For that matter I have not done much riding in that direction with the exception that I used to ride to Mentor Headlands beach a lot.
  12. FatherX

FatherX out of bubblegum Supporter

Oddometer:
    Understandable.

There are quite a few out that way.
    IMG_20141021_174650025_HDR-EFFECTS.jpg

This one (not covered obviously) was in Painesville but has been replaced.
    IMG_20141205_115300768_HDR.jpg

Happy scooting!
  13. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I got on the road a little before 9 this morning and headed straight for the heart of Cleveland. This would be some serious urban riding. I doubt many riders would enjoy this kind of riding. It was mostly 25-35 MPH speed limits, heavy traffic, one light after another, crappy road surfaces and numerous construction zones. This type of riding takes a lot of concentration and is not very exciting. Being on a scooter with no clutch or shifter to mess with makes it a lot easier. I found the scenery fascinating. It's a totally different world from all the places I have lived in the last 30+ years. I took some pics on the go but I don't think I really captured what the ride was really like.

I filled up about 8 miles into the ride. 120 miles on the Odo and 1.2 Gallons. That makes the math simple, 100MPG....again.

Some pics:

I think this was Mayfield Rd.

[​IMG]

Entering Cleveland.

[​IMG]

Little Italy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think somewhere after this next pic I took a wrong turn and ended up on Chester.

[​IMG]

So I followed Chester through Cleveland State university which I graduated from back in 82. I didn't recognize anything as I rode through.

I continued downtown.

[​IMG]

The urban jungle.

[​IMG]

There was a lot of construction. There is also a glimpse of the Terminal Tower in the next pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heatery, EZMoney, B10Dave and 8 others like this.
  14. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Now I was on the West side. I stopped and took off the light jacket I had on under my mesh jacket. It was heating up but still comfortable, the forecast high was 83, about 10 degrees cooler than Huntsville.

[​IMG]

Some typical old but well maintained Cleveland houses.

[​IMG]

Lorain Avenue was a long construction zone.

[​IMG]

I rode past Cleveland Moto but it would be about an hour before it opened. No problem, I had places to see. I continued on to the Valley Parkway.

[​IMG]

It was a nice change from the urban jungle.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what I did at the end of the parkway but I ended up in Rocky River. There are some beautiful homes there, many of them with views of the lake. Can you say$$$? I didn't take any pics but did get a shot of the view.

[​IMG]
    Heatery, EZMoney, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I finally got on the road I wanted to be on and headed east towards Edgwater Park. I hadn't even thought of riding there but someone on the regional Forum suggested it. Great Advice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A pic for the "where's Waldo" thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even got the B.F. Goodrich blimp in the next pic.

[​IMG]

A closeup

[​IMG]
    Heatery, EZMoney, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  16. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The MLB All-Star game is in Cleveland tonight. Home Run Derby last night. Probably explains the GoodYear blimp.
    klaviator likes this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Time to retrace my route back to Cleveland Moto. There were a lot of really cool old houses on my route.

[​IMG]

Unlike the pic above many had big porches.

Not a house but pretty cool:

[​IMG]

I tried to retrace my route but got messed up and took a different route which ended up pretty nice anyway. I stopped by Taco Hell and got quick lunch then:

[​IMG]

This place is not one of those modern mega dealers and its not a moto "boutique" either. It's just and old fashioned moto shop with a heavy emphasis on scooters.

[​IMG]

They also had a lot of motorcycles, mostly European brands like Ducati, Moto Guzzi and Triumph as well as some Japanese bikes.

I liked the color on this Kymco 300:

[​IMG]

This next scooter was interesting. It was supposed to be a Scomadi but there was a falling out between Scomadi and the Chinese company producing it so it ended up being branded "Royal Alloy."

[​IMG]

It's a 150 with a steel body similar to Vespa.

[​IMG]

It definitely has the vintage look.

The Genuine 400 looked pretty good and was priced lower than the similar Yamaha SR400.

[​IMG]

There were a number of used and vintage bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buddy 125 with side car.

[​IMG]

I think this next one would be perfect for @Bar None to use for Busa Down patrol:lol3

[​IMG]
    NxtGoRnd, Heatery, Bar None and 10 others like this.
  18. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff!
    klaviator likes this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After checking out all the cool stuff at Cleveland Moto it was time to head "home". I followed another suggestion made by an inmate on the regional forum and took the Emerald Necklace all the way around town. This is a parkway that links a bunch of Metro Parks together. It would be an exciting ride if it didn't have a 30 MPH speed limit and a ton of traffic. And this was on a week day, I'd hate to seeit on a weekend.

Despite this it was a pleasant ride. It is scenic, especially the first part as it runs through the Rocky River valley. It was quite a change from the asphalt jungle ride I did in the morning.

I did take a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This would make a nice accessory for riding in the Alabama heat:D

[​IMG]

I found a section of Cuyahoga National Park that I missed last time but it never felt like I was in a Park. It just seemed like another road. At least I got to take a pic with my bike by the sign.

[​IMG]

Then I had to ride a few miles through city traffic to get to the South Chagrin reservation and from there it was Chagrin River road most of the rest of the way.

My total for the day was around 130 miles. That may not seem like much for a day's ride but considering the type of riding I did it was a full days ride.

I'll be mostly helping out my parents the next couple of days. The weather won't be that great for riding anyway but Friday and Saturday look nice so I'll ride then
    Heatery, EZMoney, kpinvt and 10 others like this.
  20. steveb126

steveb126 Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed Edgewater and emerald necklace, the gems of Cleveland !
    kpinvt and klaviator like this.