Full Throttle Touring - 150 through the Rocket City

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by klaviator, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Stubanger

Stubanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a great pic of the like with the fountain! But then again its extremely rare for klav to take a bad one!
    klaviator likes this.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Cleveland has a lot of cool stuff. I guess I didn't really appreciate it when I lived here. The thing is that when you live somewhere everything becomes commonplace and you don't see it the same way as someone new to the area or just visiting. I could see getting bored with the riding around here pretty fast if I lived here but much of what I rode yesterday was new to me which made it interesting.
    steveb126 likes this.
  3. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I take plenty of bad pics. I just try not to post them:D
  4. SStiffler

SStiffler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Goodyear blimp!
    klaviator and rbsride365 like this.
  5. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That was an old joke, calling it the B. F. Goodrich blimp. I was wondering if anyone would notice it.

I think the joke came from an old TV shop here in Cleveland which most of you are probably to young to remember. Anyone remember the Big Chuck and Hoolihan show?
    FatherX, SStiffler and steveb126 like this.
  6. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy shit! Big chuck and hoolihan!! Ghoulardi!
    klaviator likes this.
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a former GOODYEAR man, yes I caught the pic thing. :deal
    I had never heard of a blimp name discussion and found the answer on the Lighter than Air Society website- www.blimpinfo.com
    Seems both BF Goodrich and GY built and sold blimps for the navy ~ 1917, then later ~ 1970 BF Goodrich had an tires/ad campaign as to how they were the "other guys" whose name wasn't on the blimp, thus playing off the GY blimp we all see at games, etc..
    Didn't see a radio show reference though?

This RR could be called: The klaviator homesick tour?:D

Back a few months ago, when klaviator said he was going up to help the old folks move I was feeling sorry for him as moving people is sucky, don't I know that...
    Now we learn that like always, the klaviators out scootin and having fun. :lol2
    My/our last visit there was a baseball game then another year previous was on the edge of the "Dog Pound" at a FB game and about 5 below zero.
    I can truthfully say it was an uncomfortable place to be for a KC Chiefs fan-Browns came back to win and we lived to tell the story.:-)
    Not far below Cleveland in the Amish rural areas, the riding gets even better, in fact IMO, better than much of KY.
  8. klaviator

Oddometer:
    I have been doing some riding but I have also have been working. My parents have been living in this house for 43 years so they have accumulated a lot of stuff. They have a house with a basement and 2 car garage, there is also a separate 1.5 car garage as well as a 32 x 40ft barn. We have been getting rid of a ton of stuff.

Yesterday was a work day for me and today will be as well. Friday is forecast for a high of 74 degrees and sunny so I'll be out riding. I'm thinking of heading East and checking out Mentor Headlands beach and Geneva on the Lake.

Sunday I'll be heading back to Hot and Humid Alabama. I'll come back to Ohio towards the end of the month but without my scooter:(
  9. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd guess your folks are sort of melancholy about leaving Ohio? or is this somewhat of a sea change for them?
    I miss my home place but truth is I've outlived all my relatives shy of a bunch of cousins. Life marches on. I doubt they'll miss N OH come this winter. :lol2
    Wow, 74- that's frigid right now.
    klaviator likes this.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:
    My Dad likes the idea of moving but my Mom hates the idea of leaving Ohio and isn't looking forward to the Alabama summer heat. She realizes they can no longer keep up with their 3.5 acre mini farm and many of her friends have died or moved south to be near their kids. So that is what they will be doing.

No they won't miss the winter storms. I'll miss coming up here to visit. Ohio can be very nice in the Summer but I have no desire to move back here. I can see myself coming Maybe back to SE Ohio because there is some great riding there. The problem is that there is a lot of great riding I want to do and only so much time to do it. I'm hoping to ride the BRP up into Virginia and visit some inmates there later this summer. I'm also hoping to make it out west in September.

It was 90 degrees here yesterday and forecast to be only 74 tomorrow. Temperatures are like a roller coaster here.

Enough of my rambling. Hopefully I'll get some good pics on my ride tomorrow.
    Chafer, staticPort, sealsam and 2 others like this.
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in a holding mode for a ride into OH/WV and perhaps VA BRP. Way hot now here other than 3.5" of rain just this afternoon . Next week begins with 2-3 days of 100% rain plus hot.
    I'll never move back home either, what I mostly miss is people not places... I'll also never move to live with my kids either AL/TN/TX as we all enjoy the "space" between us and relish family time when it comes around!
    I was just with people from several places in OH today, all have moved to KY as land is much cheaper here and they cut back on real estate.
  12. wavygravy87

wavygravy87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I worked on and test rode the same model scooter as yours at work last week. I was pretty damn impressed with it. I'd like to get one for when the lady wants to tag along.

Bet you are having a good time riding some new territory. Thanks for the great pics and the tour!
    klaviator likes this.
  13. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geneva, great place, go a little farther to middlefield, lots of amish stuff. Watch the horse droppings on tbe road.Mcdonalds has a place to park the buggies and horses.
    klaviator likes this.
  14. SStiffler

SStiffler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get to Geneva on the Lake and eat at Eddie's Grill.
    klaviator likes this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm doing right now!
    SStiffler likes this.
  16. klaviator

Oddometer:
    It's middle of July and the forecast high temperature for today was a steamy 75 degrees. So it made perfect sense to head for the beach.

[​IMG]

I had heard that the beach and parking lot where flooded recently but it was OK today.

There wasn't a great place to get my scooter in the pics with the beach so I took a short hike.

[​IMG]

Not many people sunbathing today. I couldn't figure out why:scratch

[​IMG]

There was artwork on the buildings.

[​IMG]

There are a lot of beautiful waterfront homes on Lake Erie but there has been a lot of erosion so I don't know how long these place will survive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A local restaurant that I forget the name of.

[​IMG]
    cabanza, zookster, Stubanger and 4 others like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After the beach I pretty much followed the Lake Erie Coastal Ohio Trail to the east.

[​IMG]

This route uses a bunch of different roads to hit the high points along the lake. There are numerous little parks along the way. I stopped and took pics at a bunch of them but won't post all the pics.

Being that this is along a lake you would expect some lighthouses.

[​IMG]

And I found some more red brick roads!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same lighthouse, different vantage point. This was at the end of a residential street. The houses here have quite a view.

[​IMG]

And easy access to a beach.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    cabanza, zookster, Stubanger and 5 others like this.
  18. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Ya think they have enough tar snakes here?

[​IMG]

I stopped in here to see if I could join the club but nobody was there. I figure with my badass scooter they would let me join:dunno

[​IMG]

The water level of Lake Erie was a little bit high.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not exactly what you normally see parked in front of a house.

[​IMG]
    cabanza, zookster, norton73 and 5 others like this.
  19. klaviator

Oddometer:
    As I rode into Geneva on the Lake I realized I didn't remember ever being here before. This place is quite the tourist trap.

[​IMG]

Approaching this town I had seen numerous ads for Eddies Grill.

[​IMG]

This place was packed and it wasn't even a weekend.

I ordered, got my food and sat down to eat. I decided to check the forum on my phone and found that @SStiffler had posted: "Get to Geneva on the Lake and eat at Eddie's Grill." Perfect timing!

I had already started eating when I read the post but I had to prove I was there so:

[​IMG]

This place was really bustling.

[​IMG]

I couldn't leave without desert and since it was so hot:

[​IMG]
    SStiffler, cabanza, zookster and 9 others like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    After lunch I continued east. The road had a nice view of the lake for a bit.

[​IMG]

The roads themselves were boring riding. If not for the scenery and the fact that I was exploring this would have been a very boring ride.

Years ago I went to cool little harbor which I thought was Geneva on the lake but was actually Ashtabula. That was one of the places I wanted to see on this ride because of the view there.

[​IMG]

I took a bunch of pics here experimenting with different angles and I used both cameras.

A view of the drawbridge using my Olympus.

[​IMG]

And my Sony. I shot this from much further back and used the zoom for this one.

[​IMG]

This was a nice little park.

[​IMG]

This house was just behind the park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    B10Dave, cabanza, zookster and 7 others like this.